Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2022-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
2024-25 Season

Gus/Wallstedt

UnselfishCorruptBantamrooster-max-1mb.gif

I don't think they'll be so boring that it'll put you to sleep.

SoulDale

Jan 4, 2021
Not the best game in Minnesota. I hoped that Kaprizov would once again bring us victory, but it seems that he, too, cannot save his team forever.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Surprised they charter a 757 for travel, bit overkill for ~30 guys.
I think there's more than 30 people
You have the team - 23 players
The coaches - 5?
The trainers - ???
I believe the beat writers and/or announcers travel with the team - that's like at least 10?

To be clear, I'm not saying it's not overkill. Just that I think it's more than 30

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The coaches - 5?
The trainers - ???
I believe the beat writers and/or announcers travel with the team - that's like at least 10?

To be clear, I'm not saying it's not overkill. Just that I think it's more than 30
I know Russo stated he doesn’t fly with the team, so I’m assuming media aren’t on those flights. Maybe the Bally’s guys are.

I don’t think it’s substantially more than 30 though, would be curious to read an article on the team flights. Always interested in the logistics side of things when it comes to professional sports.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The coaches - 5?
The trainers - ???

Equipment guys too. Front office personnel on occasion probably.

I'd bet it's in the 40's pretty consistently. Maybe closer to 50 than 40.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I know Russo stated he doesn’t fly with the team, so I’m assuming media aren’t on those flights. Maybe the Bally’s guys are.

I don’t think it’s substantially more than 30 though, would be curious to read an article on the team flights. Always interested in the logistics side of things when it comes to professional sports.
Russo and Smith are hired by The Athletic, so they don't travel on Wild's charter. LaPanta is onboard, and other tv/radio folks. Normally Guerin too.

I believe this aircraft has been modified to carry NHL teams, less seats and more cargo space. All the hockey gear, and their personal bags, that's a lot of weight.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Russo and Smith are hired by The Athletic, so they don't travel on Wild's charter. LaPanta is onboard, and other tv/radio folks. Normally Guerin too.

I believe this aircraft has been modified to carry NHL teams, less seats and more cargo space. All the hockey gear, and their personal bags, that's a lot of weight.

The weight is a non-factor for a plane this big. The 757s can carry ~35 tons of weight. It's about the space. Depending on how the interior is modified it could be setup to have 50 of those 1st class seats that fully recline into beds, a kitchen/bar area, and still have walking around space.

This all sounds excessive to me as an Economy flyer. But it makes sense to me as someone that has worked on these charter companies. Each flight with a NHL team is carrying $100m + worth of assets (people and equipment). As a charter company you protect the assets and make them as comfortable as possible. You also design the plane around the "worst case" flight plan. Something like a back-to-back with travel from VAN to Miami where the players are tired, sore, and need to rest/relax/recover as much as possible during their flight.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The weight is certainly a factor on longer flights, there's also fuel weight. That's why the Wild use a 757 instead of a 737 or similar to avoid any problems.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Saving Gus for the more important Calgary games I’m assuming.

I wonder if the preferred playoff lines are going to look something like this:

Kap - Hartman - Zucc
Nyquist - MoJo - Boldy
GREEF
Dewar - Gaudreau - Duhaime
Reaves, Shaw

Although I don’t think the MoJo experiment at center went well last time.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Saving Gus for the more important Calgary games I’m assuming.

I wonder if the preferred playoff lines are going to look something like this:

Kap - Hartman - Zucc
Nyquist - MoJo - Boldy
GREEF
Dewar - Gaudreau - Duhaime
Reaves, Shaw

Although I don’t think the MoJo experiment at center went well last time.
I think once Nyquist comes in...MoJo is going to just replace Greenway. As much as a Johansson is a meh acquisition, if he pushes Greenway out of his spot, I'm all for it as I've never been a fan. 3mil/yr was worth it if he was the last piece of the GREEF line but if that line isn't working anymore, he just isn't worth it.

It will either adjust the GREEF line to be a tad more skilled (MoJo - JEE - Foligno) or create a new responsible two-way line (MoJo-Gaudreau-Duhaime/Foligno). Either way, I see him pushing Greenway out.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The weight is certainly a factor on longer flights, there's also fuel weight. That's why the Wild use a 757 instead of a 737 or similar to avoid any problems.

Fuel weight is a different concern from the load weight a plane can hold. The main concern in the industry is keeping that weight as low as possible for flights.

Just some quick math 190lbs (195lbs in the winter) per passenger is the new FAA standard is for passengers + luggage. A standard passenger 757 holds 20 1st class and 132 main cabin seats, so 152 seats total. That's 28,800 lbs of just people + luggage. If the team travels with 40 people, each averaging 400lbs (gear + player + personal luggage) that is only 16,000 lbs. So there is 12,000 of open weight that can be used compared to a normal passenger flight.

Fuel weight isn't even considered in this because it's max range 3900 nautical miles in this standard 28k lbs payload loadout. It's only about 2,500 nautical miles from VAN to Miami so well within the range. They'll put less than a full load of fuel in for this flight so it does cut weight which does use less fuel. The 737 is used over the 727 due to the max range of a 727 being 2200 nautical miles.

The real weight concern is how/where they load the gear. You want the side to side weight to be roughly equal, but the main concern is to keep the plane nose heavy. This is primarily in case of an emergency so the nose of the plane is dropping first and the plane can still be controlled with flight controls. Basically you can pull out of a nose first dive, you can't pull out of a tail first dive.

The only aircraft that really have problems with pushing the max weight is the medical helicopters. The gear in them is really heavy and an extra person on the flight or a really heavy person needing transport puts them right on the fine line for staying in the sky or falling out of the sky.

If you really wanted the specifics of the plane they are flying all you need is the N# and then pay the $20 (or whatever) to the FAA and get a copy of the modifications done to it. For the basic information (make, model, year, owner) there is a (free) N# search on the FAA website. I use the N# search once in awhile on the aircraft I see in movies just for fun. The N# is basically a license plate for US aircraft, but they aren't (often) changed like they do for cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad