News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Mirtle was very well connected to the Dubas regime. Dubas was a source for him, hence him always giving Dubas favorable coverage over people like Lou, Hunter, etc. Whether he is still well connected is up for debate, and does he really have connections above Shanahan.

Marner who bought a house here a couple years ago, is from here, his wife's family is from here and owns a cottage is gonna wave he NTC to go to Utah of all places?
real estate is an investment and probably doesn't spend a lot of time at the cottage in season, probably not very relevant to career decisions, would be for me anyway if I was in Marner's shoes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
real estate is an investment and probably doesn't spend a lot of time at the cottage in season, probably not very relevant to career decisions, would be for me anyway if I was in Marner's shoes.
He's still from here, and his wife is from the GTA. I just don't really see him waiving his NTC to go anywhere, especially Utah. That type of stuff absolutely matters for a career decision. His off-ice earning potential is also better in Toronto, and he's invested into stuff inside the city (Blue Bovine Steakhouse for example). I think people who believe he's gonna waive his NTC are either being optimistic or delusional.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Human beings have an incentive no other animal does: money.

If there was an animal that hoarded all the food, while his fellow animals were starving to death, we would study such an animal. Try to figure out what the hell was wrong with it. Humans take those same animals, put them on the cover of magazines, then tell the rest of us to idolize them.

Maybe it is ignorance to suggest money is the major motivating factor behind this team.

Given the results to date it appears even more naive to suggest winning has been. Rogers & Bell bought the Leafs the way any publicly traded company goes into any merger and acquisition. With the goal of maximizing shareholder equity.

Richard Peddie made that much clear well before he retired as ML$E president in 2011.

I'm sure ownership isn't happy with all the losing. Winning still counts for something. It just isn't the major driving force behind this team.

Hoarding all the bananas from the rest of the monkeys is.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Mirtle was very well connected to the Dubas regime. Dubas was a source for him, hence him always giving Dubas favorable coverage over people like Lou, Hunter, etc. Whether he is still well connected is up for debate, and does he really have connections above Shanahan.

Marner who bought a house here a couple years ago, is from here, his wife's family is from here and owns a cottage is gonna wave he NTC to go to Utah of all places?
Ya never know but if that was the case then it gives the team leverage…….offer him 10 million flat on his next contract and see how fast he bolts out the door for more money

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Idk how losing to Florida or Boston could be considered "really disappointing" at this point, especially with our goaltending situation. The losses to Columbus and Montreal were really disappointing and they did f*** all about it.

Reactions: Al14 and SprDaVE

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Reading between the lines in that title, they at least acknowledge 1st round isn't a genuine 1st round. If we lose in a coin flip, it won't be considered embarrassing. 1st round matchup isn't just ECF worthy, it's SCF worthy by virtue of the 2 competitors.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
They are part of our forward depth, but they are replacements for what we had, not additions to it.
Who did they reaplce from last season that were equal to or better than them?
The offensive depth is significantly better than last year. The team toughness is definitely better too.
I was weary of Treveling and was super skeptical of every signing when they happened but he actually has done a much better job than I expected now that this team has gelled and come together.
I loved Dubas ideas but its clear that he didn't set this team up for success and as of now, this team is much better off with Treveling than when it was with Dubas.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Idk how losing to Florida or Boston could be considered "really disappointing" at this point, especially with our goaltending situation. The losses to Columbus and Montreal were really disappointing and they did f*** all about it.
If it happens for a 9th straight year with the 3 amigos, many would consider it disappointing. This team was expected to make a deep run the year Dubas was handed the keys to the candy shop and can barely get out of the starting block before they trip and fall.

Reactions: rutz and rumman

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Are they quoting someone or is that Mirtles speculation?

Seems like someone just looking for attention

Yep... there could be changes... no shit Sherlock ... I win the $64 million Friday night jackpot, I might instantly become a lot more handsome and considerably more interesting.... well we had 7 new players on our roster + multiple new coaches between last year and this year... change is a constant in pro hockey...

Reactions: ACC1224

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yep... there could be changes... no shit Sherlock ... I win the $64 million Friday night jackpot, I might instantly become a lot more handsome and considerably more interesting.... well we had 7 new players on our roster + multiple new coaches between last year and this year... change is a constant in pro hockey...
Yet we keep running it back with the same core after another playoff disappointment. Red Bull became the race team they are today switching their Renault engine for a Honda engine. The Raps when they replaced Demar with Leonard. The Jays Fernandez and McGriff for Robbie and Joe. They Leafs keep running back the same core with the same results.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yet we keep running it back with the same core after another playoff disappointment. Red Bull became the race team they are today switching their Renault engine for a Honda engine. The Raps when they replaced Demar with Leonard. The Jays Fernandez and McGriff for Robbie and Joe. They Leafs keep running back the same core with the same results.

You can always insulate talented players. Dubas wasted years on his NuHockey failed experiment. Why members of his tribe are still here in Toronto, no idea. I would have cleaned house. They are a tribe or cult btw, the mentality of the hardcore Dubas supporters was beyond comprehension.

Our team is tougher now, lets hope we go deep and get ourselves some prizes.

Reactions: rutz and rumman

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
He's still from here, and his wife is from the GTA. I just don't really see him waiving his NTC to go anywhere, especially Utah. That type of stuff absolutely matters for a career decision. His off-ice earning potential is also better in Toronto, and he's invested into stuff inside the city (Blue Bovine Steakhouse for example). I think people who believe he's gonna waive his NTC are either being optimistic or delusional.
He has one more left on his contract. Then he's a FA. NTC has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: rumman

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
You can always insulate talented players. Dubas wasted years on his NuHockey failed experiment. Why members of his tribe are still here in Toronto, no idea. I would have cleaned house. They are a tribe or cult btw, the mentality of the hardcore Dubas supporters was beyond comprehension.

Our team is tougher now, lets hope we go deep and get ourselves some prizes.
I've done it both ways, I've cleaned house and I've waited to see who is part of the solution, I've been in business for 40ish years, I've seen some F-ed up situations. From my experience, its better to be patient and see who is part of the solution.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

I think his ego is more likely to dictate his desire to waive his NMC. I get the impression he is an entitled world revolves around him type guy. IMO out of spite he wouldn't waive his NMC and then sign in Boston just to stick it to the Leafs.

IMO with him it would come down to a bruised ego, the other considerations about being from here, investments, etc. would be ancillary considerations.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Him wanting to stay here only really matters if he believes there’s another contract after this current one. If they make it clear that isn’t happening, there’s little difference between leaving now or a year from now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Him wanting to stay here only really matters if he believes there’s another contract after this current one. If they make it clear that isn’t happening, there’s little difference between leaving now or a year from now.
Difference being things can change in a year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've done it both ways, I've cleaned house and I've waited to see who is part of the solution, I've been in business for 40ish years, I've seen some F-ed up situations. From my experience, its better to be patient and see who is part of the solution.

I should have been more specific. I think that initially I wouldn't have rocked the boat. I do think BT had an opportunity to upgrade his coach after the ASG when the team was on a slide. A lot of the same issues persist on the bench that are being masked by the best goal scorer in modern history / Nylander playing over his head. The issues more specifically are Bench infractions, Failure to adapt to other coaches counter measures and lastly a very worrisome specials teams PP, PK and OT as well.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Changes should have been made last year, but Shanny effed up with Dubas deciding what to do with him. Both Mitch and Auston should have been dangle before there NMC kicked in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad