Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2022-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
The weight is a non-factor for a plane this big. The 757s can carry ~35 tons of weight. It's about the space. Depending on how the interior is modified it could be setup to have 50 of those 1st class seats that fully recline into beds, a kitchen/bar area, and still have walking around space.

This all sounds excessive to me as an Economy flyer. But it makes sense to me as someone that has worked on these charter companies. Each flight with a NHL team is carrying $100m + worth of assets (people and equipment). As a charter company you protect the assets and make them as comfortable as possible. You also design the plane around the "worst case" flight plan. Something like a back-to-back with travel from VAN to Miami where the players are tired, sore, and need to rest/relax/recover as much as possible during their flight.
I’m a peasant flier as well.

Reactions: Wabit

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is a deep cut but does anyone remember THE Scandella gif, and know how to find it?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Need more info. What is he doing in it?

IYKYK

But no he was walking down the tunnel kinda celebrating, pumping his arms and I think maybe fist bumping someone? It's been a while since I've seen it but it stands out in my mind still after all these years cause Scandella is one of my favorite players.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This is a deep cut but does anyone remember THE Scandella gif, and know how to find it?
78j6hD9.gif

Wabit

May 23, 2016
IYKYK

But no he was walking down the tunnel kinda celebrating, pumping his arms and I think maybe fist bumping someone? It's been a while since I've seen it but it stands out in my mind still after all these years cause Scandella is one of my favorite players.

I really have no memory on any Scandella gifs.
38190a73b7187ba1963f6885fd59c129_w200.gif

celly
giphy.gif

suspended
Scandella-hit.gif

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I could hug you right now

@Bazeek did you have it saved somewhere or did you go out and find it (and if so, where)?
Google failed me so I threw "scandella gif" into HF's search. Maybe the site upgrade fixed the search function, because the third result was GopherState mentioning the "pimp Scandella gif" and I knew what I was going to see.

God bless old ass message boards.

Reactions: TaLoN and AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Google failed me so I threw "scandella gif" into HF's search. Maybe the site upgrade fixed the search function, because the third result was GopherState mentioning the "pimp Scandella gif" and I knew what I was going to see.

Nice I didn't even bother to try searching HF cause I just assumed everything would have been lost to all the server stuff going on here the lasy few years. Thank you.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Fuel weight is a different concern from the load weight a plane can hold. The main concern in the industry is keeping that weight as low as possible for flights.

Just some quick math 190lbs (195lbs in the winter) per passenger is the new FAA standard is for passengers + luggage. A standard passenger 757 holds 20 1st class and 132 main cabin seats, so 152 seats total. That's 28,800 lbs of just people + luggage. If the team travels with 40 people, each averaging 400lbs (gear + player + personal luggage) that is only 16,000 lbs. So there is 12,000 of open weight that can be used compared to a normal passenger flight.

Fuel weight isn't even considered in this because it's max range 3900 nautical miles in this standard 28k lbs payload loadout. It's only about 2,500 nautical miles from VAN to Miami so well within the range. They'll put less than a full load of fuel in for this flight so it does cut weight which does use less fuel. The 737 is used over the 727 due to the max range of a 727 being 2200 nautical miles.

The real weight concern is how/where they load the gear. You want the side to side weight to be roughly equal, but the main concern is to keep the plane nose heavy. This is primarily in case of an emergency so the nose of the plane is dropping first and the plane can still be controlled with flight controls. Basically you can pull out of a nose first dive, you can't pull out of a tail first dive.

The only aircraft that really have problems with pushing the max weight is the medical helicopters. The gear in them is really heavy and an extra person on the flight or a really heavy person needing transport puts them right on the fine line for staying in the sky or falling out of the sky.

If you really wanted the specifics of the plane they are flying all you need is the N# and then pay the $20 (or whatever) to the FAA and get a copy of the modifications done to it. For the basic information (make, model, year, owner) there is a (free) N# search on the FAA website. I use the N# search once in awhile on the aircraft I see in movies just for fun. The N# is basically a license plate for US aircraft, but they aren't (often) changed like they do for cars.
Good grief...today's aviation class ;)

What I tried to say is that the Wild use a 757 because the 737 they used before became too small, problems with weight and space. This was something LaPanta mentioned in a podcast, he was sometimes left behind along with other media folks. No room for them, so they had to book commercial flights in a hurry. Was a nightmare for them, he said.

I have a funny story about flight dynamics. I was on a flight about to depart from Oslo to NYC, a 787 Dreamliner. We ended up an hour delayed because, according to the captain, the computer refused to start the engines. Too much weight. So they tried to offload a couple of mail bags, and then everything was fine. The computer figured out that we were now 15 lbs below maximum takeoff weight. Small margins :D

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Good grief...today's aviation class ;)

What I tried to say is that the Wild use a 757 because the 737 they used before became too small, problems with weight and space. This was something LaPanta mentioned in a podcast, he was sometimes left behind along with other media folks. No room for them, so they had to book commercial flights in a hurry. Was a nightmare for them, he said.

I have a funny story about flight dynamics. I was on a flight about to depart from Oslo to NYC, a 787 Dreamliner. We ended up an hour delayed because, according to the captain, the computer refused to start the engines. Too much weight. So they tried to offload a couple of mail bags, and then everything was fine. The computer figured out that we were now 15 lbs below maximum takeoff weight. Small margins :D

If I have to sit thought these random boring flight information things, then I'm damn sure going to make others get to feel my pain. :laugh:

The 787 sensors, like you mentioned, are one of the reasons the FAA bumped up the passenger weight calculations. Americans got fat and the old 170 (175) lbs for an average adult no longer worked. The numbers got fudged a lot of times so passengers weren't booted from planes due to weight.

I wonder how many time that LaPanta got booted so they could bring back a bunch of food/drink for the upper management? It's a no-brainer for me if I had to choose between the broadcast crew and a few hundred pounds of Philly cheese steaks, Duff's wings (BUF), etc or LaPanta and friends. The food is coming with and they can find their own way home.

I really would like to see the charter jets that pro teams fly on. I have a rough layout in my head of how I think it would be, but I don't have much working knowledge technical side of the jumbo jets. I only work on little planes, and the occasional helicopter (if someone calls in a favor).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Completely new search add on. SniperHF was indexing it a week or so ago.

Reactions: Bazeek

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Kaprizov has certainly 'cooled' down from last year being outside the top 10 in points. Doesn't help that they have had a rotation of centers and Zuccs had only 1 goal in February. Getting kind of worried about Zuccs and his long term here.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kaprizov has certainly 'cooled' down from last year being outside the top 10 in points. Doesn't help that they have had a rotation of centers and Zuccs had only 1 goal in February. Getting kind of worried about Zuccs and his long term here.
When you're the only guy scoring, your assists are going to be down. Pacing 52 goals and top 5 in the league in that category is still a tremendous accomplishment all things considered, even if he only ends up with ~90 points.

Reactions: TaLoN and keppel146

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
When you're the only guy scoring, your assists are going to be down. Pacing 52 goals and top 5 in the league in that category is still a tremendous accomplishment all things considered, even if he only ends up with ~90 points.
Hence why I quoted cooled down. Kaprizov is doing great given what he has been given the work with this year.

Reactions: keppel146

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
lol...Zuccarello leads the team in assists, he's out producing his contract by a solid margin.

I'm worried about his 20 minutes on the ice in every game, he's never done that before. But he says it's fun...okay then.

Question is what he'll do next year, as I understand it he has no plans to retire. So will he continue to support Kaprizov and the Wild, and leave millions on the table (you should be very happy), or will he go elsewhere for the big bucks and seek his last and better chance to win a Cup. Time will tell...

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
:Dlol...Zuccarello leads the team in assists, he's out producing his contract by a solid margin.

I'm worried about his 20 minutes on the ice in every game, he's never done that before. But he says it's fun...okay then.

Question is what he'll do next year, as I understand it he has no plans to retire. So will he continue to support Kaprizov and the Wild, and leave millions on the table (you should be very happy), or will he go elsewhere for the big bucks and seek his last and better chance to win a Cup. Time will tell...
Someone should get in Zucc’s ear about taking a significant discount to win a cup with Kap. You don’t need that much money to live well in Norway ;)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Someone should get in Zucc’s ear about taking a significant discount to win a cup with Kap. You don’t need that much money to live well in Norway ;)

I can see Zucc doing something similar to Staal or Hartman. Take less than he could get on the open market for the stability of being where he's happy. Good player or not, FA for a 35+ player has to be stressful situation.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

I believe Norway is up there as one of the most expensive countries to live in, more so than the US.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I can see Zucc doing something similar to Staal or Hartman. Take less than he could get on the open market for the stability of being where he's happy. Good player or not, FA for a 35+ player has to be stressful situation.
Yeah I'd say he stays here, has settled down and started a family, loves Minnesota. Has more than enough money anyway.

I believe Norway is up there as one of the most expensive countries to live in, more so than the US.
Very true. How about $12 for a beer...

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Yeah I'd say he stays here, has settled down and started a family, loves Minnesota. Has more than enough money anyway.

Very true. How about $12 for a beer...
Sounds like Norway is the Xcel Energy Center. :laugh:

For some reason, I don’t think Zucc would have a problem affording to live there lol. But yeah, I know their taxes and COL are very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad