Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Huberdeau was their best player in the 2021 playoffs though and just had a career year with 115 points and should've been a Hart candidate.
For me the only explanation is that Huberdeau refused to sign a new contract.

It would make a load of sense if they were swapping players they couldn't sign, but tossing in Weegar too is quite a decision

Reactions: TCTC

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Unfortunately, that's not even funny, given Chariot just signed a 4yr/$4.75M AVV contract at 31.
That suggests Risto has a lot more value around the league than people here want to credit him with.
b/c Chariot went belly up in the playoffs.

GMs being willing to make a bad decision and overpay bad players doesn't make those bad players actually worth that amount or worth having.

Appeals to authority are faulty. GMs are not infallible.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think the Tkachuk trade will prove a good one for FL.

As for CGY, well, they were up against it. Since they still want to compete for the Cup, they did as well as you can do in that spot.

Reactions: Flyerfan18

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
GMs being willing to make a bad decision and overpay bad players doesn't make those bad players actually worth that amount or worth having.

Appeals to authority are faulty. GMs are not infallible.
It's simply a reflection on market value, obviously there is a stronger market for players like Risto than some here like to admit.
Whether the market is driven by the "greater fool" doesn't change that there is a market.
I mean people were dumb enough to buy Crypto.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It's simply a reflection on market value, obviously there is a stronger market for players like Risto than some here like to admit.
Whether the market is driven by the "greater fool" doesn't change that there is a market.
The fact of the matter is (to borrow from Stephen A. Smith), Ristolainen is a much more valued player by NHL teams than he is by message board posters. Sort of the inverse of Gostisbehere.

There aren’t many 20-minute RHD available, & size & strength have value, also. Plus, Risto’s still pretty young.

Do I love him as a player? No, he’s flawed & can be frustrating. Do I hate him? Absolutely not. He has good qualities, too. And I’m fairly confident he’s going to improve under Torts & Shaw.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Deady hates Crypto bros confirmed.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: deadhead and Magua

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I don’t understand why FLA sent Weegar packing in the Tkachuk trade. Their defense is significantly worse now

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Because they now have a 24 y/o Matt Tkachuk for the next 8 seasons.

Always had the feeling Weegar was overrated, also.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Right, but it doesn't serve as a defense of signing those players for that price. It just means that GM is the biggest sucker.

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Right, but it doesn't serve as a defense of signing those players for that price. It just means that GM is the biggest sucker.
Wasn't defending the decision (criticized it at the time), just pointing out that it isn't irrevocable, Risto should be marketable in a couple seasons with a 3x5, maybe a million retained if you want to up the value received. Whether he shouild be marketable is moot, the fact that physical D-men with limited skill packages got similar money in their early 30s says he is marketable.

Voracek's contract was worse, CBJ had to trade Bjorkstrand to create the cap room to extend Laine b/c there was no market for Voracek or Nyquist. Seattle wouldn't claim him, and we had to take a similar contract in Atkinson to move him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pro Hockey Rumors:

While the Blue Jackets’ trade of Oliver Bjorkstrand wasn’t ideal for management, the player, or the Blue Jackets fans, it was necessary. Kekalainen said dealing Bjorkstrand to Seattle was “the best of the no-good options,” and today, Portzline shed some light as to why that was the case. With the flat cap driving the prices to dump contracts to sky-high levels, Portzline believes that if the Blue Jackets preferred to shed Nyquist’s contract, it likely could have cost a 2023 first-round pick or even a top prospect. If the Blue Jackets wanted to trade Jakub Voracek and his $8.25MM cap hit over two more seasons, Portzline believes it may have even cost both a first-rounder and a top prospect. So, with that reality in mind, Bjorkstrand being the departing player rather than Nyquist or Voracek makes a bit more sense.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It’s obvious that the cost to dump a bad contract is becoming horrendous in this flat cap era. Even buyouts will cramp a club. It’s going to affect trades and UFA signings. Making bad signings like Ristolainen’s just can’t happen. JVR’s is done at the end of the year so it’s less of an issue. So far Atkinson is earning his pay; not a terrible deal. Then there’s Hayes….

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maybe Columbus shouldn’t have signed a bum like Gudbranson to $4 mil. It’s like there’s always some poor cap management involved.

There had to be some Gudbranson / Gaudreau package right? Like Columbus showed interest in Gaudreau and Johnny tells them that if they sign Gudbranson then he will go there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad