News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If then could? You dont say? When Shanny sold the dream, he didnt say you will lose over $200 to 300 million in playoff revenue(alone) because Im hiring a child who never played hockey. It had to end. This it win or big changes, It wont get any worse. anyone idiot can win one round every 5 years lol. Anyone. But the damage to the franchise as younger generations switch off and older fans get fed up is Billions. They are loosing money. But it shows how stupid they are. The Leafs could be worth Billions.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He has one more left on his contract. Then he's a FA. NTC has nothing to do with it.
It does to the extent he can steer to his landing spot. He can decline every trade suggestion that isn't the one or two places he wants to be and if they are lucky they get a Tkachuk return and if they aren't he gets a Hanifin return. But I could actually see him declining anything and forcing them to either re-sign him or let him walk for nothing, knowing they would not let him go for nothing.

If KD had the stones to at least fight for a limited NMC on Mitch's first deal this could have been avoided but he gave away all his leverage. And not to belabor the Willie point but the one way out was for Shanny to allow him to be dealt over the summer. Kyle may have had that safety net in mind with his first deal.

Until July 1 they could still trade Willie if one of the teams on his non veto list thought he was worth that Trelific deal, correct? I am going to guess Willie's "won't go there" 10 was mostly populated by playoff teams that had the cap space and would have had strong interest rather than doormat clubs that would not have dreamed of adding a guy that was certainly going to be a rental for them. It basically turned the MNT into a NM. So AZ/SJ/Anaheim could perhaps be viable destinations? Utah/AZ has their single marquee player locked up so the overpaid Styles wouldn't screw up their salary structure and $15M in LTIR cap is coming off their cap next season. What a splash for the club to make their first year in the new building. They would need crazy deep pockets though because of all those Leaf-only bonuses so it might still be out of reach (go Tre).

Getting back to reality, if the playoffs don't go well they should probably talk to Mitch and explain they have salaried themselves in to corner and his next deal will make them even less competitive. So they are "exploring all options" and see if he has any interest in being god somewhere else rather than second fiddle to Matty forever. Then after he says no they hunker down to wait out the last year of JT's deal. No clear way out except to run it back. They can and they will. Again!

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Isn't that how it works? Do some teams have a 30 man roster that can just add players instead of replacing them?
John how are you feeling today? Oh its your spleen? See you in April. Boom, unlimited cap! Others have taken Robidas island and morphed it into a tourist destination where the holiday ends after game 82. They can't limit themselves to players that need surgery. I could tell Tavares was nursing his spleen a couple of months ago.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Aside from the ridiculous "they don't care as long as the money rolls in" argument

If you looked at the round one ticket prices MLSE are charging and multiplied home games by four rounds, that gives you a pretty clear picture MLSE really wants to win…

Reactions: ACC1224 and egd27

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
If it happens for a 9th straight year with the 3 amigos, many would consider it disappointing. This team was expected to make a deep run the year Dubas was handed the keys to the candy shop and can barely get out of the starting block before they trip and fall.
Disappointing is only one word that comes to mind including disgusting, incompetent and shameful posers

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If you looked at the round one ticket prices MLSE are charging and multiplied home games by four rounds, that gives you a pretty clear picture MLSE really wants to win…
The way I see it, #1 is keeping the fans paying for 42 regular season games happy. It is the only reason why you caved to WIllie and will cave to Mitch. Two soft players that cannot win in the playoffs. Sorry, your core cannot all be softer than the Pillsbury dough boy.

Reactions: rutz and rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If he walks as a UFA, he can only sign for 7 years. If he is traded to a team he agrees to go to, he can get 8 years.
Or he stays and signs for 8 years.
I would think he’d take a chance and sacrifice a year down the road to possibly stay.

The way I see it, #1 is keeping the fans paying for 42 regular season games happy. It is the only reason why you caved to WIllie and will cave to Mitch. Two soft players that cannot win in the playoffs. Sorry, your core cannot all be softer than the Pillsbury dough boy.
People paid for the 41 home games when Jason Blake was the best player.
Pretty naive to think they only keep these players to sell regular season tickets.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would think he’d take a chance and sacrifice a year down the road to possibly stay.

People paid for the 41 home games when Jason Blake was the best player.
Pretty naive to think they only keep these players to sell regular season tickets.
They'd hear it from the corporations if they let Matty walk.

If the Leafs tell him they are not signing him, he might be open to a trade. Big if, but that is what this conversation is about.

Reactions: rumman

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Here is a question. Would you rather have Marner at 11 million or 3 Max Domi’s at 9 mill for all 3.
I’m betting the team with the 3 Domi’s wins more the the 1 Marner for 2 million more

Sounds like someone that is bitter that the Leafs are a better team without Kyle Dubas. Never going to undo the damage that guy did though. Wasted many years on him.
Eventually they will be able to undo The Dubas damage but it’s going to take awhile and the balls to make some serious changes

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Here is a question. Would you rather have Marner at 11 million or 3 Max Domi’s at 9 mill for all 3.
I’m betting the team with the 3 Domi’s wins more the the 1 Marner for 2 million more

Eventually they will be able to undo The Dubas damage but it’s going to take awhile and the balls to make some serious changes
Marner will want more than $12m. Letting Mitch and JT walk gives you $22m.

Matty and Willie surrounded with the right supporting cast has a better chance of winning than what we have been doing since Lou left. Marner @ 12+m is a luxury we do not need. He will prove this soon.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
As I said before, that's why it's important that Tre strips that hope away. You are not staying. Period.
It won’t be confrontational, no reason for it to be and ultimatums are childish and shortsighted. These are grownups and it’ll be handled like grownups would.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Getting back to reality, if the playoffs don't go well they should probably talk to Mitch and explain they have salaried themselves in to corner and his next deal will make them even less competitive. So they are "exploring all options" and see if he has any interest in being god somewhere else rather than second fiddle to Matty forever. Then after he says no they hunker down to wait out the last year of JT's deal. No clear way out except to run it back. They can and they will. Again!

I don't think they have that kind of conversation with Mitch. They know they're stuck with Tavares and just ride out the year come what may... their only hope is guys like McMann, Knies and Holmberg continue to grow into more impactful NHLers and that offsets JT's presumed decline.

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don't see a possibility where the Leafs recommit to Tavares for another 8 years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Agreed but they were referring to the other villain Marner.

I see. Yeah, Marner's not a perfect player by a long stretch but I wouldn't ever sacrificea prime aged superstar him because we have an inconvenient Tavares situation on our hands.

We just let time run down on JT and re-spend the money and move on with Marner in tow. If we ever move on from Marner it's to get an even bigger fish or something special, not because of cap constraints.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Seems like peculiar timing if true.

I believe this is the first we've ever heard anyone with sourcing stating "as fact" that ownership is unhappy with the one-ice failures of this team, and it comes just days after Pelley steps into his new role. And from what I understand about him he doesn't seem like the type that would intentionally leak a story like this to the media (let's face it, much of these "scoops" are intentional leaks), so a bit of a head scratcher unless Mirtle really did get an off-hand comment somehow or got his hands on an insider email?

Perhaps the top brass at MLSE just want to cushion the fans from another disappointing post-season by letting us know "Hey don't worry loyal consumers/fans, if they fail again we'll appease your thirst for (figuratively speaking) bodies to fall with (figuratively speaking) heads on a spike."
Yeah but they actually have to follow through with this promise if they lose in the 1st round.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Agreed but they were referring to the other villain Marner.

It’s got nothing to do with Marner specifically. I’ve been extremely consistent on my opinion that you can’t build a winning team with both Marner and Nylander. Pick the one you want, but both doesn’t work. They picked Nylander by sign him first. I want them to win, so that means Marner has to go.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Telling him he’s not part of the future, and won’t be resigned is the grownup thing to do.
Doing that a year ahead of time isn’t something a mature manager would do. A lot of things could change over the course of the season, silly to burn a bridge unnecessarily.
I know some have this irrational hate for the player but he’s very popular within the organization. They aren’t going to ‘strip hope away’.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad