Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

giphy.gif

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Base salary $600K more than Deslauriers :laugh:
will be interesting to see if Boston is good enough for the cap structure to matter. No one will care unless they go over the cap for the playoffs, then people will make a big deal about it. 10 games played is hilarious and is as much cap circumvention as any of the injury things teams/players do

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Many of you say captains are meaningless so who cares right? Tony D as an assistant is what is needed.

The captaincy itself is worthless. If they name Hayes captain, it says a ton about what they value and helps affirm they are indeed building the team around that slob. The captaincy itself is worthless. What it could signal about management isn't.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The captaincy itself is worthless. If they name Hayes captain, it says a ton about what they value and helps affirm they are indeed building the team around that slob. The captaincy itself is worthless. What it could signal about management isn't.
It's not worthless. That's nonsense. Every functioning team needs leadership. And the captaincy represents that. Someone for young players to look up to and get advice, someone who can be the connection between coaching staff and the rest of the team. It's more than just a letter on the jersey.
The captain doesn't need to be the only leader, but someone has to be at the forefront.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
MacKinnon should be the new highest paid player. He's already won a Cup for Colorado so he shouldn't feel pressured to take less money for the good of the team.

17% of an $82.5m cap would be $14,025,000.

When McDavid signed five years ago he got $16.67% of the cap.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It's not worthless. That's nonsense. Every functioning team needs leadership. And the captaincy represents that. Someone for young players to look up to and get advice, someone who can be the connection between coaching staff and the rest of the team. It's more than just a letter on the jersey.
The captain doesn't need to be the only leader, but someone has to be at the forefront.
Leadership is important in all walks of life. Team sports certainly is no exception.

Reactions: Flyerfan18 and TCTC

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
MacKinnon should be the new highest paid player. He's already won a Cup for Colorado so he shouldn't feel pressured to take less money for the good of the team.

17% of an $82.5m cap would be $14,025,000.
He has that guy that he always compares to himself from his hometown that likely will be putting a voice in his ear about how to help keep the team highly competitive which is by taking a discount.

He should be but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't and it isn't necessarily close.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Completely irrelevant from game to game.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
What do they value if they name him captain?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He has that guy that he always compares to himself from his hometown that likely will be putting a voice in his ear about how to help keep the team highly competitive which is by taking a discount.

Well MacKinnon can't get a 12 year, cap circumventing deal like the one Crosby got. Also, Crosby didn't even take that much of a discount.

His first deal was 17.3% of the cap which would be $14,272,500 AAV under the current cap.

His second deal was 14.5% of the cap which would be $11,962,500 AAV under the current cap. And that $104,400,000 contract was signed after a season where injuries limited him to only 22 games.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
What's irrelevant to you isn't always irrelevant to hockey players. I'm sure Giroux took pride in wearing the C and his word carried weight in the locker room.
Sometimes when things aren't going well people are looking for someone to lead the way. That's what the captain is there for because not everyone is a natural leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad