Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2022-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think you have to give both Beckman & Walker a look while 97 is out. We have enough grinders and role players for two teams. We need guys that can score

Rossi should be called up but I like the strategy of keeping him down until next year. His development has been too unstable and the recent reports of him taking over games make me think we shouldn’t rock the boat.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think you have to give both Beckman & Walker a look while 97 is out. We have enough grinders and role players for two teams. We need guys that can score

Rossi should be called up but I like the strategy of keeping him down until next year. His development has been too unstable and the recent reports of him taking over games make me think we shouldn’t rock the boat.
boy, I don't agree at all that his development has been unstable. To me, that description fits Beckman, far more. Rossi has been consistently good, and improving in slight increments, ever since he went down. Both he and Beckman have avoided the letdown in the latter part of the year, while Walker(IMO Iowa's best player pre AS break) has stalled of a bit. Beckman... I just don't like his overall game at this moment, and question what he can do at the NHL level right now. I do see that he appears to be on the right track, though, and might have a chance to be a shoot first, ask questions later type in a couple of years.

The big question with Rossi is whether he will be able to overcome his size and speed limitations. I truly don't know. All i do know is that he is a better AHL player than Beckman, and by a good bit, at this point. Quite different, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So, what seems to be happening is the forwards are all stepping up offensively in Kap’s absence, but at the expense of their defensive play. Our D, sans Brodin, is exposed.
We had one defenseman in last night that I would call above average or better. The fact we came away with a win while icing Dumba, Goligoski, Klingberg, Merrill and Addison all at the same time is something. Dumba is probably the best of that bunch and I would only call him average defensively.

Merrill was abysmal. Directly responsible for 3 goals against. One he got walked, two he took the penalty and three went in off his skate. Maybe they can sit him for a game? I’d like to see Addy continue to play.

Couple other comments

-Klingberg’s shot is such a welcome addition. He’s probably the only guy who can score a wrister from the blue line without some sort of tip.

-Eriksson Ek and Hartman both with 3 point games. That deadly 1-2 punch at center, eh!? I think that Hartman is one of those players that benefits a ton from Zuccarello being a pass first player. If they ever split Kap/Zucc, Hartman should go with Zucc IMO.

-Boldy with just an absolute beaut of a pass to Goligoski for his goal. Great game from 12!

-Goligoski’s “raise the roof” was better than Binnington’s

-I just love Reaves’ personality. He’s such a great guy and the fact he’s scoring right now just makes it that much better. I never imagined myself saying this prior to this year

-Stupid that the linesmen didn’t let Binnington and Fleury fight. Would have been top material shown for years.

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
So, what seems to be happening is the forwards are all stepping up offensively in Kap’s absence, but at the expense of their defensive play. Our D, sans Brodin, is exposed.
As for forwards, they might think that now, without the leading scorer, the team might stumble offensively. So it's necessary to try to score, first of all. Besides, they probably want to prove they still can score. That might disbalance their offensive and defensive impact.

Reactions: 57special

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I’m always hopeful for Addison but has he ever separated a forward from the puck? Hard shot but it seems they freely skate around him. Merrill is not capable of retrieving a puck and sending it up ice quickly. Seems to think very slowly. Klingberg has a lot of warts but I like how he seems to get his shots through.
As fun as the Blues game was,periods 2 and 3, the wide open play will lead to disaster against top teams.
I hope they don’t rush Brodin back, he’s very important.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We had one defenseman in last night that I would call above average or better. The fact we came away with a win while icing Dumba, Goligoski, Klingberg, Merrill and Addison all at the same time is something. Dumba is probably the best of that bunch and I would only call him average defensively.

Merrill was abysmal. Directly responsible for 3 goals against. One he got walked, two he took the penalty and three went in off his skate. Maybe they can sit him for a game? I’d like to see Addy continue to play.

Couple other comments

-Klingberg’s shot is such a welcome addition. He’s probably the only guy who can score a wrister from the blue line without some sort of tip.

-Eriksson Ek and Hartman both with 3 point games. That deadly 1-2 punch at center, eh!? I think that Hartman is one of those players that benefits a ton from Zuccarello being a pass first player. If they ever split Kap/Zucc, Hartman should go with Zucc IMO.

-Boldy with just an absolute beaut of a pass to Goligoski for his goal. Great game from 12!

-Goligoski’s “raise the roof” was better than Binnington’s

-I just love Reaves’ personality. He’s such a great guy and the fact he’s scoring right now just makes it that much better. I never imagined myself saying this prior to this year

-Stupid that the linesmen didn’t let Binnington and Fleury fight. Would have been top material shown for years.
Agree wholeheartedly with just about everything, except;

- You don't let your goalie, who you are going to need in the playoffs, fight a crazy person with nothing to lose.

- Dumba wasn't great, but he was far better than the other clowns, Spurgeon excepted. You could argue that it was a pretty low bar. Is it possible that our d are always this bad, but have been exposed because our forwards aren't babysitting them any more? Come back, Brodin!

Agree about Klingberg. Is better than Addison by a good bit, but our chances of re-signing him for next year with the amount of cap we have is pretty small. If we could get him to sign for a year at 3-3.5M it might be a way to go. Stick him with buddy, Brodin, have him run the #1 PP, trade Addison for a ...late 1st, 2nd, or just keep him around as insurance?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

- You don't let your goalie, who you are going to need in the playoffs, fight a crazy person with nothing to lose.

- Dumba wasn't great, but he was far better than the other clowns, Spurgeon excepted. You could argue that it was a pretty low bar. Is it possible that our d are always this bad, but have been exposed because our forwards aren't babysitting them any more? Come back, Brodin!

Agree about Klingberg. Is better than Addison by a good bit, but our chances of re-signing him for next year with the amount of cap we have is pretty small. If we could get him to sign for a year at 3-3.5M it might be a way to go. Stick him with buddy, Brodin, have him run the #1 PP, trade Addison for a ...late 1st, 2nd, or just keep him around as insurance?
The things that is working in our favor is that he just had an awful year on a dysfunctional team. If the Klingberg-Brodin pairing works as dreamy as it sounds (LD-RD Swedish pair; 1 pure offensive, 1 pure defensive), he had just had an awful free agency last year, we have a structured team, and he has a fun playoffs, he might be looking for some stability.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Some Wild (and Spurgeon) tidbits from an Athletic article:
13. In what has been an illustrious defensive career, Spurgeon has somehow found a new level this season. He leads all players in defensive plus-minus (a combination of impact on expected and actual goals against) at plus-34, a mark that is already 10 better than his career high from 2016-17.

The Wild are giving up only 1.47 goals against-per-60 with Spurgeon on the ice, a career best that is 0.53 goals against better than when he’s on the bench. By expected goals against, it is business as usual with the Wild giving up 2.1 per 60 with Spurgeon on the ice, 0.18 better than when he’s on the bench. That’s his best mark since he was a sheltered rookie. This year he’s doing it while facing the 14th most difficult competition quality in the league.

14. Despite their reputation as a defensive juggernaut, this is the first time the Wild have been top five in goals against since 2008-09 and it’s all thanks to their last 15 games.

In that time the Wild are fourth in expected goals against-per-60 at 2.73 but have been significantly more efficient in goals that actually go in, allowing only 1.55 goals against-per-60. That’s 0.3 better than the second-best Hurricanes and a full 0.8 better than Vegas in third.

For once, Minnesota’s goaltending has been stifling. Filip Gustavsson has been an incredible story this year and during that stretch has a .948 save percentage while saving 9.5 goals above expected in nine games, good for second in the league. But it’s not just him. Marc-Andre Fleury has been equal to the task, ranking fourth in goals saved above expected with 8.2 in six games thanks to a .944 save percentage.

That’s a helluva dynamic duo and especially funny given how Minnesota’s season started: three straight losses, giving up six goals once and seven goals twice. Prior to Sunday’s 5-4 loss against Arizona, the Wild had given up seven goals in their last six.

By the way, the Wild have outscored opponents 15-1 with Spurgeon on the ice over that stretch. He’s been a big part of it, too.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
As of right now, this is what I want to happen with the blueline. Reserve the right to change my mind if Klingberg is a liability in playoffs

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Meh, Fleury could have taken Binnington. He’s a fake tough guy.

Brodin would be a sight for sore eyes. What was his injury? I don’t remember.

If Klingberg were willing to take a 1-2 year “prove it” deal with the Wild, an ideal fit for him and the team, I think he could cash in on another big ish contract. 1x3.5

Middleton-Spurgeon
Brodin-Klingberg
Merrill-Addison

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Meh, Fleury could have taken Binnington. He’s a fake tough guy.

Brodin would be a sight for sore eyes. What was his injury? I don’t remember.

If Klingberg were willing to take a 1-2 year “prove it” deal with the Wild, an ideal fit for him and the team, I think he could cash in on another big ish contract. 1x3.5

Middleton-Spurgeon
Brodin-Klingberg
Merrill-Addison
1- not the point. Winner or not, fighting can cause injuries. Punching heads is not great for the knuckles/hand. I wonder if part of the reason refs don't want goalies to fight is because they take off their headgear? I know they want to keep helmets on players at all times...certainly at the start of fights.

2- Not sure if it's upper or lower.... no idea... I always assume groin.

3- 3.5M, sure. Just don't think it will happen. If it is going to happen this might be just the team that he might consider doing it for.

- Guaranteed spot on #1 PP with an elite player, and good talent otherwise.
- Pairing with another Swede who is one of the best defenders in the league.
- Being on a team where three of the most important players are Swedes(Brodin, JEE, Gus).
- Being on a good team, as opposed to a dysfunctional one like ANA this year.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
didn’t Klingberg get a late start to his NHL career? Between that and the lost millions he and his agent let slip away on his last deal, I am extremely skeptical he takes a discount. But Brodin was basically created in a lab to be a perfect partner for him so hopefully we get to see them together a bit.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I watched the highlights of the St. Louis win, and that was classic crash the net hockey. Lots of gritty ugly goals.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
So Brodin's back tomorrow potentially? That's nice.

Also I'm hopeful that Nyquist can come back soon. I would love to see:

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zucc
Johansson - Ek - Boldy
Walker - Gaudreau - Nyquist
Shaw/Sundquivst - Dewar - Foligno

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If we can stay healthy, i like this team a lot more than i thought i would going into the playoffs. We have depth, speed, heaviness, goaltending, special teams. Only thing we are missing that comes in handy in close games is FO %, and real high end talent, but i never thought the latter was going to happen this year.

Johansson and JEE on the Boldy line makes them a legit line. Sundqvist is a plodder, but stick him, Gaudreau, and Duhaime together and you've got a smart 3rd line line that won't get you beat.

Still have Foligno waiting in the wings, and if Nyquist gets healthy it gives us even more options offensively. Having tested subs like Addison/Goligoski/Shaw/Reaves is a real bonus. You mix and match depending on your opponent.

Oh, and don’t mean to be negative, but Dean better show some strategy come playoff time when it comes to what team we ice. Play Reaves, by all means, if we are going against a heavy team. If not, play a faster player. He tends to get robotic, and just go with what worked in the regular season, instead of understanding that even minute differences can be the difference between winning and losing in the postseason. Use the rested subs! Rotate the goalies!

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The biggest issue is going to be on defense. Spurgeon, Brodin look great during the season but then disappear in the postseason. As well, Middleton and Dumba are wild cards. Depth on defense even with Addison and Klingberg is going to be an issue.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
The biggest issue is going to be on defense. Spurgeon, Brodin look great during the season but then disappear in the postseason. As well, Middleton and Dumba are wild cards. Depth on defense even with Addison and Klingberg is going to be an issue.
The biggest issue is going to be a lack of elite goal scoring talent, especially 5 on 5. Same as it ever was.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
If we can stay healthy, i like this team a lot more than i thought i would going into the playoffs. We have depth, speed, heaviness, goaltending, special teams. Only thing we are missing that comes in handy in close games is FO %, and real high end talent, but i never thought the latter was going to happen this year.

Johansson and JEE on the Boldy line makes them a legit line. Sundqvist is a plodder, but stick him, Gaudreau, and Duhaime together and you've got a smart 3rd line line that won't get you beat.

Still have Foligno waiting in the wings, and if Nyquist gets healthy it gives us even more options offensively. Having tested subs like Addison/Goligoski/Shaw/Reaves is a real bonus. You mix and match depending on your opponent.

Oh, and don’t mean to be negative, but Dean better show some strategy come playoff time when it comes to what team we ice. Play Reaves, by all means, if we are going against a heavy team. If not, play a faster player. He tends to get robotic, and just go with what worked in the regular season, instead of understanding that even minute differences can be the difference between winning and losing in the postseason. Use the rested subs! Rotate the goalies!
I lot of positivity stems from the excellent goaltending the Wild have enjoyed as of late. The defensive depth, third line and face off % are the weak links.
I wouldn’t expect Deano to start making in game adjustments when he has shown very little of that so far.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Foligno-Hartman-Zuccarello is the top line tonight.

At least that's the plan. But we'll see if Zucc can go, he got banged up pretty good when the Caps tried to destroy him. And the refs didn't care...

Teams want to hurt our top players, and they had success with Kaprizov :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad