Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2022-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Anyone know what the magic number is for the Wild to clinch a playoff spot?
I didn't look if they play each other still, so the numbers could be lower, but the max points that the following teams can reach if they go undefeated the rest of the way is as follow:
Calgary - 99
Winnipeg - 103
Nashville - 104

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I didn't look if they play each other still, so the numbers could be lower, but the max points that the following teams can reach if they go undefeated the rest of the way is as follow:
Calgary - 99
Winnipeg - 103
Nashville - 104

All three teams have one more game remaining against both teams in the list, so the number has to be lower. I'm not smart enough to do the maths though.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
All three teams have one more game remaining against both teams in the list, so the number has to be lower. I'm not smart enough to do the maths though.

Calgary is immaterial for the calculation. If Nash and Winnipeg have one game left against each other, then they can both finish on 103. So, Minnesota needs 104.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
So as of today, the magic number is 14?
Yes, but that means "the Wild get 14 points themselves." Another way to look at is the combined total of Wild points gained + points lost by opponents. And, that would be a different total for each of those teams, and the Wild would need to achieve 2 of those totals.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
He's not wrong. Duhaime's backhand goal against Washington is something that Reaves can only dream of, and he had a near end-to-end rush last night that I'd categorize as the same. Even still, it's not exactly a hard bar to exceed.

Sure, he has a couple of nice E2E flashes but the only value he can provide is a rush every 5 games. He can't do anything to sustain possession, create for teammates, or produce offensively when not off the rush. That isn't a 3rd line player. Folks are being wowed by the shiny highlight versus what is actually value.

A player who has to pull off a McDavid or McKinnon type of E2E rush to score versus being able to score int he dirty areas and produce in more sustainable ways is the player you want.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sure, he has a couple of nice E2E flashes but the only value he can provide is a rush every 5 games. He can't do anything to sustain possession, create for teammates, or produce offensively when not off the rush. That isn't a 3rd line player. Folks are being wowed by the shiny highlight versus what is actually value.

A player who has to pull off a McDavid or McKinnon type of E2E rush to score versus being able to score int he dirty areas and produce in more sustainable ways is the player you want.
Well, I don't exactly have the video reel of Duhaime's goals in my mind, so I'm not sure that he's an exclusive off-the-rush guy (I very much doubt that he is), but I'm guessing that the one against Washington would be an outlier of the 8 that he's scored. But it's also nice to know that something like that is in there somewhere.

In any case, I think Duhaime's proper spot on a team that has ideas of contending is on the 4th line anyway.

I almost feel like Foligno is getting too much shit nowadays, especially since we were talking in real time the last 2 seasons about how unsustainable his shooting % was. No, he doesn't belong on the Hartman/Zuccarello wing, but that's also not where he's going to be when the playoffs start either. But on the other side, I don't think that he's a 4th line player either.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Well, I don't exactly have the video reel of Duhaime's goals in my mind, so I'm not sure that he's an exclusive off-the-rush guy (I very much doubt that he is), but I'm guessing that the one against Washington would be an outlier of the 8 that he's scored. But it's also nice to know that something like that is in there somewhere.

In any case, I think Duhaime's proper spot on a team that has ideas of contending is on the 4th line anyway.

I almost feel like Foligno is getting too much shit nowadays, especially since we were talking in real time the last 2 seasons about how unsustainable his shooting % was. No, he doesn't belong on the Hartman/Zuccarello wing, but that's also not where he's going to be when the playoffs start either. But on the other side, I don't think that he's a 4th line player either.
That's hyperbole, but we're talking about a guy that has 1 assist in over 40 games this season and like 15 points in his last 130 games.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
The Top 6 is set and Foligno is a step slow to be a great fit with Gaudreau IMO. The only other option is the 4th line. Duhaime adds speed and north-south element that works better with Freddy. Let Foligno force his way back up like Hartman did

Wabit

May 23, 2016

This is why I want him on the 4th line for the Playoffs. Reaves and Sundquist are just good enough to get him the puck and let him shoot. Score or get a goalie to freeze the puck and get a better line out there for an o-zone start. If he gets sprung he has a decent chance of scoring.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is this team capable of winning one round this year?

Most every team they've ever had in the Playoffs was capable of winning a round. They just failed to do so most of the time.

Will they win a round this year? I don't know. There is still too many unknows to say if they will/should win or not.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Most every team they've ever had in the Playoffs was capable of winning a round. They just failed to do so most of the time.

Will they win a round this year? I don't know. There is still too many unknows to say if they will/should win or not.
With how Kap is trying to take over games, I am going to say this team can win a round this year. The goaltending is looking quite good surprisingly and everyone is buying into team defense. If this recent offensive uptick in everyone not named Kaprizov can keep it up we should have a quality chance at making round 2.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
With how Kap is trying to take over games, I am going to say this team can win a round this year. The goaltending is looking quite good surprisingly and everyone is buying into team defense. If this recent offensive uptick in everyone not named Kaprizov can keep it up we should have a quality chance at making round 2.

I don't have much faith that this recent uptick in scoring lasts into the Playoffs. It just seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors against bad teams and/or backup goalies.

The 3 goals total in regulation against solid Playoff teams (BOS and NJD) seems about what I expect in the Playoffs.

Getting Kap back should help, but it depends a lot on how healthy/effective he is when he gets back. Nyqvist is a complete wild card on if he'll be healthy/effective he'll be if he does play.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I see the back end deciding how far Wild can go.
Goaltending has to remain excellent to win a series. Careless hooking/tripping/etc penalties need to stop to keep Top 4 D fresh.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would lean no, but it’s probably 40/60 for me if we play Dallas in the first round.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I don't have much faith that this recent uptick in scoring lasts into the Playoffs. It just seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors against bad teams and/or backup goalies.

The 3 goals total in regulation against solid Playoff teams (BOS and NJD) seems about what I expect in the Playoffs.

Getting Kap back should help, but it depends a lot on how healthy/effective he is when he gets back. Nyqvist is a complete wild card on if he'll be healthy/effective he'll be if he does play.
I agree that I’m not gonna expect this fully but with a confidence boost to Boldy and his line really, I just hope that carry’s into the playoffs to add to Kap being a monster along with good goaltending. That can go a long ways as our 03 run showed with JSG…

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone else hope that Evason puts Brodin with Klingberg to settle him down a bit? The man has talent, but makes some weird decisions at times. Sort of like Dumba at his worst, squared.

Matt is good enough to lead his own pair .... he'd be a hell of a third pairing dman, and can also pair up with Brodin again in tight defensive spots to close out games.

Reactions: mezcal

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
Anyone else hope that Evason puts Brodin with Klingberg to settle him down a bit? The man has talent, but makes some weird decisions at times. Sort of like Dumba at his worst, squared.

Matt is good enough to lead his own pair .... he'd be a hell of a third pairing dman, and can also pair up with Brodin again in tight defensive spots to close out games.
Sure seems like an obvious decision to put Klingberg with Brodin. Even if not all the time, at least for offensive zone faceoffs. But we all know how scared Evason is to change things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad