Confirmed Buy-Out [MIN] Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Wow, thats a shit load of dead cap in the dead cap era
ouch

so with Shea Weber if he retires doesnt Nashville get hit with like 28m in dead cap?
I assume the risk of Parise and Suter retiring is the reason they bought them out.
Is there even an out for Nashville? I mean they traded him to Montreal

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Forgetting that if that player retires, they are then hit with cap recapture. So they still have to account for that cap space.

This is cost certainty.
Hmm maybe this is what I'm not accounting for, what are those numbers, lets say conservatively parise played 1 more year retired and suter 2?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
ouch

so with Shea Weber if he retires doesnt Nashville get hit with like 28m in dead cap?
I assume the risk of Parise and Suter retiring is the reason they bought them out.

Yeah, Nashville is locked in and it probably has a lot to do with why they did what they did today.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
If you had predicted on the day they signed that one of the two would be getting scratched and both would be bought out with 4 years left AND Minnesota would have no championships to show for it you’d have been lambasted.
Them getting bought out with this much term left is a bit surprising.

I am not surprised at the 0 Stanley Cups outcome though. They were very good players, but not the types who turn an average team (which Minnesota was) into Stanley Cup favourites.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Guerin: "So Ron, I don't want you to pick Dumba."

Francis: "Well I'm gonna take him. Unless..."

Guerin: "Unless what?"

Francis: "Give me a first round pick or Fiala, and I'll pick somebody else."

Guerin: "Screw that, I'm not giving you ****."

Francis: "You have no choice, Bill. What're you gonna do, buyout Suter and Parise to open up protection slots? *snickers*"

Guerin: "..."

Francis: "Bill? Wait, Bill, are you still there? I was just joking around Bill."

Guerin: "..."

Francis: "Bill?"

*click*

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
ouch

I'm not sure if a Weber buyout would affect Nashville's recapture penalty or not. It's $24.5M and change. However, due to the recent change to the penalty, the most we can be hit with is $7.875M in a single season, so it would hit at $7.875 for three seasons and then around $1M for one season. It's not ideal, but it's better than $24M in one season and it's better than what the Wild are about to be hit with on their buyout.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I'm really trying to understand this, what am I missing?

This has to be one of the worst decisions I've seen in the last decade. If it was for Dumba, you PAY to have seattle not take him, regardless of the price (because its less than 14mil in dead cap even for just ONE YEAR) or you do whatever you need to before buying out BOTH at this ridiculous hit.

Lets just say for arguments sake, they had a clause where if one is bought out, the other must be too, it still DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE to justify those cap penalties.

someone help me understand the absurdity here.

They are probably struggling to pay bills and want to save any money they can.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Holy crap! Both of them?

Everyone knew Parise? But, Suter? Isn't he still ok?

Hey, Sutes, how about re-uniting with Weber in Montreal?

Geez, he's going to get offers.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pretty sure they got bent over again... you have 3 years of over $10M+ in dead cap to keep Dumba. That means adding Dumba's cap hit AND Suter and Parise's... I'm not sure that's worth it. I would've traded Dumba, taken the return, and then just continued to eat the Parise/Suter deals personally.

Then you at least have a return for Dumba rather than dead cap space.
The return for Dumba wouldn’t be better than Dumba who’s a part of present and future of the team. It would be a backwards move to let him go. There were no perfect moves, this also allows them to keep a forward they were going to lose. They can also sign Fiala and Kaprizov. This was the right move if you want to move on from the past and keep the good they built this year going.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not sure why everyone is calling this protection for Dumba. Before today, the team was likely going 4-4-1, protecting Dumba, exposing Greenway and Foligno.

After today, they're likely going 7-3-1 protecting Greenway and Foligno as well as Dumba.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I love it, are people forgetting Suter is 37 in January? Let him and Parise go chase a cup somewhere, wild can bring in some kids or shop around for guys to play with Spurgeon, Brodin and Dumba and spread out Suters minutes. Defensively it might be a little painful the first year or two but after that maybe not so much.

Short term we suddenly have some extra cap space to sign some young talent and get a much needed center while also being able to plan and manage for 3 tight cap years and taking care of the Parise/Suter issues all at once in advance. Seattle problems are gone, BillyG can keep his trade and free agent options open and find a center, it kind of seems like they have a plan or maybe this is plan B or C.

After a little self imposed cap trouble we have 14M coming off the books and realistically I hope the kids play so well that we are in cap trouble for the foreseeable future

The below sums up the Parise/Suter era pretty well, we tried hard but were mostly beat up but more talented teams. 2017 was probably our best chance and we choked pretty hard in round 1.
"The Wild went 354-237-74 and tied for the eighth-most points in the NHL with 782 during the nine seasons Parise and Suter played for the team, with the Wild advancing to the playoffs eight times."

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Suter was legitimately one of the best defensive dmen in the league for a while, imagine if he wants a spot somewhere he could still be very useful on a lot of teams. Parise is f***ing washed, might be worth a 1 million dollar tryout contract.

Remember the day these guys were signed, what a weird time for contracts in the NHL. I understand wanting to turn the page for Guerin, but this is paying a lot for the sins of his predecessors. Basically cripples the team for a couple years.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If Minnnesota isn't rebuilding they did this completely wrong. Too much dead space for far too long.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I kind of love it, are people forgetting Suter is 37 in January? Let him and Parise go chase a cup somewhere, wild can bring in some kids or shop around for guys to play with Spurgeon, Brodin and Dumba and spread out Suters minutes. Defensively it might be a little painful the first year or two but after that maybe not so much. Short term we suddenly have some extra cap space to sign some young talent and maybe get a much needed center while also being able to plan and manage for 3 tight cap years and taking care of the Parise/Suter issues all at once in advance. After a little cap trouble we have 14M coming off the books to spend on the youth or fill some holes. Seattle problems are gone, BillyG can keep his trade and free agent options open and find a center, maybe a deal is already done.
Parise is a low contract. He’s basically a Perry, Spezza, Thornton type contract at this point.

Suter can do whatever he wants. Collects $95 mill of his $98 mill contract from Minny. What does he want to do? Stay close to Wisconsin or go where he has a legit shot at a cup? Completely up to him.

not sure what conversations BG had with them but seems that Parise really wanted o continue to play. With his history of back injuries he very easily could have landed on Ltir. Suter has been a horse so unless there is something that is chronic like Callahan then he would keep going.

Would have thought they go another year and then decided whether playing for $2 mill was worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad