Confirmed Buy-Out [MIN] Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Suter at 50% retention should've been tradeable, no?

Especially considering real money owed you think there is one team out there that he would've waived to go to?

Seems odd that he wasn't asked for a list of teams and Guerin didn't try trade him.

Although I guess Suter was better off getting bought out, because he'll probably make more money now.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
NHL Free Agency 2012: Is Craig Leipold a Master of the Dark Arts?

Wild Owner Craig Leipold in April 2012 regarding the upcoming CBA negotiations:

"We're not making money, and that's one reason we need to fix our system. We need to fix how much we're spending right now. [The Wild's] revenues are fine. We're down a little bit in attendance, but we're up in sponsorships, we're up in TV revenue. And so the revenue that we're generating is not the issue as much as our expenses. And [the Wild's] biggest expense by far is player salaries."

Three months later he would sign Parise and Suter to identical 13 year, $98 million contracts. A few months after that the owners locked out the league, presumably because player expenses were too high.

I feel sorry for Wild fans, but I have no sympathy for the massive hit Leipold's pocketbook took in exchange for very little overall impact from these two contracts.

um but we made the playoffs most of the time...and most of that money goes right to his pocket so i don't know that it worked out poorly for him personally.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
So the League is happy with Tampa running at an effective cap of 100M and the Wild competing with an effective cap of 68M?

What a time to be alive.

The cap was more about creating linkage between player compensation and HRR, and less about parity in the short term. The league is happy that players get 50% of HRR, and that likely trumps the "short term" hiccups which occur when outlier events occur. The MINN situation is a limited event based on these long term back-diving contracts are no longer allowed.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Especially considering real money owed you think there is one team out there that he would've waived to go to?

Seems odd that he wasn't asked for a list of teams and Guerin didn't try trade him.

Although I guess Suter was better off getting bought out, because he'll probably make more money now.

Yes, but then there is still the threat of getting hit with the recapture penalty if Suter decides to hang it up or the other team buys him out.

Reactions: rynryn

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

The cap recapture penalties made both of them completely untradeable. The fact that rule was added after these contracts had already been signed within the rules is another matter but that is why trades were never really a valid option for either of them.

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
That's A LOT of dead cap. Holy crap. The Wild won't be able to be competitive in a while, unless they know of some CBA alleviations we're not aware of.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The league doesn't care about how individual teams spend at the top or bottom of the cap, only that the revenue is split 50/50 between owners and player. The split is still in place, so yes the league is happy.

Thought the league wanted competitive balance but I guess it is another mirage like player's safety and balanced schedules?

“Our competitive balance is so extraordinary,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Friday at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston.

Gary Bettman Praises NHL's 'Extraordinary' Competitive Balance - NESN.com

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Suters been on record wanting to stay close to home as possible. i can see Suter with the Hawks now as a replacement for Duncan Keith.

Maybe a decade ago. Now he's in his later 30's, without that many more shots at winning. This might be his last shot. Why go to Chicago now? Just to kill time? Why not just retire?

More power to him if he doesn't want to maybe get to even the 3rd rd once in his career, but he's got money to not play in Minnesota, with the chance to probably pick the contender he wants to sign a league minimum deal with.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The cap recapture penalties made both of them completely untradeable. The fact that rule was added after these contracts had already been signed within the rules is another matter but that is why trades were never really a valid option for either of them.
The changes to the recapture penalties made last year make it not nearly as bad. In fact, it's not much more than what you guys are experiencing now.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Maybe a decade ago. Now he's in his later 30's, without that many more shots at winning. This might be his last shot. Why go to Chicago now? Just to kill time? Why not just retire?

More power to him if he doesn't want to maybe get to even the 3rd rd once in his career, but he's got money to not play in Minnesota, with the chance to probably pick the contender he wants to sign a league minimum deal with.
I'd assume to keep playing the game he loves, make some extra bucks and be near his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad