News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
They are 0.55 and 0.59 P/GP.
Last year, we had Bunting at 0.60 and Jarnkrok at 0.53, and then added O'Rielly (0.85).
The year before that, we had Bunting at 0.80, Kerfoot at 0.62, Mikyehev at 0.60, and Kase at 0.54.
And that's not even counting that most of our past guys added more than just offense, and didn't cost as much.

And got destroyed in the playoffs in the first rounds, play-in round, and in merely 5 games that one time they made it past the first round.

Stunning accomplishments...

I'm sure you had a great time but I think the idea this time around is we aren't going to thump our chests showcasing guys like Mikyehev, Kase and Kerfoot at the opposition as if they present some sort of issue to teams that have success in playoffs.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They are 0.55 and 0.59 P/GP.
Last year, we had Bunting at 0.60 and Jarnkrok at 0.53, and then added O'Rielly (0.85).
The year before that, we had Bunting at 0.80, Kerfoot at 0.62, Mikyehev at 0.60, and Kase at 0.54.
And that's not even counting that most of our past guys added more than just offense, and didn't cost as much.
The offensive depth is not really better. In fact, goals and points from forwards beyond the core 4 are almost exactly the same as last year, and less than the year before.
And internal graduates Knies, Robertson, McMann, and Holmberg have been big parts of even keeping it as high as it is.
So basically this is showing that no matter who the GM is you can only get the same type of supporting cast when 4 forwards are taking 50% of the cap…….good to know

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Mitch is functionally already at a $11 million cap, so like Auston, whatever incremental raise to the next number is going to be a very small percentaige raise relative to Willie and shouldn't really be all that hard to figure out.

With the season he's had, it's not like he has any red hot claim to be making Auston money, Mackinnon money. Nylander has leapfrogged him in AAV but also has more points, close to cracking 100. That number should be well under $12 million and more than what he currently makes. Does he just take the Nylander deal at $11.5 million and move forward?
Marner is the 1 guy I could see going
Let's say a team starving for a franchise type player is willing to make Mitch a 14 million dollar man ,well he won't get that in Toronto
But salt lake city could pay him that for fun
The scenario should be played out if the Leafs exit early
Or marner agrees to a 4 year extension at maybe 11.5 per

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The point is that they should not be signing him. Using over 25% of your cap on two offensive RWs is not a good use of limited space.
It might be if those two RWers are Kutch and Pasta. Maybe for Mitch and Willie if they were playing in a non contact league.

Reactions: rutz

CaptainCrunch17

Dec 31, 2010
North of Toronto
Marner is the 1 guy I could see going
Let's say a team starving for a franchise type player is willing to make Mitch a 14 million dollar man ,well he won't get that in Toronto
But salt lake city could pay him that for fun
The scenario should be played out if the Leafs exit early
Or marner agrees to a 4 year extension at maybe 11.5 per
If Marner thinks he’s worth 14 MIL on the open market, then let him walk and take it and he can become the next Johnny Gaudreau.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Marner thinks he’s worth 14 MIL on the open market, then let him walk and take it and he can become the next Johnny Gaudreau.
Offer him Willie's deal and tell them to get back to them when they are ready to sign. No way he walks if he wants to remain a Leaf.

The thought of 16 and 88 making 23m for the next 8 years makes me want to vomit.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And got destroyed in the playoffs in the first rounds, play-in round, and in merely 5 games that one time they made it past the first round.
Except that's not what happened.
But whatever you think happened doesn't really matter anyway, because the point is that the replacement pieces aren't any better than what we've had previously.
So basically this is showing that no matter who the GM is you can only get the same type of supporting cast when 4 forwards are taking 50% of the cap…
It shows that you can have a good supporting cast while paying a lot to your core players, as long as you either have a good current GM to find cap-efficient pieces, or a good previous GM to provide a bunch of quality prospects to boost internal depth.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Mitch is functionally already at a $11 million cap, so like Auston, whatever incremental raise to the next number is going to be a very small percentage raise relative to Willie and shouldn't really be all that hard to figure out.

With the season he's had, it's not like he has any red hot claim to be making Auston money, Mackinnon money. Nylander has leapfrogged him in AAV but also has more points, close to cracking 100. That number should be well under $12 million and more than what he currently makes. Does he just take the Nylander deal at $11.5 million and move forward?
If he took the Nylander deal he should get a statue.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Exactly. Ask his asshole agent to find a team that he will sign with and is willing to pay him and trade him there before the draft.
His asshole agent ended up screwing Taylor Hall out of a lot of money with his stupid mind games. He could have signed long term in NJ but he told him he could get more by signing in Buffalo for a 1yr $7m deal and then signing the big one....he ended up signing a below par deal in Boston and then got traded....lovely.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Could

1713104584396.png

Reactions: ToneDog

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Do you not grasp how classless it is to strip the captaincy, and how players around the league (ie. potential signings and trade acquisitions) would view an ignorant move like that?
At what point does accountability come into play? At what point can you look at Tavares and say "you lead us to 1 series win in 5 years(assuming a 1st round loss this year), that is unacceptable". Specifically when the issue is the team output equating to less than the sum of it's parts in the playoffs.

Reactions: rutz and hotpaws

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His asshole agent ended up screwing Taylor Hall out of a lot of money with his stupid mind games. He could have signed long term in NJ but he told him he could get more by signing in Buffalo for a 1yr $7m deal and then signing the big one....he ended up signing a below par deal in Boston and then got traded....lovely.
You realize the player signs the contract not the agent?
He did pretty good for his client when negotiating with Dubas.
Seems like a weird point you’re trying to make or how any of that makes him an ‘asshole”.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
You realize the player signs the contract not the agent?
He did pretty good for his client when negotiating with Dubas.
Seems like a weird point you’re trying to make or how any of that makes him an ‘asshole”.
I used the term asshole because I was responding to the original poster who called him that and I agreed with it. The problem with Darren Ferris is that Dubas isn't the GM of every team his clients are on and aren't soft marks. His style is not something I would want around if I was a GM. Not worth the headaches.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It’s got nothing to do with Marner specifically. I’ve been extremely consistent on my opinion that you can’t build a winning team with both Marner and Nylander. Pick the one you want, but both doesn’t work. They picked Nylander by sign him first. I want them to win, so that means Marner has to go.
Correct. If we lose something has to change. The pure selfishness shown by Marner to want to be overpaid while the fans get to watch the team lose year after year demands it. If we lose first round we either tell him he is leaving or walk away and let some other dumb GM overpay him. One way or another losing can no longer be rewarded.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I used the term asshole because I was responding to the original poster who called him that and I agreed with it. The problem with Darren Ferris is that Dubas isn't the GM of every team his clients are on and aren't soft marks. His style is not something I would want around if I was a GM. Not worth the headaches.
I don’t understand why any of that is a problem or a concern of the fans. Players obviously feel he’s good at his job or they wouldn’t hire him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Nylander is getting $11.5 million and Marner is outproducing him (and has historically), is better defensively, and is more important on the PK, how is $12 million out of the question? Not to mention the cap should be rising for Marner's raise.

Move on from one of the forwards if you think it is needed, but it seems weird to sign the worse one and get rid of the better one.

I don’t care about historic differences. It’s a new regime and Nylander has pulled relatively even with Marner. I’m not actively looking to pay guys an extra half million for status. If Marner doesn’t like it it’s not like we can’t go Draisaitl or Rantanen hunting.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don’t care about historic differences. It’s a new regime and Nylander has pulled relatively even with Marner. I’m not actively looking to pay guys an extra half million for status. If Marner doesn’t like it it’s not like we can’t go Draisaitl or Rantanen hunting.

Marner has a better PPG, is better defensively, and is more important on the PP and PK.

How are they relatively even? Marner is still a step ahead.

In the Playoffs Marner also outproduces him and Nylander has the worst production of him, Marner, and Matthews.

Cap will go up, so even being relatively even at CH%, Marner is close to $12 million.

If Marner signs for Nylander money he is doing us a favor.

If he walks, who are we going after? The last big free agent we signed seems to be almost universally hated here.

I hope we don't overpay guys either... but with Matthews' and Nylander's new contract, I don't think anyone will like what Marner is offered.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner has a better PPG, is better defensively, and is more important on the PP and PK.

How are they relatively even? Marner is still a step ahead.

In the Playoffs Marner also outproduces him and Nylander has the worst production of him, Marner, and Matthews.

Cap will go up, so even being relatively even at CH%, Marner is close to $12 million.

If Marner signs for Nylander money he is doing us a favor.

If he walks, who are we going after? The last big free agent we signed seems to be almost universally hated here.

I hope we don't overpay guys either... but with Matthews' and Nylander's new contract, I don't think anyone will like what Marner is offered.

I don't care - I'm not going to spend all day trying to fear monger into a what if Marner walks scenario so let's stuff his wallet with more money. He was overpaid last round, he's going to be overpaid this round... I'll have him back but I won't have any of this bullshit about how he deserves more than Willie because of this and that minute difference so he can be at whatever feels good to him. I don't care how the finely that cake needs to be sliced and how much more status he may want compared to Willie. If you don't like it, feel free to find the money and location you prefer to be at.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I can't even imagine anything changing at this point. I feel like 20 years from now, we'll still be watching the big 4 getting dominated in round 1 game 7, just like groundhog day.
Yep. Some act like removing a core forward will mean 12M in unused cap space. We had to cough up half our 2024 draft selections to double retain bottom pair defensemen. The madness has to come to an end. We could've had both Tanev and Zadorov today but our cap is twisted into oblivion and nobody can sort it out but ourselves.

I'd like to also respond to the common talking point: removing a top player doesn't improve the team.

I feel like I'm in an endless loop. Obviously we can't obtain great players with the resources we have left! If we had resources, the core four wouldn't have to carry the entire team! These guys would be a boon if they didn't insist on maximizing their career earnings or taking us for more money and less term because of taxes and I do not care about that. When you accept over market, you have zero help and must do it all yourself.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I don't care - I'm not going to spend all day trying to fear monger into a what if Marner walks scenario so let's stuff his wallet with more money. He was overpaid last round, he's going to be overpaid this round... I'll have him back but I won't have any of this bullshit about how he deserves more than Willie because of this and that minute difference so he can be at whatever feels good to him. I don't care how the finely that cake needs to be sliced and how much more status he may want compared to Willie. If you don't like it, feel free to find the money and location you prefer to be at.
If I could subscribe to your posts I would. Well put

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That’s how it works though, better player gets paid more.
For the Leafs
Matthews > Marner > Nylander.

Nylander was overpaid though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad