Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXV: Halfway to Christmas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not an overpayment by L.A.

Unless Brock Faber Scissors is some kind of stud NHL D in the making, which I doubt.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Comparing the contract of an RFA (who also cost a 1st and a decent prospect) just signed today to a UFA signed three years ago is a pretty weak burn.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
An RFA with 1 year left and no contract is for all intents and purposes a UFA. This isn't a 2nd contract buying up 4 RFA years. It's no different than Trouba. No team wants to qualify a player right to UFA because it's a value death sentence, so both parties find something that works. If Fiala didn't want to sign long-term in LA, LA doesn't make the trade. Dress it up how you want with technicalities, it's a UFA contract.

The cap went up $1 mil in 3 years. That's really not even relevant.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Mike J on TSN....Flyers are ready to offer Gaudreau a MONSTER deal if he becomes a UFA. They don't have the cap space, but will do what needs to be done to get it.

JG to the Flyers is a popular rumor spin. I still am not seeing it. The Flyers may offer a huge deal but why does he come here? Not happening

Chinatown88

349 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Just another trade showcasing how bad that Risto trade was.
giphy-9.gif

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In all seriousness, and here's where the stuff with the Florida pick comes in, if you're a team with aspirations, would you trade JVR and a 1st for Gaudreau? That's the scope they're looking through.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
If Giroux has any sense that is where he should go and he should try and sign cheap if he wants to win. (cheaper with a nmc?)
Giroux is nuts if he signs anywhere off the East Coast. He will just shorten his career. Stay in the East where you travel less and spend most nights in your own bed.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Does anyone think JVR + 2024 FLA 1st is a terrible move for Gaudreau, without context? Gaudreau is a legitimately elite player to everyone but a Grateful Dead lover. I think the context of being the 4th worst team, with no other elite talents, signing another soon to be 30+ long term contract is the vital context. This isn't a borderline contender trading a 1st for a cap dump; it's a borderline dead last team. The context is also Fletcher's dog shit cap management. I don't believe for one second this team sniffs the playoffs without Gaudreau. He changes the calculus, but to what? 1st round maybe? Win? Exit? And that's in the front half.

Also, it needs to be said, if Gaudreau only wants to come here for a MONSTER deal (the most $ of any offer?), then the hometown thing comes off hollow. Maybe Chuck will even trade a 5th rounder for his rights. I'll still believe him signing here when I see it, especially with Tortorella's hiring. He'd be begging to reduce his production by 30 points.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Does anyone think JVR + 2024 FLA 1st is a bad move for Gaudreau, without context? Gaudreau is a legitimately elite player to everyone but a Grateful Dead lover. I think the context of being the 4th worst team, with no other elite talents, signing another soon to be 30+ long term contract is the vital context. I don't believe for one second this team sniffs the playoffs without Gaudreau. He changes the calculus, but to what? 1st round? Win? Exit? And that's in the front half.

Also, it needs to be said, if Gaudreau only wants to come here for a MONSTER deal (the most $ of any offer?), then the hometown thing comes off hollow. Maybe Chuck will even trade a 5th rounder for his rights. I'll still believe him signing here when I see it, especially with Tortorella's hiring. He'd be begging to reduce his production by 30 points.

In fairness, once he bends Fletch over for 7x11.5, he wont care about his production.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
LOL. If Chuck said what Guerin said today, the board would be roasting him for not waiting & trying to “drive up value” for Fiala.

Reactions: dats81

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
An RFA with 1 year left and no contract is for all intents and purposes a UFA. This isn't a 2nd contract buying up 4 RFA years. It's no different than Trouba. No team wants to qualify a player right to UFA because it's a value death sentence, so both parties find something that works. If Fiala didn't want to sign long-term in LA, LA doesn't make the trade. Dress it up how you want with technicalities, it's a UFA contract.

The cap went up $1 mil in 3 years. That's really not even relevant.
He's right thought it was a weak burn, compared to this anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad