Confirmed Buy-Out [MIN] Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
What is Ryan Suter at this point?
Panthers need a defensively responsible LHD who can play in a 4D role. Preferably one who is mobile.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Panthers need a defensively responsible LHD who can play in a 4D role. Preferably one who is mobile.
Mobile isn't the best word for him as he lost a step.. but hes still smart and his angles usually make up for it. He got beat more this year than I can recall but had a very solid playoffs. He still has a lot left in the tank, 4D is something hes more than capable of.. and I am not a Suter fan by any means. Won't miss his wrist shots from the point, but that dead cap could change my opinion on those haha.

Reactions: kerrabria

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Is this more of a culture change issue? I ask, because I don't see it actually affording the team much flexibility to bring in talent and improve the roster. That said, I think Parise is pretty much done. Injuries have taken his toll. I can see some team giving him a shot in a wave of nostalgia but I doubt it amounts to much. Suter on the other hand is still a legit top four d-man that if in the 18-20:00 minute range per game can be very productive. Certainly help special teams. I think teams will be lining up for him.

i think it was BG talking about changing the "country club" atmosphere in MIN where some players were too comfortable...I'd have to think these are the players he was talking about. If parise continued to play like he was he'd be dead cap space the whole time anyway so that wasn't a surprise. Suter though is still a decent #2-3 D so kind of weird without another reason.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can somebody explain how this helps the Wild because I'm baffled? They get some cap savings next season then take on $42M!!!!! in dead cap in Years 2-4 then 4 years of modest dead cap after that. It seems insane to me to cripple the cap like that.

Were both of them so bad, or toxic, that this had to be done now? This does very little to help the team IMO.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
If Suter can sign another nice contract with term, does this position him to be one of the highest paid nhl players of all time?

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
Damn every team should be in on Suter.
He can now choose his spot. Avs, Maple Leafs, Jets, Caps , Blues , Islanders , Canes..
Funny if they go to the same team Parise and Suter

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Is this more of a culture change issue? I ask, because I don't see it actually affording the team much flexibility to bring in talent and improve the roster. That said, I think Parise is pretty much done. Injuries have taken his toll. I can see some team giving him a shot in a wave of nostalgia but I doubt it amounts to much. Suter on the other hand is still a legit top four d-man that if in the 18-20:00 minute range per game can be very productive. Certainly help special teams. I think teams will be lining up for him.
Culture change, performance, and timing, they knew this was going to hit at some point but did it now when they have the farm team and prospects set to weather the storm. Parise has been benched and Suter is no longer elite, his last 3-4 playoff performances have been poor and the defending is not where it needs to be for the top pairing. Suter could still be useful, but it’s time for the Wild to move on and give the reins over. Should be a great opportunity for Brodin to step into a more prominent role coming off of a season where he showed that he could step up and lead the D, at least for the first half.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'm fine with Parise being bought out, but buying out Suter too? The dead cap space is going to kill them. Makes zero sense.

Reactions: Morrison

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm fine with Parise being bought out, but buying out Suter too? The dead cap space is going to kill them. Makes zero sense.

My guess is something to do with not wanting to protect Suter and him unwilling to waive his NMC? Only thing I can think of.

Either way, crazy.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Gil Gunderson: "That's not the league's problem. One team was smart (and lucky to be fair) about it and the other wasn't."

Allegedly, one team had a desperate GM and Owner and one team had a great medical staff.

Which, witch was which?

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
NHL Free Agency 2012: Is Craig Leipold a Master of the Dark Arts?

Wild Owner Craig Leipold in April 2012 regarding the upcoming CBA negotiations:

"We're not making money, and that's one reason we need to fix our system. We need to fix how much we're spending right now. [The Wild's] revenues are fine. We're down a little bit in attendance, but we're up in sponsorships, we're up in TV revenue. And so the revenue that we're generating is not the issue as much as our expenses. And [the Wild's] biggest expense by far is player salaries."

Three months later he would sign Parise and Suter to identical 13 year, $98 million contracts. A few months after that the owners locked out the league, presumably because player expenses were too high.

I feel sorry for Wild fans, but I have no sympathy for the massive hit Leipold's pocketbook took in exchange for very little overall impact from these two contracts.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Suter is still capable of playing top 4 minutes and could help a contending team. He's never been the most mobile of defensemen, but he gets the job done.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
So the League is happy with Tampa running at an effective cap of 100M and the Wild competing with an effective cap of 68M?

What a time to be alive.

The league doesn't care about how individual teams spend at the top or bottom of the cap, only that the revenue is split 50/50 between owners and player. The split is still in place, so yes the league is happy.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
My guess is something to do with not wanting to protect Suter and him unwilling to waive his NMC? Only thing I can think of.

Either way, crazy.
Sounds like Russo said that neither were asked to waive, which just blows my mind. Suter was stunned.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad