Confirmed Buy-Out [MIN] Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Buying out Suter might be the worst cap decision a GM has ever made.
A big part of it is finishing off the changing the guard. Minny can easily handle that dead cap space over the next 4 years given the amount of elc/rfa contracts.

Reactions: WildisLaw

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
A big part of it is finishing off the changing the guard. Minny can easily handle that dead cap space over the next 4 years given the amount of elc/rfa contracts.
Yeah Minnesota has a very deep group of prospects that they can draw on over the next 3 years. They were already going to be paying these 2 the money anyways, even if they didnt buy them out.

Reactions: WildisLaw

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If the Habs get him somehow and Chiarot isn't picked in the ED

Eddy - Petry
Suter - Weber
Romanov - Chiarot

Sounds terrible to play against and far better than this past years dcore.

Suter-Weber would get roasted, they both need a speedy reliable partner. I dont think this is how I would do the pairings.

HowSweeeedeItIs

Jan 19, 2014
San Francisco
Does anyone know what the cap recapture would have looked like if either of them retired in the next few years? I'm guessing that the main reason for Minnesota buying them out is fear of them retiring, so they preferred knowing the caphit in advance. Freeing up expansion draft slots is a plus, but I think the potential cap recapture is the main thing going on here.

Reactions: MuckOG

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Changing of the guard or not. At the very least, you ask him if he’ll waive his NMC to go somewhere on a retained salary transaction. Suter is still a very solid top 4 LD, which isn’t going to be replaceable whatsoever with the $150K in cap savings in years 3 and 4 of this buyout. The Wild are not in a good place with their cap whatsoever. Fiala and Kaprizov require extensions which are going to eat up all of the space. There’s going to have to be more moves to make this work after next year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It does seem like the expansion draft was the catalyst here. They don't need to expose Dumba, and can now protect all the forwards they want to as well. It's a harsh decision considering there will be practically no cap relief on their buyouts in years 2-4 but I have no doubt Guerin has calculated this one out pretty thoroughly. It's an end of an era for the Wild.

I agree…they asked to be exposed and refused. They can keep a F and D otherwise exposed.

minnesota has a few ELC starting in 22/23 when the high caps hit so that can absorb some of the pain if you have a rough cap budget slot model for your top 9/top 4. Instead of having a $5M you have an ELC.

I think they also coukd be looking at other pkayers not QOed thst might cost around $2M.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Yeah Minnesota has a very deep group of prospects that they can draw on over the next 3 years. They were already going to be paying these 2 the money anyways, even if they didnt buy them out.
They are one of the few teams that can stomach this mega buyout.
Guerin removed a large portion of the previous old guard last summer and the wild went from slow/boring to speedy/exciting. Its an easy sell to ownership given last seasons results.

All this with boldy + rossi waiting in the wings.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Aging vets, and one he wanted in Detroit years ago... Holland just got moist

EDIT: Live feed from Ken Holland's office

d91.gif

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not a bad move by Minny really. Going for a full-on rebuild is the right move. These buyouts handcuff the team for the next 3-4 years and ensure they will bottom out and get some top picks.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
They got tons of cash. Let Tampa unload their cap issues and both sign there for league minimum.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Changing of the guard or not. At the very least, you ask him if he’ll waive his NMC to go somewhere on a retained salary transaction. Suter is still a very solid top 4 LD, which isn’t going to be replaceable whatsoever with the $150K in cap savings in years 3 and 4 of this buyout. The Wild are not in a good place with their cap whatsoever. Fiala and Kaprizov require extensions which are going to eat up all of the space. There’s going to have to be more moves to make this work after next year.

You're basing this idea on the fact that Suter won't decline by years 3-4. You're also not considering the cap recapture at all. Fiala and Kaprizov will not eat up all the space, we had enough cap for them already and just gained +10mil cap space this year..

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not a bad move by Minny really. Going for a full-on rebuild is the right move. These buyouts handcuff the team for the next 3-4 years and ensure they will bottom out and get some top picks.

Only problem is the caphit for both is terrible in years 2, 3 and 4 to the point it's almost not worth buying them out. I guess Minny will have to hope we see the cap increase after next year to make up for the lost space.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Does anyone know what the cap recapture would have looked like if either of them retired in the next few years? I'm guessing that the main reason for Minnesota buying them out is fear of them retiring, so they preferred knowing the caphit in advance. Freeing up expansion draft slots is a plus, but I think the potential cap recapture is the main thing going on here.

A lot, the Wild hadn't paid down any of their cap advantage. If Minnesota traded them away now and they both retired with one year remaining on their deals the recapture penalties would be about 20 million a piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad