Confirmed Buy-Out [MIN] Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Others have probably mentioned it and I ain't reading this whole thread but I am thinking the Islanders will be all over Parise as they were supposedly interested at the deadline I think it was.
2020 deadline yeah there was a deal on the table the details just didn't get worked out in time

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It is extremely funny to me that Edmonton ponied up for Duncan Keith, and then a day later a better old defenseman could be had for free.

Reactions: Ainsy01

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Bill Guerin is insane. He's making Paul Fenton look competent. We all knew there might not be a better way forward than a buyout for Parise, but it should have been the last resort regardless. But also Suter? A player who's still a very important player on your team and worth an amount close to his cap hit? He just crippled this franchise for years to come.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Which invites yet another question. Why would Chi want to replace a 37 year old, with another 37 year old?

Just IMO - but the Hawks only moved Keith because he wanted to be closer to his family. The Hawks blueline is definitely worse after trading Keith, and adding a stable influence like Suter would definitely help insulate the highly thought of young guys.

Reactions: TS Quint

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Bill Guerin is insane. He's making Paul Fenton look competent. We all knew there might not be a better way forward than a buyout for Parise, but it should have been the last resort regardless. But also Suter? A player who's still a very important player on your team and worth an amount close to his cap hit? He just crippled this franchise for years to come.

The Wild maybe going for a rebuild or have a big trade lined up.

Whatever the reason I hope the Wild do good, I've always liked them.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I don't think it's bad here, last year with the injuries, we let the young guys play and they played well.
They have some things to figure out with bad contracts and the Arvidsson deal was a head scratcher, Forsberg seemed unimpressed, But they gave up on Fiala, traded Jones, the Subban deal. I like some of the younger pieces that finally clicked for them in Rocco, Calle and Eeli but there have been a fair amount of ups and downs in Nashville no different than in Minnesota.. they just made it further one post season. Nash is actually one of my favorite teams to follow.. Just seems like an interesting shot at a guy who helped the franchise he went to. But doesnt surprise me considering after all these years he still gets booed whenever he touches the park at Bridgestone.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I think the only news here is that apparently Wild management did not value having ageing Suter on the roster for a few more years all that highly. It's clear that Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba are their top 3 defensive assets by a sizeable margin over Suter.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
That's the point. Even with two of the most financially reckless contracts in the league, the Wild still easily made money for Leipold. Yet he still cried poor before giving out those contracts.

his point is he HAD to sign those contracts if he wanted the team to remain competitive (and make money). there were no discounts and he had to pay up or another team would have done it (and they would have). he wasn't going to lose out just on millions on principle but he recognized and complained about the system in place. Parise and Suter signing definitely helped the team both on ice performance and interest from the public. there wasn't any sort of irony involved in signing those ridiculous contracts. like some dude complaining about paying $40/gal for gas (or the next guy would pay it) so he could get to work to make a living. what is he going to do? feel happy about starving because he didn't buy the $40 gas?

i hate defending this but he wasn't wrong. obvs it's not the same thing--there was no survival involved but as far as his investment goes it applies. in order to make his investment pay off he had to do stuff like this as long as it was still within the rules OR not do it, lose money, and be forced to make up the money wherever else he could by cutting payroll, downsizing off-ice staff, etc. none of these owners would be ruined by their team sucking but in order for there to be actual hockey teams there have to be owners, and these owners have to have some incentive to own teams. usually thats money.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Man I remember them signing those deals. That’s a long time to carry dead cap

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Buying out Suter allows them to protect Dumba in the Expansion draft. They have to submit their list in 4 days, and probably didn't find a deal they liked. Otherwise they lose him for nothing.

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Huge win for both players and their agents

Should easily make the 3.33M to make up for the buyout hit from 10M to 6.67M

Suter probably breaks even this year and Parise next year

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
They have some things to figure out with bad contracts and the Arvidsson deal was a head scratcher, Forsberg seemed unimpressed, But they gave up on Fiala, traded Jones, the Subban deal. I like some of the younger pieces that finally clicked for them in Rocco, Calle and Eeli but there have been a fair amount of ups and downs in Nashville no different than in Minnesota.. they just made it further one post season. Nash is actually one of my favorite teams to follow.. Just seems like an interesting shot at a guy who helped the franchise he went to. But doesnt surprise me considering after all these years he still gets booed whenever he touches the park at Bridgestone.
He gets booed because he lied to Poile when there was no need too. And if you followed the Preds you'd know the Arvidsson deal wasn't a head scratcher at all, and that Forsberg was our best forward by far last year, and that Fiala didn't fit in our lockerroom. Yes, Fiala did well after he was traded, but that's likely because it was a shot to his ego and a wake up call.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If for a year or two on a real cheap contract might be worth it no? Suter is 36 still :p

I don't see how a cheap contract is worth it for either the Hawks or Suter.

I've seen Wild fans write about a country club. If Suter has any competitive bones left in his body, why waste time in Chicago? Go sign a cheap deal with Vegas, or Col, or Car, or someone like that.

If the Hawks bring in Suter, when they're not going to win, just so he can be close to hone and still play hockey, then they're just bringing the club with him.

Keith, going to be closer to his kid, but at least it's Edmonton. The Oilers are desperate to compete. The Hawks know they're not going anywhere yet.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I think the only news here is that apparently Wild management did not value having ageing Suter on the roster for a few more years all that highly. It's clear that Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba are their top 3 defensive assets by a sizeable margin over Suter.
Agreed, I can’t say that I disagree with the assessment either and I have always loved Suter. His play has definitely declined though he was still good/fine. Think management recognized that good isn’t enough and it was time to move on before even more decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad