Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Leadership is real. But it can come from anyone and the guy with the C is not necessarily the top guy in the that depth.

When the film crew went into the lockerroom, we often saw Laughton as a guy speaking up. Being a Flyer for so long aids in this.

We saw the impact Jagr had getting Hartnell in the best shape of his life, renting icetime at night, etc...

We know how dedicated MacKinnon is toward his own health and training. For sure others will follow because of this, especially young guys. Others, not so much.

Was Mike Richard's a good leader when asked by coaches and mgt to stop drinking, and refused? On paper, the answer is no. And off ice, others following that lead was not a good thing. But on the ice, Richard's did everything you could ever ask of a leader and captain.

So maybe there is no cut and dry right answer either way.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Crosby is a hilarious example, when the Penguins were poorly coached he was assigned the blame and it was asserted that his leadership was the biggest reason for failure. Then they get a good coach and suddenly, overnight, he's Mr Leadership. What a crock of shit.

Hayes did this without being the captain.

Players aren't more entitled, the percentage of cap hit for star players has dropped overall.
As you pointed out he took the brunt of the blame. Another example of a great Captain. Thanks for making my point more clear Beef.

And Hayes is a leader and should have a letter. He is a team first player and a leader.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Was Giroux a good captain?
Average. Very good early on but last couple years he eased off. Maybe was part way to Ottawa already, maybe too busy being a Dad, who knows. Every player is different. A good Captain will figure out when to light a fire in the room, is in constant communication with management and will have his coaches back and vice versa.

That doesn't make any sense.
Just because you can’t figure it out doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Average. Very good early on but last couple years he eased off. Maybe was part way to Ottawa already, maybe too busy being a Dad, who knows. Every player is different. A good Captain will figure out when to light a fire in the room, is in constant communication with management and will have his coaches back and vice versa.

The problem here is that you have absolutely no idea what he does behind closed doors and you're incorrectly tying his ability as a leader, a captain, and as a player to the shitty roster construction of this team.

The team hasn't been shitty the last couple of years because "he eased off" and it wasn't "wasn't very good early on" because he was pedal to the metal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

No, please explain how a player being blamed for something that isn't their fault is remotely good or productive

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Having leaders is always going to be a thing that influences group dynamics, but that's not what this discussion is about. Hockey tradition just lionizes the Captaincy more than any other major sport. It's one of the core tenets of the subculture. A sign for the true believers. Is what it is.

Read any post about why NHL Captaincy is different from normal leadership and there will invariably be bitching about today's players or people today. That's not a coincidence

*Edit* hahahahahahahaha
The Captain thing is overblown.

The leadership thing isn't, but it's usually a core group of veterans who lead both by example and verbally, some are more extroverted, others simply outworked their peers and shame them into working harder. If your star players glide, aren't in top shape, and otherwise give the impression that's it's "just a job," young players can be led astray.

Hayes will be interesting to watch under Torts, there's no doubt he sacrificed his body for the team, but like JVR, there's also no doubt that at times he loses focus when he doesn't have the puck.

Torts has already said he's going to push Hayes, and I suspect JVR as well (now that he's stuck with him), the way he did Atkinson in CBJ. Asking them to "be all they can be" by making every shift count and play a complete game. If you can get your most talented veterans to buy in, it's easier to carry the rest of the team (Couts won't be an issue in this regard).

Provorov is a different issue, his work ethic is unquestioned, what Torts has to do is convince him to play to his strengths and not try to be what he isn't, he can be an impact defender but he'll always be best as second fiddle to an offensive partner.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The Captain thing is overblown.

The leadership thing isn't, but it's usually a core group of veterans who lead both by example and verbally, some are more extroverted, others simply outworked their peers and shame them into working harder. If your star players glide, aren't in top shape, and otherwise give the impression that's it's "just a job," young players can be led astray.

Hayes will be interesting to watch under Torts, there's no doubt he sacrificed his body for the team, but like JVR, there's also no doubt that at times he loses focus when he doesn't have the puck.

Torts has already said he's going to push Hayes, and I suspect JVR as well (now that he's stuck with him), the way he did Atkinson in CBJ. Asking them to "be all they can be" by making every shift count and play a complete game. If you can get your most talented veterans to buy in, it's easier to carry the rest of the team (Couts won't be an issue in this regard).

Provorov is a different issue, his work ethic is unquestioned, what Torts has to do is convince him to play to his strengths and not try to be what he isn't, he can be an impact defender but he'll always be best as second fiddle to an offensive partner.
I wonder if Provy is training far far too much and that his hurting his play.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Slow starts. Being unprepared. Lethargic play is not on the captain in any way.

Captains aren't in charge of preparation. That's the coach's job.

Give the C to any player on the roster in any given game and it would have zero impact on how it unfolded. Wouldn't change the slow starts, wouldn't fix the bad coaching, wouldn't fix the lack of talent on the roster.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Giroux didn’t fight enough or hit enough. That’s what’s most important with this franchise because you have to uphold that tough guy mentality in this town. I bet some were clamoring for Dan Carcilo and Ben Eager to be captain of this franchise.
Hopefully in my lifetime the Flyers get with the 21st century. But I won’t hold my breath.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Give the C to any player on the roster in any given game and it would have zero impact on how it unfolded. Wouldn't change the slow starts, wouldn't fix the bad coaching, wouldn't fix the lack of talent on the roster.

Wouldn’t fix the shitty defenseman on this team and poor goaltending. But Giroux gets hate because he wasn’t a tough guy. People think that’s the most important thing.
Poor management and poor goaltending will always put a team at a disadvantage. Coaching matters in every sport. For the most part they have come up incredibly small in coaching and management for the last decade. At least.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
The only correct answer to was Giroux or anyone else is a good Captain is, “How the hell would I know?” No, you’re not so good at reading between the lines that you can tell from tv interviews.

Just like everyone else here, my opinion has no basis in reality to even consider it. We don’t know the nuts and bolts or how it fits into the larger picture. We know nothing other than how to pick out pieces of info that confirm our priors.

The arrogance it takes to speak to that authoritatively is staggering.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The captain is not like an NFL QB. Leadership in hockey is a group affair. The bigger the group the better. If you need your captain to handle the lion's share of motivation and preparation, then you have a bad roster full of slob anchors and a bad coach. None of that is the captain's fault and there's nothing any captain can do to change those things.

It's not a coincidence that all the "good" captains happen to play for really good teams with strong rosters. The teams aren't good because of their captains. They're good because they're well-made. Weird how all the honking over Toews being a leadership god disappeared when the team took a dive in quality. I doubt he forgot how to lead or is doing anything differently.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
The problem here is that you have absolutely no idea what he does behind closed doors and you're incorrectly tying his ability as a leader, a captain, and as a player to the shitty roster construction of this team.

The team hasn't been shitty the last couple of years because "he eased off" and it wasn't "wasn't very good early on" because he was pedal to the metal.
Your correct. Only the players truly know. I don’t think the team was shitty because he eased off. I do think he did ease off though.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Great teams are more than the sum of its parts.
Team spirit and work ethic cannot be forced upon you by the HC or GM. In a league with lot of parity, leadership can move the needle.

They way you look at it being a hockey player sounds like an ordinary a 9-5 job.
You've really taken the propaganda hook line and sinker.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Has anyone said otherwise? I surely haven't.

Do not agree with your slow starts take. That falls on the captain as well. You disagree. New topic. Any thoughts or expectation for Adam Ginning?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm trying to figure out if Keith Primeau was a good captain. On one hand, he was a perennial playoff disappointment and the ringleader of the Barber debacle, on the other he had one of the great playoff performances in Flyers history. So confusing.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad