Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I must have missed that Miles Wood missed almost the whole season after a hip injury in preseason.

Appleton - 21 P in 58 GP
Bear - 14 P in 58 GP
Bratt - 73 P in 76 GP
Crouse - 34 P in 65 GP
Geekie - 22 P in 73 GP
Joseph - 30 P in 69 GP
Kapanen - 32 P in 79 GP
Kolesar - 24 P in 77 GP
Kylington - 31 P in 73 GP
Lajoie - 0 P in 5 GP
Lorentz - 13 P in 67 GP
Lundestrom - 29 P in 80 GP
MacEwen - 9 P in 75 GP
Mangiapane - 55 P in 82 GP
Phllips - No NHL games (68 P in 65 AHL games)
Puljujarvi - 36 P in 65 GP
Thompson - 0 P in 2 GP
Tkachuk - 104 P in 82 GP
Trenin - 24 P in 80 GP
Walman - 10 P in 51 GP
Wood - 0 P in 3 GP
Yamamoto - 41 P in 81 GP
Zacha - 36 P in 70 GP

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Pacioretty has durability concerns, and has 2 years left at $7M at 34 years old.

"Jesse Granger, Golden Knights beat writer: I don’t think the Golden Knights viewed Pacioretty as expendable, but they backed themselves into a corner against the salary cap and were forced to make a painful subtraction in order to get out of it. Perhaps Vegas felt Pacioretty wouldn’t remain healthy enough to live up to his $7 million cap hit, considering he’s battled multiple injuries over the last several years and played in only 39 games last season."
Uh, no he doesn't.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They are paying more money and more term to 37 year old Brent Burns. And they had to trade assets to get Burns.
They're also in "win now" mode.

Burns played 26 minutes a night the last two seasons, so they figure he's unlikely to break down in the near future. In fact, 2020-21 is the only season in the last 8 where he missed a game. So he's obviously an outlier.

He'll probably play 20-22 minutes a night in Carolina with Slavin (23:32), Pesce (21:42), and Skjei (21:09) rounding out the top four.

Uh, no he doesn't.
My bad, I believed what I read on a Vegas site instead of checking Cap Friendly.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It’s almost like Carolina is the best front office in the league & doesn’t box themselves into picking a “win now” or “future” mode at once.

They didn’t box themselves into a corner where they had to bring back certain players regardless of contract demand & they still found better players on better contract fits.

The opposite of somebody else I know.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They think paying 37 year old Brent Burns 3 x $5.28m is better than paying 27 year old Tony DeAngelo 2 x $5m.
Would you have paid 37 year old Pronger that money if he missed 6 games over the previous 8 years and played 26 minutes a night?

We're not talking a typical 37 year old player.

A good gamble for a team in "win now" mode.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Burns can still play. I’d imagine Carolina will leverage his strengths & minimize his weaknesses better than most at this point. Obviously he’ll be going from a bad team to a good team.

Carolina minimized the caphit under $6M for Burns. Even if he does fall off in another year or so I’d have confidence in Carolina’s current management to get rid of that contract with minimal damage.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Burns can still play. I’d imagine Carolina will leverage his strengths & minimize his weaknesses better than most at this point. Obviously he’ll be going from a bad team to a good team.

Carolina minimized the caphit under $6M for Burns. Even if he does fall off in another year or so I’d have confidence in Carolina’s current management to get rid of that contract with minimal damage.

Chuck will need to add to his stable of Not Good Defensively RHDs, so Burns will fit that bill what that happens.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I'm being serious btw I don't have my finger on the pulse of the NHL right now. Apathy and all that
Canadian Dollar (I know they're paid in USD)? Canada? Rumors of them messing around with Gaudreau during his last contract negotiation? It could be anything, obviously.

The two main players that are leaving town are Americans so I can't help but think that probably plays a role in it. I know very little about Calgary but it doesn't exactly scream destination to me as an American.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Canadian Dollar (I know they're paid in USD)? Canada? Rumors of them messing around with Gaudreau during his last contract negotiation? It could be anything, obviously.

The two main players that are leaving town are Americans so I can't help but think that probably plays a role in it. I know very little about Calgary but it doesn't exactly scream destination to me as an American.
Oh I see I was thinking there was some magnitude of turmoil that I was missing or something. Not every day the 2 best players on a pretty good team jump ship

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm being serious btw I don't have my finger on the pulse of the NHL right now. Apathy and all that

I think those rural Canadian cities like Calgary, Edmonton, & Winnipeg generally poll poorly in those player polls for most desired city in the league. I think Canada in general gets dinged for being a fishbowl with the fans & media there compared to the States.

Calgary’s going to be bad with Gaudreau so those perceived drawbacks with the off ice situation gets magnified.

I’m not trying to take shots here at those places but it’s fair to say it’s not for everybody. In Gaudreau & Tkachuk you have two American players from the Philadelphia & St. Louis metro areas respectively. That’s a far way home for both of those guys. The cultures are noticeably pretty different.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I think those rural Canadian cities like Calgary, Edmonton, & Winnipeg generally poll poorly in those player polls for most desired city in the league. I think Canada in general gets dinged for being a fishbowl with the fans & media there compared to the States.

Calgary’s going to be bad with Gaudreau so those perceived drawbacks with the off ice situation gets magnified.

I’m not trying to take shots here at those places but it’s fair to say it’s not for everybody. In Gaudreau & Tkachuk you have two American players from the Philadelphia & St. Louis metro areas respectively. That’s a far way home for both of those guys. The cultures are noticeably pretty different.
Yes sir- completely understood. Like I said I didn't know if there was drama or not. Brutal for flames fans though sheesh

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I understand that lawyers have to sometimes do some dirty work for their clients because that's their job, but this goes way beyond that. This is actually despicable. Like, no human should have to be subjected to this.
Screenshot_20220721-133907_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad