Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXV: Halfway to Christmas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That extra $3m in cap space seems like it would be too good for them to pass up.

They will also have to pay Myers $3,800,000 this season if they don’t buy him out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay certainly has the latitude to think they can work with Myers, i just don’t see how they accomplish what they want if they keep him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sergachev & Cernak are both due for new deals beyond next year so it doesn’t necessarily have to be all about cap relief for this upcoming year. They probably just bit the bullet now while they knew McDonagh’s contract was still moveable.

They’re $900K+ over on capfriendly currently but that’s factoring in Seabrook’s $6.8M caphit.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why wouldn’t Tampa just buy out Myers and re-sign him cheaper? All UFA offers would be identical, and it’s not like many other teams can compete with Tampa as an organization….
That’s what Calgary did with Stone, so it’s definitely not cap circumvention.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I’m sure I won’t like what it takes to create the cap space, but signing Gaudreau would at least make the team more fun to watch. And he would be here long after Fletcher goes. Just like Panarin is still in NY after the GM who signed him was fired.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
So far all reports are pointing towards Fletcher going after an impact forward. He must be working the phones like crazy.
Does that mean that R. Ellis will be okay and D is lower on their priority list? Just speculating.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
So far all reports are pointing towards Fletcher going after an impact forward. He must be working the phones like crazy.
Does that mean that R. Ellis will be okay and D is lower on their priority list? Just speculating.

I doubt it. Ellis isn't even skating yet.

Think about that. He's been off the ice for almost 8 months. He opted to go for his own treatment plan that doesn't involve surgery.

And after 8 months, he's still not even skating.

What are the odds that will change in the next 2 months, and enough for him to be ready to go all out in TC?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

I was thinking rationally as well. But you have to think like an idiot. With Ellis off the books, they have more cap space!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers back to Philly once TB buys him out?

Trading Myers for a 30 something dman with a big contract is what Fletcher did a year ago. :laugh:

Nashville in effect traded Ellis for McDonagh and Glass.
has any team ever had a hi value trade target blowup so spectacularly so quickly after being acquired..

#sameasiteverwas...
McDonagh has four years left ($6.75M) at 33 years old, this is a salary dump.
They wanted Myers b/c they can buy him out at a slight gain.

Reactions: Rebel247

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I doubt it. Ellis isn't even skating yet.

Think about that. He's been off the ice for almost 8 months. He opted to go for his own treatment plan that doesn't involve surgery.

And after 8 months, he's still not even skating.

What are the odds that will change in the next 2 months, and enough for him to be ready to go all out in TC?
Ellis’ entire pelvis/hips/groins/abs are messed up. He is not going to be playing this season, and if he does it’ll be one shift, then, ‘Whoops, blew out his lower pelvis again.’

On the bright side, once he’s Rathje’d there will be some cap space to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad