Yakemchuk / Parekh / Silayev / Dickinson / Buium

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which D prospect?

• Total voters

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Buium will be a mystery for awhile, playing in college. Yakemchuk, Parekh, and Dickenson played NHL exhibition games. I assume Silayev and Levshunov will play NHL and/or AHL at some point this season, so we'll get a good look at them too against pros. And Silayev of course played KHL.

I liked Buium and what I read about pre-draft, although being a LHD, I wasn't nearly as interested as the RHD. His biggest obstacle to becoming a star 2-way defender could be that he's a little guy for a defenseman, although certainly not tiny. Although other smallish d-men have been outstanding players. Will he ever be strong enough to handle opponents in front of the net and along the boards?

Buium's 6 feet. His height isn't going to be an impediment to becoming a great player and if you're worrying about the weight and strength of an 18 year old then you're worrying about the wrong things.

Reactions: MuckOG and NyQuil

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I liked Buium and what I read about pre-draft, although being a LHD, I wasn't nearly as interested as the RHD.

It's true that RHD carry a premium, but the Wild kinda had a need for a LHD in that spot so many of us were pretty happy that he was there for the taking.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
i couldn't help but laugh out loud reading this. Sustr?

He's easily the best defender in the group, which is the most important aspect of being an NHL defenseman. His likelyhood of being a 1D is over 50% for me with his elite skating at 6'7". The lazy player comparison would be Chara but i'll go Hedman. Skating is even, defense is even or better (projected), offense is quite a bit behind. And he's easily more physical/nasty than Hedman.

I prefer a nasty 6'7" 230, 50 point shutdown elite defender over a 80+ point offense 6'0" defenseman any day of the week.

Silayev's only flaw is he was drafted by the Devils
What on earth has Silayev done to make you think he's a 50 point guy? I was huge on this guy going into the draft and I'm still big on him, but that's a massive big stretch.

And as you eluded to, there is zero chance he ever gets the opportunity to put up 50 with a team like New Jersey where his teammates are Hamilton, Luke Hughes, and Nemec.

Ad

Ad

Ad