Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2022-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The issue is, he fits next year. So he will very likely be on the NHL roster regardless. Remember, Dumba/Klingberg/Addison(RFA) are all free agents. Next year, the projected RD depth is Spurgeon, Addison, and? So he will get $900,000+ next.

He doesn't fit this year with the TDL moves. Unless the expectation is to have Faber or one of the RD play on their off side? I'm not sure I would expect Faber to cover guys like Klingberg.

Just like Rossi this season?

Next year is no guarantee for Faber in the NHL. MN has 5 d-men on their current roster (3 of them have full NMCs) under contract for next year. Addison as a RFA couple be counted as the 6th d-man. MN has how many ELC d-men that could make a roster push next camp? Goli and Merrill both play off handed just fine to cover one of young LD.

McBain last year wouldn't sign because he didn't see spot for himself. They just traded away 2 other prospects they couldn't sign.

$80k is around 17 days on the NHL roster. He could play the roster or nothing card next year after the college season and make the same as a potential full season in the AHL.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Sure, but burning it is also the cost of doing business with most, if not all, NCAA players. It's just a thing.

I'm just more concerned with not having the ELC up until the $14M dead cap is done, which it does not seem will be an issue.
We could have an additional $2-3M in cap space for a season we should be a contender during.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Just like Rossi this season?

Next year is no guarantee for Faber in the NHL. MN has 5 d-men on their current roster (3 of them have full NMCs) under contract for next year. Addison as a RFA couple be counted as the 6th d-man. MN has how many ELC d-men that could make a roster push next camp? Goli and Merrill both play off handed just fine to cover one of young LD.

McBain last year wouldn't sign because he didn't see spot for himself. They just traded away 2 other prospects they couldn't sign.

$80k is around 17 days on the NHL roster. He could play the roster or nothing card next year after the college season and make the same as a potential full season in the AHL.
So your argument is the kid likely won't be ready for the show and that's why we should burn a year of his ELC? What's your point with bringing Rossi up?

If Faber is not ready, then we are screwed. Addison isn't a top 4 guy. Maybe they re-sign Klingberg for Dumba's spot? If that's the case then Addison is basically gone. They play the same role and Klingberg has better 5v5 production.

I don't see the point to sign Faber if we have four NHL right side dmen this year and I, me personally, am not worried about Faber not signing. I get the feeling he wants to stay in Minnesota. That's just me though. I've learned over the past few years that my worry level is a lot less than most people.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So your argument is the kid likely won't be ready for the show and that's why we should burn a year of his ELC? What's your point with bringing Rossi up?

If Faber is not ready, then we are screwed. Addison isn't a top 4 guy. Maybe they re-sign Klingberg for Dumba's spot? If that's the case then Addison is basically gone. They play the same role and Klingberg has better 5v5 production.

I don't see the point to sign Faber if we have four NHL right side dmen this year and I, me personally, am not worried about Faber not signing. I get the feeling he wants to stay in Minnesota. That's just me though. I've learned over the past few years that my worry level is a lot less than most people.
It's not about being worried. It's just about standard operating procedure, unless you can find a list of higher profile 20+ year old NCAA players that played 3 full ELC seasons. I can't seem to locate one.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's not about being worried. It's just about standard operating procedure, unless you can find a list of higher profile 20+ year old NCAA players that played 3 full ELC seasons. I can't seem to locate one.
Nothing about the Wild is currently standard operating procedure.

If they are signing him to help the Iowa Wild make a push then fine. If they are signing him so he can ride the pine at the NHL level then that's really dumb IMO.

Can the Wild sign him and not play him so the extra year won't be burned?

I'd say most of the NCAA players you've got on your list had an NHL spot ready for them. There is no longer a spot for him on this roster unless 1-2 players get hurt.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Nothing about the Wild is currently standard operating procedure.

If they are signing him to help the Iowa Wild make a push then fine. If they are signing him so he can ride the pine at the NHL level then that's really dumb IMO.

Can the Wild sign him and not play him so the extra year won't be burned?

I'd say most of the NCAA players you've got on your list had an NHL spot ready for them. There is no longer a spot for him on this roster unless 1-2 players get hurt.
Pretty sure they can, but he'd have to agree to it, which is what this is all about. There's no incentive for him to agree to it, unless he just felt like being nice.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Rossi was supposed to be on the team this year, just like Faber is supposed to be on the team next year. Rossi is in the AHL this year and making nowhere near the $900k that Faber supposedly is passing up. There was was less competition for Rossi to make the team this year than there should be next year for Faber to make the team. Prospects aren't sure fire locks to make it in the NHL, even less of a chance in their first season as a pro.

I just don't see the reward of an extra year ELC outweighing the risk of other things happening and he doesn't sign at all. Maybe he looks at the roster and doesn't see a route to the NHL. Maybe UM loses in the Championship game and he wants that title. Maybe he wants a degree. Maybe the GM opens his mouth and pisses the kid off. Maybe he just doesn't feel wanted. All of these things have happened with prospects in the past, so if it costs a year of his ELC (like Boldy and Kap with GMBG) then so be it.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Wonder if Sundqvist and Klingberg have already discussed this incident. If not...guessing the subject might come up in the next week or two:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wonder if Sundqvist and Klingberg have already discussed this incident. If not...guessing the subject might come up in the next week or two:

They'll stare blankly at each other from a distance, say Playoff hockey is great, nod, and walk in opposite directions. So a normal interaction between Swedes. :popcorn::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: NHL1674 and MK9

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can see Zucc doing something similar to Staal or Hartman. Take less than he could get on the open market for the stability of being where he's happy. Good player or not, FA for a 35+ player has to be stressful situation.
And you see how that worked out for Staal… he got,shafted in a trade. If I was Zucc, I wouldn’t be looking to do anyone any favors. Why should he take a discount when guys like Spurgeon, Kaprizov, and Boldy are taking as much as they can?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And you see how that worked out for Staal… he got,shafted in a trade. If I was Zucc, I wouldn’t be looking to do anyone any favors. Why should he take a discount when guys like Spurgeon, Kaprizov, and Boldy are taking as much as they can?

Oh I'd have a full NMC if I was Zucc. I'm not Zucc, but I hate moving. I've turned down a 15% pay increase from other jobs because it would involve moving. :dunno:

Because Zucc isn't a greedy son of bitch like those losers?

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’d be shocked if Klingberg isn’t a PPG through the rest of the regular season

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Power play is absolutely loaded now. It will also be nice to have another dman with a decent shot.

The pp is the same as it's been for the last 120 games or so. They got Klingberg not Makar or EK. The guy on the point doesn't matter for the Wild's PP1. They'll score the same rate of 1:4 to 1:5 chances.

Klingberg is doubling his s% this year compared to the last 3 seasons. But he gave up any pretext of playing defense to do this.

I don't have a problem with MN adding him for cheap, but I don't have much that high of expectations for him doing much more than Addison has as far as points go. I don't see how he fixes Boldy's shot, or makes Zucc shoot the puck instead of passing everything.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The pp is the same as it's been for the last 120 games or so. They got Klingberg not Makar or EK. The guy on the point doesn't matter for the Wild's PP1.
You keep saying this, ignoring the big improvement on the PP since Addison has become a regular there. It’s inaccurate. When looking at his play, it’s obvious why. He makes good, quick, sound decisions. Understands that he is not the main man on the group, but also 7nderstands that he has to take his shot every once in a while to keep the D honest, and also looks for JEE down low once in a while for the same reason.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
You keep saying this, ignoring the big improvement on the PP since Addison has become a regular there. It’s inaccurate. When looking at his play, it’s obvious why. He makes good, quick, sound decisions. Understands that he is not the main man on the group, but also 7nderstands that he has to take his shot every once in a while to keep the D honest, and also looks for JEE down low once in a while for the same reason.
I’ve pretty well been saying the same from the start I think. Addison is the biggest reason for the PP being what it is and exactly for the reasons you describe. Everyone else wanted to give Boldy all the credit.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

No, he just attributes it to Boldy, then turns around and says Boldy is a complementary player and needs to be carried. It's all one big circle depending on the discussion at hand.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I’m hoping Klingberg and Brodin find some good chemistry and he’s willing to re-sign cheap for a couple years. Getting either Klingberg or Dumba on a <$3M contract would be ideal. Problem is that Klingberg was underpaid for so long and this is probably his last opportunity to get paid.

I do think Addison is 100% gone this off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad