Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
EV Offense & Defense is based on driving & preventing scoring opportunities. So in Laine’s case neither good at producing & preventing scoring chances & such by volume. PP/PK are similar. Finishing is based off expected goals. Laine usually scores more goals than his expected goals which suggest. An average player doesn’t come close to scoring that with that type of chances & shot quality. So that’s why his finishing is so high. G/60 & A1/60 are essentially efficiency rates. It essentially takes your totals in those categories with on ice time to weigh how much bang your essentially getting for on ice investment with the ice time. Penalties is drawn & taken weighing system. So Laine takes more than he draws. Competition is who you often go against & teammates is who you play with. So both being so high means Laine generally goes up against other teams best players but his linemates on the flip are often the best on his team.

It’s ultimately broken down into percentiles. So if you’re 90%+ you’re amongst a small group of players in that category. So like for Laine he’s 95% in finishing. That means only like 5% of the league is better than him at that. These numbers are an average of his last three years. So you’re getting a snap shot of what he’s done in a larger sample. It will isolate an outlier year for good or bad. The 63% projected WAR is essentially an average projection based of what you should reasonably expect give or take. That’s an above average player.

In Laine’s case you’re essentially paying for his goal scoring ability as most other impacts of his game on ice are average or worse.

Thank you! Sorry I'm late but I wanted to formally say I appreciated this.

I understood like most of these charts, but this really helps bring it home.

Have you ever seen the "exits" and "zone entries" charts?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Pro Hockey Rumors:

While the Blue Jackets’ trade of Oliver Bjorkstrand wasn’t ideal for management, the player, or the Blue Jackets fans, it was necessary. Kekalainen said dealing Bjorkstrand to Seattle was “the best of the no-good options,” and today, Portzline shed some light as to why that was the case. With the flat cap driving the prices to dump contracts to sky-high levels, Portzline believes that if the Blue Jackets preferred to shed Nyquist’s contract, it likely could have cost a 2023 first-round pick or even a top prospect. If the Blue Jackets wanted to trade Jakub Voracek and his $8.25MM cap hit over two more seasons, Portzline believes it may have even cost both a first-rounder and a top prospect. So, with that reality in mind, Bjorkstrand being the departing player rather than Nyquist or Voracek makes a bit more sense.

So er could have traded for Voracek and a 1st and low low level prospect?

We are going to fire Fletcher and rebuild after the cap goes up and miss out on 5, 1sts

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What annoys me is that it's fine to make a big swing and miss; no one can predict future and safe moves only won't get you far, but there's examples of [Gaudreau to CBJ] // [Huberdeau/Tkachuk], while for Chuck it's /checks notes/ Risto trade.
Patrick and Myers for Ellis was a pretty big trade.

Reactions: Flyerfan18

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Not sure if sarcasm, but eventually it can be identified as failure from PHI medical department side.
No, I'm being serious. Ellis was considered among the best defensemen in the league. They took a big swing in acquiring him. Unfortunately, it was a swing and a miss due to his hip.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
No, I'm being serious. Ellis was considered among the best defensemen in the league. They took a big swing in acquiring him. Unfortunately, it was a swing and a miss due to his hip.

Fair, but my question remains - did the PHI medical staff not realize the seriousness of his injury, or did they know it's a huge dice roll from the get go?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fair, but my question remains - did the PHI medical staff not realize the seriousness of his injury, or did they know it's a huge dice roll from the get go?
There was no evidence of this issue when they traded for him, he played 82 games three years before the trade and his last two serious injuries were a concussion from a cheap shot and a broken knuckle.

What annoys me is that it's fine to make a big swing and miss; no one can predict future and safe moves only won't get you far, but there's examples of [Gaudreau to CBJ] // [Huberdeau/Tkachuk], while for Chuck it's /checks notes/ Risto trade.
What is TDA but a big swing?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Good question. I don't know. He played in the preseason, and the story was he got injured in his last preseason game.

But since it appears he has a degenerative hip, there's more to that story.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Hmm, Seeler v Hagg. Should we run a poll? :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
There was no evidence of this issue when they traded for him, he played 82 games three years before the trade and his last two serious injuries were a concussion from a cheap shot and a broken knuckle.

What is TDA but a big swing?
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'm not a doctor, so won't speculate re: whether that hip issue could had been spotted, tho.

As for TDA... PHI was bottom 7 in HDCA, so not sure if one-dimensionally offensive defender was the way to go. On the other hand, I cannot point at a single defender we have in the lineup that could be offensively dangerous [before you say - Ellis - let's see him play another game for PHI and then put him in that category]. Ghost was, and we pissed him away. So, re: TDA I have a bit of dissonance going on. We'll see.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad