Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
30 players in the NHL with a cap hit of 8M or more last season.
Toews and Kucherov didn't play at all, Seguin only played in 3 games, so I'm taking them out of the pool. 27 players left.

All 27: 0.97 PPG; 0.36 GPG

Players making exactly 9M, 1 total, not including Kaprizov: 0.26 PPG; 0.13 GPG

Players in the 8.5M to 9.5M range, 11 total, including Kaprizov: 0.97 PPG; 0.39 GPG

Players in the 8M to 10M range, 21 total, including Kaprizov: 0.87 PPG; 0.33 GPG

Kaprizov: 0.93 PPG; 0.49 GPG

For a second there I was like c'mon don't use defensemen like Subban. Then I remembered Skinner exists

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
You're really going to try and show something when his $9M comparison is Jeff Skinner? Like that proves he's worth the money? And you include a range that includes Getzlaf, Johansen, etc.?

I'm not saying he's not worth the money, but your stats are a joke.

he gave a range that went below and above what Kaprizov is making, and you're focusing on the one player who makes exactly the same for some reason. He included that because my original question was "what is the avg PPG for players making $9m". how is this a joke?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You're really going to try and show something when his $9M comparison is Jeff Skinner? Like that proves he's worth the money? And you include a range that includes Getzlaf, Johansen, etc.?

I'm not saying he's not worth the money, but your stats are a joke.

The question was what 9M gets you in terms of PPG.
I compiled every forward in the league with a cap hit of over 8M.
I included several ranges to show how those top 30 (27) paid players produce in different cap ranges.
I am unsure why you're mad at me for simply doing math with the data set I was given.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
For a second there I was like c'mon don't use defensemen like Subban. Then I remembered Skinner exists

Yeah I didn't include defenseman in that, and I mostly included Skinner as somewhat of a joke, because obviously Skinner is not worth his contract, but at the same time, he still has a 9M cap hit, and is the only other forward in the league with the same exact cap hit as Kaprizov, so it's still relevant.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well really $45m for one good partial NHL season.

Well technically he's getting $45M for five seasons of the same or better.
He only got like 900k + bonuses for his one good partial NHL season.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
That proved his all time great KHL career translates.
Well technically he's getting $45M for five seasons of the same or better.
He only got like 900k + bonuses for his one good partial NHL season.

I read it as "rewarded for one good season with $9m". just pointing out they liked him so much they committed $45m. :)

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Matthews received a similar shorter deal while also being paid his asking price.

Not every player gives up money to sign for fewer seasons it appears. Some GMs give both.

This player thrived in Minnesota which speaks volumes with how dull that team has been for over a decade. It makes sense to keep the player invested considering the energy and talent he provides.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
This is a brutal contract for the Wild.

He gets this contract after 55 games in what was arguably the weakest division in the league. 4 months... 55 game sample size. Admittedly, he had a very good regular season... as a rookie... but took a step back in the playoffs. The majority of this contract are RFA years as well.

If he takes step back next year and media/fans come down on him he will blame the lack of an offensive minded center.

Based on his words and actions thus far, I wouldn't doubt that without team & or personal success, he demands a trade within the next couple seasons or he will threaten to go play in Russia if they don't trade him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This is a brutal contract for the Wild.

He gets this contract after 55 games in what was arguably the weakest division in the league. 4 months... 55 game sample size. Admittedly, he had a very good regular season... as a rookie... but took a step back in the playoffs. The majority of this contract are RFA years as well.

If he takes step back next year and media/fans come down on him he will blame the lack of an offensive minded center.

Based on his words and actions thus far, I wouldn't doubt that without team & or personal success, he demands a trade within the next couple seasons or he will threaten to go play in Russia if they don't trade him.

Then good for us, we're out from under a "brutal contract".

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This makes me think of the contract negotiations between 24-year-old Mike Cammalleri and Dean Lombardi in the Summer of 2007. Cammalleri had just scored 80 points in 81 games and wanted to get paid. Lombardi offered him $2.6M. They went to arbitration and the arbitrator awarded a 2-year contract for $3.1M and $3.6M... for a player in his prime who had just scored a point per game. Now, such an RFA gets $9M. Times have changed.

Reactions: Eegs and malcb33

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This makes me think of the contract negotiations between 24-year-old Mike Cammalleri and Dean Lombardi in the Summer of 2007. Cammalleri had just scored 80 points in 81 games and wanted to get paid. Lombardi offered him $2.6M. They went to arbitration and the arbitrator awarded a 2-year contract for $3.1M and $3.6M... for a player in his prime who had just scored a point per game. Now, such an RFA gets $9M. Times have changed.

For 5 years, not 2. And under a cap that has increased by ~60%.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
You act like this is a normal situation as opposed to a situation that's happened like twice in the cap era.
Well the guy I was replying to was saying the KHL numbers were used to sign this contract, but I'm saying its mostly just based on this past season.

Even guys who rip up the KHL, GMs are pretty weary

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
For 5 years, not 2. And under a cap that has increased by ~60%.

$9M is lot more than just 60% more than $3.35M and it'd be more if it were for only 2 years, since years reduce AAV. The point, though, is that what Kaprizov just got is close to what a UFA would get. In 2007, RFAs didn't have the same luxury. The "middle contract" has virtually disappeared.

Last edited:

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
This is not a bad contract. It is actually a really good contract. Minnesota just locked up their best player on a team that improved significantly when he arrived. I guess it is now a bad thing to give 9 million/year to the best and most important player on your team who is only 24 years old and is a great goal scorer to boot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad