Series Talk: Minnesota Wild v Dallas Stars Playoff series thread | DAL Wins 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Special teams are killing us. I will say this: something is still not right about how the Wild approach playoff hockey. I was at the Kings/Oilers game last night and Fiala looked unbelievable. Such a contrasting game to when he was in the playoffs here. It’s like none of the stars can show up here, and they have no problem being dynamic in other markets. I just think we play too much not to lose and that it’s not a sustainable style of hockey. You have to marry the hard/defensive hockey with sufficient skill and pace and we don’t have that currently.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Johansson needs to be off the PK and Dewar or Hartman should be our #1 PK guy right now. Also, why the hell is Steel being used on the PK?

GA by PKers:

Johansson - 4
Gaudreau - 4
Steel - 2
Foligno - 1
Duhaime - 1
Dewar - 1
Hartman - 0

Stats are likely skewed due to matchups, but I just don’t think either of Johansson or Steel need to be on the PK.

I’d be using some combination of these 6:

Gaudreau - Foligno
Dewar - Duhaime
Hartman - Sundqvist

We’re barely 50% on the PK this series, Dean needs to make changes.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Johansson needs to be off the PK and Dewar or Hartman should be our #1 PK guy right now. Also, why the hell is Steel being used on the PK?

GA by PKers:

Johansson - 4
Gaudreau - 4
Steel - 2
Foligno - 1
Duhaime - 1
Dewar - 1
Hartman - 0

Stats are likely skewed due to matchups, but I just don’t think either of Johansson or Steel need to be on the PK.

I’d be using some combination of these 6:

Gaudreau - Foligno
Dewar - Duhaime
Hartman - Sundqvist

We’re barely 50% on the PK this series, Dean needs to make changes.
This makes sense. MoJo was not great last game. Some changes is needed

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
This makes sense. MoJo was not great last game. Some changes is needed
He’s just not who I’d be using in a defensive situation. He’s been great for us offensively and that’s where we should be using him (PP + Top 6). He certainly shouldn’t be leading the team in PK time. Looks like he was the 7th forward for PKs on the Capitals, so not sure why Dean is utilizing him like he’s the #1 option. If anything, I’d be using Nyquist as he was much more of a PK player with the Blue Jackets.

Gaudreau has been bad for us on the PK too, especially on draws. Currently sitting at 22% on FOs while on the PK.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Word on the street is that the refs that did last night’s game were already kicked out of another series, believe it was Toronto-Tampa Bay, for their horrendous officiating. Nashville, during their run to the Cup Finals, petitioned the league to fire them.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Word on the street is that the refs that did last night’s game were already kicked out of another series, believe it was Toronto-Tampa Bay, for their horrendous officiating. Nashville, during their run to the Cup Finals, petitioned the league to fire them.
Basically it’s a tacit admission by the league that fans are noticing their blatant mandated game management. Last nights moron refs aren’t good enough to at least give some semblance of fairness and it’s causing fans to be outraged. I wish I could just quit watching and going to games but I can’t.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Word on the street, yeah I'd go to the bank on that....not.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Sorry to jump in as an Oilers fan, just wanted to say it was the Oilers/Kings series that they got kicked out of. Feel bad for you guys - the officiating in the first 3 games of the Oilers' series was some of the worst I've ever seen. Game 4 last night was a lot better with different refs.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I’d prefer not to take the “easy” victim-like mentality about the refs last night.
There are some other truths about the game that affected the outcome as well.
1) Otter played lights out for them
2) We had a myriad of chances we didn’t take advantage of
3) Our PK needs to be markedly better, bad officiating or no

That aside, Dallas hasn’t shown me anything special to where the doom-and-gloom of not winning last night should affect my perspective in a best of 3.
We keep playing like we did, improve our PK, and stay 5 on 5? I like our chances.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I’d prefer not to take the “easy” victim-like mentality about the refs last night.

That aside, Dallas hasn’t shown me anything special to where the doom-and-gloom of not winning last night should affect my perspective in a best of 3.
We keep playing like we did, improve our PK, and stay 5 on 5? I like our chances.
Thanks for this, the pessimism on this site has been .... something. Let's just win the next 2 and call it a day! Stay put of the box and Dallas doesn't worry me much.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I have another GDT idea if nobody else wants to do the GDT tomorrow.
I volunteered for Friday but if you or anyone else wants them I’m totally fine letting others do it. I thought yours were great

Reactions: Lapa

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
5BD42D80-0CA9-49A0-9A28-253EE69937DF.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Digitalbooya

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I agree, I just question our ability to stay at 5 on 5 when non-penalties are called penalties. If the refs want to make up penalties and find plays to call them on, it doesn't matter how clean either team plays, there will be penalties.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Brutal game. I'll still hold out hope we can get it done Friday and then make a game of it back in Dallas for G7

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
The series was over the minute they failed miserably in game 4 , they weren’t coming back from that no matter what happened.

Brutal game. I'll still hold out hope we can get it done Friday and then make a game of it back in Dallas for G7
I’ll buy a powerball and have better odds

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Special teams are killing us. I will say this: something is still not right about how the Wild approach playoff hockey. I was at the Kings/Oilers game last night and Fiala looked unbelievable. Such a contrasting game to when he was in the playoffs here. It’s like none of the stars can show up here, and they have no problem being dynamic in other markets. I just think we play too much not to lose and that it’s not a sustainable style of hockey. You have to marry the hard/defensive hockey with sufficient skill and pace and we don’t have that currently.
Absolutely.

I think Dean and BG still think that this is the 1990's, and overvalue toughness(Dumba, Foligno, and Reaves). I'm fine with toughness, as long as it doesn't cost us, but it did.

Well, it's not over yet. Two games ago i was hopeful we had turned the page, and was ready to jump on the new look, new feel, great dressing room, Wild bandwagon, but it's looking pretty grim for us now to win the next two games. I mean, we didn't even compete tonight. The shot totals flattered us.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad