News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This guy is a sports guy .I mean he might turn out to be a puppet ,but it's gonna be hard to sell him the same menu of bullsjit that shanahan could sell
Maybe this core will win .but I mean somebody goes if the Leafs don't win a round
I predicted 3,Shanahan Keefe plus marner or tavaras bought out
What would a buyout cost against the cap?

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Leafs are underdog in every posible series they could play in first round. This isn't like against Montreal or Columbus. Losing in first round in this season is expected. Dissapointing for sure, but what you can do? BOS and Florida are clearly better than Leafs in this season. And Rangers and Carolina are top 3 teams in the league.

Mirtle is still sour that his BFF Dubas is gone.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I also hope they go all the way but if not they will need to gut the management team.
Shanny…….gone
Tre……gone
Keefe……gone
Who ever is running the special teams………gone with vengeance
After that it’s on to the core

Reactions: rutz

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I also hope they go all the way but if not they will need to gut the management team.
Shanny…….gone
Tre……gone
Keefe……gone
Who ever is running the special teams………gone with vengeance
After that it’s on to the core
Why would you fire Treliving after only one year considering the job he's done so far?

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We've spread out the offense across 3 lines before, long before Treliving, and funny enough, the biggest reason we've been able to do it for stretches this year is because of the prospects and internal depth Dubas provided. Well, that and Treliving abandoning defense.
I suppose Domi and Bertuzzi haven't played a big part in it ?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Was listening to Joe Watson this morning. Found it interesting that he said he and his brother did not take more money to go to the WHA because they wanted to win a second cup with the Flyers. Said Bobby Clarke would not either while one player, making 55k bolted for 85k. Talk went to Flyers owner, Ed Snider not allowing the WHA to outbid him for his players while Ballard let his go. Then I wondered, what would the 3 amigos do?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Was listening to Joe Watson this morning. Found it interesting that he said he and his brother did not take more money to go to the WHA because they wanted to win a second cup with the Flyers. Said Bobby Clarke would not either while one player, making 55k bolted for 85k. Talk went to Flyers owner, Ed Snider not allowing the WHA to outbid him for his players while Ballard let his go. Then I wondered, what would the 3 amigos do?
They’d ho where the most money was, of this I am sure…….

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not for 4th liners. Most teams have up to 5-6 forwards with some version of an NTC, and almost none have 4th liners with one. The Leafs are the exception, where Kampf likely got his because they've given just about everyone else one.

But I do concede it's slowly headed to a point where every player is going to get some version of an NTC ... With the Leafs apparently deciding to be the trailblazers (for something that no team should want to be trailblazing on; NMC/NTCs are the bane of GMs).

Players and agents have realized they're easy enough thing to squeeze into a new contract and fewer GMs by the year are showing they're not willing to risk losing the player over them

Reactions: ToneDog

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
We've spread out the offense across 3 lines before, long before Treliving, and funny enough, the biggest reason we've been able to do it for stretches this year is because of the prospects and internal depth Dubas provided. Well, that and Treliving abandoning defense.

Yeah, the couple good players Dubas added in 5 years is the reason we’re good… that’s probably it….

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He's looking for a fight
if you're talking about me, I think I'm just pointing out the obvious bias of the OP which is legendary here. There's no looking for a "fight" because there's no point in engaging him unless you wanna go in the "logic" spin cycle. Forever.

Reactions: ToneDog

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Why would you fire Treliving after only one year considering the job he's done so far?
The fact that he was hired means that he was in lock step with Shanny’s build philosophy and the new president will want his own guy. Might as well rip all the bandages off at once

Reactions: rutz

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Hahaha. Some just don’t get that Dubas and him trying to reinvent how successful hockey teams are structured is the reason we are in the mess we are

I can’t believe he did the same thing in Pittsburgh - acquired a redundant player on a huge contract and then poorly b construct a team around an inherited core of players.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mirtle is pretty well connected no? He had a fairly accurate read on Dubas and his contract being in hot water if I recall correctly

Honestly I'd have been less upset if we lost to Tampa in 7 last year than make it to the 2nd round and get dusted in 5.
Mirtle was very well connected to the Dubas regime. Dubas was a source for him, hence him always giving Dubas favorable coverage over people like Lou, Hunter, etc. Whether he is still well connected is up for debate, and does he really have connections above Shanahan.

If things do go south.....call up Salt Lake and ask if they would like a marketable superstar to join their team (Marner)

Keller ++ is appealing
Marner who bought a house here a couple years ago, is from here, his wife's family is from here and owns a cottage is gonna wave he NTC to go to Utah of all places?

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad