Confirmed Buy-Out [MIN] Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The changes to the recapture penalties made last year make it not nearly as bad. In fact, it's not much more than what you guys are experiencing now.
Yes, but it also takes the timing of it completely out of the Wild’s hands, having to spend 4 years not knowing how much cap space you will have is an impossible situation for a GM with the fact that you can be hit with a 15 million cap ding at anytime. They forced it now when the team is best structured to manage the dead cap via ELCs and the GM now can structure contracts around that dead cap. Better to rip the bandaid off and have control than be at the mercy of players that you have already traded away.

Reactions: optimus2861

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
They’re saving a lot of money if I’m reading it right. Only paying 833 vs a 6 mill salary this year if not bought out. Also having a ~7 cap in 2 years or whenever it is while only paying 833 isn’t bad

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
They got closer to a cup than the Wild ever did post Suter.

That duo signing was nothing but a failure for the Wild

They made the playoffs almost every year, so I wouldn't call it a failure. Maybe they will raise a banner for the buyouts? Such is the way?

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
um but we made the playoffs most of the time...and most of that money goes right to his pocket so i don't know that it worked out poorly for him personally.
That's the point. Even with two of the most financially reckless contracts in the league, the Wild still easily made money for Leipold. Yet he still cried poor before giving out those contracts.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Others have probably mentioned it and I ain't reading this whole thread but I am thinking the Islanders will be all over Parise as they were supposedly interested at the deadline I think it was.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So the League is happy with Tampa running at an effective cap of 100M and the Wild competing with an effective cap of 68M?

What a time to be alive.
On the one hand, it's taking advantage of something that is legal to get a cap advantage. OTOH, it was taking advantage of something that was legal to get a cap advantage.
:huh:

Reactions: BlackBusa24

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Really? I think it's a great decision and am surprised more people don't see it that way.

The unfortunate factor in all of this IMO, is that it really appears as though Kaprizov has no interest in signing long term with the Wild. He probably is similar to Panarin here in that he just doesn't want to play in a small market. He wants to be in LA, or New York, or perhaps even Toronto or something.

Which sucks for Minnesota, but if thats the case then there isn't much they can do about that. They can't turn Minnesots into a big market.

So what's the solution here? Kaprizov is an RFA so they have his rights. Sign him to a short term, 2-3 year bridge deal now, buyout Parise and Suter to get over 10M in additional cap space for next season... and go allllllll in next year.

After next year, trade Kaprizov and get a massive haul for him, and tank the next 3 years. They come out on the other side then with basically 14M in freed up cap space, and very likely 2-3 Top 5 picks from the tank years as well as whatever haul of assets they get in the Karpizov trade. Not to mention they already have a pair of high end prospects in Rossi and Boldy. Rossi in particular probably has an extended road to the NHL now due to his covid issues over the last 9 months.

So they go all in for 1 year, then absolutely bottom out for 3 years. And after that they are set up amazingly well to build a contender without any bad contracts to deal with and only 1.5M in dead cap space.

I honestly love the play here for them. It's an aggressive all in push for 1 year and a clearly lined out rebuild phase immediately after.

I see two holes in this plan:

First, it's not that easy to build a strong team for one year. This is not fantasy hockey. Team building typically takes time, and from contract perspective you are limited to trading for players with 1 year remaining on a contract, and nobody is giving those away.

Second, I do not think trading Kaprizov will bring in a "haul". He would be in the last year of his contract, presumably wanting to go to specific places to play. Limited trade partners means diminished returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad