Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Ever read something that explains thoughts you've had more eloquently than you're capable of doing?

Thread:

TLDR;

image.png

Jack Han talked about this with Spurgeon. Likened it to a fighter pilot.

The best fighter pilots don't win dogfights because they don't get into dogfights

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yep. Really good defense is often being in position so the offense play never occurs.
Which makes it harder to measure, what stat measures "player with puck circles back to regroup b/c his progress was stymied."
I’m sure some of the tracking data they keep now could be used in this manner.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

If Crouse was 5’9”, NOBODY would want him. NHL executives work themselves into pretzels convincing themselves that big players have only tiny flaws…because they’re big. Dude went on a shooting% heater this past season. When he has never gotten close to that SH% previously. He isn’t good and he never has been lol. He’s the textbook definition of JAG

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
If Crouse was 5’9”, NOBODY would want him. NHL executives work themselves into pretzels convincing themselves that big players have only tiny flaws…because they’re big. Dude went on a shooting% heater this past season. When he has never gotten close to that SH% previously. He isn’t good and he never has been lol. He’s the textbook definition of JAG
Crouse is a top 6 on every team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I suspect if Matthews was 5'10 180, he wouldn't be quite the same player.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I suspect if Matthews was 5'10 180, he wouldn't be quite the same player.

No, but I imagine he’d still be a high end player. He’s a physical beast with elite skill. The issue is the big guys who dominate because of size at lower levels (and dominate isn’t even accurate in many cases, like Crouse) without the skill. As a pure hypothetical, I imagine a 5’10 Matthews would have developed other abilities to compensate. Maybe skating becomes a bigger skill he leverages. Elite puck skills and sense wouldn’t disappear.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So no chance Crouse becomes a Tom Wilson type player? I haven't seen much of him since he went to Arizona.

If he gets a one year deal in arbitration I assume the Coyotes will look to move him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I forgot Bouchard is in the Tampa organization. I knew it, but it just didn’t register a couple weeks ago. Some curious Sanheim quotes in here too (for other reasons lol).
I like this one:

“I mean, if you saw him the year before when he was with us in the bubble (in 2020 playoffs),” said Flyers defenseman Travis Sanheim, “thirty teams would be calling about him. I think Tampa is pretty lucky to get a guy like that for not a whole lot.”

You mean when they were leaking goals left and right and posted a xGF 38.17%?

Myers might bounce back in TB as a 3rd pair D-man who isn't asked to do too much
But something is wrong with that boy. Great physical talent but he makes Risto look like a hockey genius.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I like this one:

“I mean, if you saw him the year before when he was with us in the bubble (in 2020 playoffs),” said Flyers defenseman Travis Sanheim, “thirty teams would be calling about him. I think Tampa is pretty lucky to get a guy like that for not a whole lot.”

Myers might bounce back in TB as a 3rd pair D-man who isn't asked to do too much
But something is wrong with that boy. Great physical talent but he makes Risto look like a hockey genius.
Chuck Fletcher signed him to a 3 year $7.65M deal after that season.

Congrats, you played yourself.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I like this one:

Nah, the Flyers ruined him is all. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad