Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2022-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I lot of positivity stems from the excellent goaltending the Wild have enjoyed as of late. The defensive depth, third line and face off % are the weak links.
I wouldn’t expect Deano to start making in game adjustments when he has shown very little of that so far.

Is the third line a weak link, especially in a world where Nyquist is in the lineup? Is defensive depth a weak link? Goligoski/Merrill/Klingberg or Addison seem like a fine group to throw out there as depth defenseman that can do different things. As good or better than most 3rd pairings.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is the third line a weak link, especially in a world where Nyquist is in the lineup? Is defensive depth a weak link? Goligoski/Merrill/Klingberg or Addison seem like a fine group to throw out there as depth defenseman that can do different things. As good or better than most 3rd pairings.
I'm with you. I think our depth is vg. I just hope Dean is able to figure out a way to get Brodin, Spurge, and JEE some rest going before the playoffs begin. They, and Kap, of course, are our most indispensible(maybe not best), players.

I don't really get putting Foligno with Zucc and Hartman, but, ok.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The problem with the defensive depth is that all of the play pretty shaky defense. There is also no snarl on the defense. We'll see if Spurgeon or Brodin steps up this year.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I'm with you. I think our depth is vg. I just hope Dean is able to figure out a way to get Brodin, Spurge, and JEE some rest going before the playoffs begin. They, and Kap, of course, are our most indispensible(maybe not best), players.

TBF - anything is an interim option right now and it's not like Foligno has been great with Gaudreau. It would be nice to get him going and he can at least fire pucks and dig pucks off of walls and play physical.

Personally, I would use this time to give Walker a consistent stretch using his speed and shot to push plays because why not at a minimum it's not any less effective than the nothing burger that Steel gives, but that's not a battle I'm going to win with a Dean/Bill regime and how they manage, develop, and integrate young players into the lineup especially key spots in the lineup.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

once Kap is back I dont think he will need any rest thankfully, let him refine his game after injury absence.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
TBF - anything is an interim option right now and it's not like Foligno has been great with Gaudreau. It would be nice to get him going and he can at least fire pucks and dig pucks off of walls and play physical.

Personally, I would use this time to give Walker a consistent stretch using his speed and shot to push plays because why not at a minimum it's not any less effective than the nothing burger that Steel gives, but that's not a battle I'm going to win with a Dean/Bill regime and how they manage, develop, and integrate young players into the lineup especially key spots in the lineup.

The nothing burger of Steel is 9th on the team in points and 3rd in the team for +/-. I'll take him in the lineup 10 out of 10 times over Walker.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
The nothing burger of Steel is 9th on the team in points and 3rd in the team for +/-. I'll take him in the lineup 10 out of 10 times over Walker.
This is a function of the quality of the linemates he has played with not reflective of the quality of the player. The marginal value of the minutes that Steel plays given the opportunity is among the most negative on the team.

This is like ranking on #1 on Page 1 of Google and getting 5% conversion when the average link in that position gets 25% conversion and then you saying that page gets the 10th most conversion of any link on that topic. Okay great, but that doesn't mean anything given the context.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This is a function of the quality of the linemates he has played with not reflective of the quality of the player. The marginal value of the minutes that Steel plays given the opportunity is among the most negative on the team.

This is like ranking on #1 on Page 1 of Google and getting 5% conversion when the average link in that position gets 25% conversion and then you saying that page gets the 10th most conversion of any link on that topic. Okay great, but that doesn't mean anything given the context.

Oh? He's played everywhere in the lineup and produced with everyone.

Yep, lets play the guy who has done nothing with anyone, because reasons that aren't hockey related.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Oh? He's played everywhere in the lineup and produced with everyone.

Yep, lets play the guy who has done nothing with anyone, because reasons that aren't hockey related.

Because he has some long term potential to develop into something impactful where Steel is at best a tweener NHL/AHL player who can capably tread water at replacement level in the short term and has no long term potential to develop into an above average contributor.

There is no upside to plugging Steel in the lineup. There is upside to getting Walker reps and seeing what you have assuming that he isn't horrible which I haven't seen him be during stretches.

This isn't complicated and is a weird hill to die on.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Because he has some long term potential to develop into something impactful where Steel is at best a tweener NHL/AHL player who can capably tread water at replacement level in the short term and has no long term potential to develop into an above average contributor.

There is no upside to plugging Steel in the lineup. There is upside to getting Walker reps and seeing what you have assuming that he isn't horrible which I haven't seen him be during stretches.

They are a year a part in age, both RFAs

Not weird, I want the best players on the ice. Not guys that are worse but might someday turn into something.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Alright, Sam Steel fan. Good for you.

Nope. He's one of the clones I don't want in the lineup. He's just better than Walker. Best players play, plain and simple.

The NHL isn't a developmental league. Be good enough to take the spot or sit.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Nope. He's one of the clones I don't want in the lineup. He's just better than Walker. Best players play, plain and simple.

The NHL isn't a developmental league. Be good enough to take the spot or sit.
Steel or Walker.... if the choice is something that we continue to have to make on that 1st line, I'll take either over Foligno. Love Foligno, but he doesn't fit there.

JokersWilds

Dec 21, 2022
Schedule.png

Here is what's left, I feel like we need to capitalize on the next 3 for sure because there is a tough 4 game stretch after that

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

My thoughts, too, but barring a rash of injuries I don't see Walker getting much NHL time this year. Iowa could certainly use him, also. They are a fringe playoff team right now, and getting Walker back might be the difference between making and not making the playoffs.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
am I the only one who sees potential in a Duhaime-Freddy pair ? I love the idea of an attacking, fast 3rd line that can chip in the odd goal and continually wear down opposing D. Foligno is the obvious choice to complete the line but I’d prefer someone with more speed personally. Maybe Walker if he can clean up his defensive game or Nyquist if he can get healthy

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Foligno has been banged up more than usual this season, which is affecting his play. He'll never be a big scorer, but he usually brings lots of physicality, and decent speed. Some nights this year, though, he seems MIA and is laboring when skating, which really hampers his effectiveness. Too bad, because having him, Reaves, JEE, and duhaime out there banging bodies all night really softens up the other team, and causes turnovers.

Reactions: RobinOvian

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The depth is paying dividends already. Guys like Shaw know they have to be playing their asses off or they will get benched, and their is a competition for TOI. Also really helpful to be able to pug in a legit guy if someone needs a rest, or is banged up/sick.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I want that 3rd line to be Duhaime Freddy Gus. Foligno can play on the 4th line. That is unless they actually listen to me for once and try Gus between Kap and Zucc lol

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Anyone know what the magic number is for the Wild to clinch a playoff spot?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad