Confirmed Buy-Out [MIN] Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hmm maybe this is what I'm not accounting for, what are those numbers, lets say conservatively parise played 1 more year retired and suter 2?
Ltir is an option for a Parise given his back injury history.
Suter has been a horse so no idea how he’s feeling.

Once you go on ltir you are done playing like Seabrook, Boychuck, etc. Minny can’t be expected to make room for them to come off ltir.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is gonna scare off Karprizov too. The Wild just committed seppeku for the next half decade.
All guys who will hit ufa during those 3 high dead cap years. Dumba and fiala can hit ufa in 2023, KK in 2024 while these high dead caps go through to 2025.

KK maybe more likely to go bridge now to see how things play out. Fiala, maybe best to at worst to arbitration to ensure he gets to ufa to see where the Wild stand in 2 years.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Wild projected cap space during the 3 worst years, if they plan it out a little bit we might not be in too much trouble.

2022-23 - $26,714,745
2022-23 - $37,131,412
2022-23 - $47,931,412

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Wow, thats a shit load of dead cap in the dead cap era
ouch

so with Shea Weber if he retires doesnt Nashville get hit with like 28m in dead cap?
I assume the risk of Parise and Suter retiring is the reason they bought them out.
Is there even an out for Nashville? I mean they traded him to Montreal

Yeah it's something like that, but they changed the rules so the annual amount can't exceed the cap hit, so it would be 7.8 million per year until the balance is 0.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Guerin said on the radio locally, he's been talking with the owner about this buyout for 6 months. He never even asked them to waive.
Makes sense. Despite all the trash talk in this thread, I'm certain Guerin surveyed the palatability of these contracts to the other GMs in the league and the price to unload them was way too high.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Makes sense. Despite all the trash talk in this thread, I'm certain Guerin surveyed the palatability of these contracts to the other GMs in the league and the price to unload them was way too high.
Higher than eating a guaranteed dead cap amount of at least 15% of a teams overall cap amount?

I just don't understand how you can make such a claim. We're talking 12 million and then 14million for 2 more years in dead cap.

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Higher than eating a guaranteed dead cap amount of at least 15% of a teams overall cap amount?

I just don't understand how you can make such a claim. We're talking 12 million and then 14million for 2 more years in dead cap.

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif
Ok, I'll ask again. What team is going to take on either of these contracts while also using an expansion protection slot? Then figure out what kind of price Guerin would have had to pay to make that happen. Then realize that if either of these guys retire before the contract expires, we get hit with those cap penalties anyway.

Reactions: Rask Decisions

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
ROFL that's terrible. I guess they saw Montreal getting to the finals with 15 million in dead cap and decided it wasn't such a massive handicap.

Parise I can see buying out (though trying to ride him to LTIR would have been better) but Suter at this stage is extremely dumb. They'll need to pay for a solid #3/4 to replace his contribution and thats another 4-5 million on top.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kaprizov nopes out instead of trying to compete on a team that will be spending less on actual players than Ottawa for the next 4 years

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wild projected cap space during the 3 worst years, if they plan it out a little bit we might not be in too much trouble.

2022-23 - $26,714,745
2022-23 - $37,131,412
2022-23 - $47,931,412
That’s with how many players signed?
9 in 22-23 so need 14 more guys signed.
6 in 23-24 so new 17 more guys signed.
3 in 24-25 so need 20 more guys signed.

sounds great on the surface but the more guys you need to sign that cap space gets eaten pretty quickly. Fiala, KK, Greenway, Kahkonen among the guys not included in the signed group.

Curious to see how BG builds the roster and whether any guys sign away ufa years during those big dead cap hit years.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Not sure why everyone is calling this protection for Dumba. Before today, the team was likely going 4-4-1, protecting Dumba, exposing Greenway and Foligno.

After today, they're likely going 7-3-1 protecting Greenway and Foligno as well as Dumba.
With this move the Wild can protect their entire core.

I think people are ignoring the fact that both players were signed until they were 41. It was always unlikely that both would play out their contracts so the end of these contracts were always going to be painful for the Wild one way or the other unless they were LTIR. It was a situation where there were no good options.

Suter can still play but maybe Guerin wanted him off the team for other reasons. Maybe it came down to losing either Dumba or Suter and he would rather keep Dumba. Maybe the old guard was causing a culture problem in the locker room.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ok, I'll ask again. What team is going to take on either of these contracts while also using an expansion protection slot? Then figure out what kind of price Guerin would have had to pay to make that happen. Then realize that if either of these guys retire before the contract expires, we get hit with those cap penalties anyway.
BG said he didn’t ask them to waive. So even if they did, seems clear that BG didn’t want either back.
Once a player leaves hiss allegiance is elsewhere. So can’t expect them to do you any favours. Probably saw the Luongo recapture in the Canucks and wanted to take control of it.

sucks for Minny that they couldn’t navigate these 2 into Ltir but that’s more on if those guys want to keep playing or not. If they do then they occupy roster spots with their nmc.

Reactions: ctmagic

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
The retirement makes sense, granted I still don't understand the actual breakdown of what that amounts to, and what options they would have in that practical scenario 2-3 years from now.

But if the overall goal was to protect other players from ED, you pay whatever you need to Seattle, or bite the bullet and trade those players you ultimately wanted to protect but aren't the most vital to your organization, before ever giving in to such a dead cap tie up. Period.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The retirement makes sense, granted I still don't understand the actual breakdown of what that amounts to, and what options they would have in that practical scenario 2-3 years from now.

But if the overall goal was to protect other players from ED, you pay whatever you need to Seattle, or bite the bullet and trade those players you ultimately wanted to protect but aren't the most vital to your organization, before ever giving in to such a dead cap tie up. Period.
It was a shocker to everyone when Luongo left $3.6 mill on the table vs land on ltir but seems that made the most sense for the panthers.

but we’ve seen so many guys land on ltir with “wear and tear” ailments. So players don’t need to retire but instead landed on ltir for the remainder of their contract.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Didn't really change the buyout implications whether the Wild bought out Suter now or in 2 years so no was the right time to do it.

Reactions: Rask Decisions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad