Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
???? Kovalchuk was in the NHL right from age 18 and had 3 40 plus (one being a 50 goal) year under his belt and a high 80 and a high 90 point season on his resume by the time he got to Kaprizov's age.

Radulov produced very similarly in the KHL
48 points in 52 games as a 22 year old and 63 points in 54 games as a 23 year old.

Krill posted 62 in 57 as a 22 year old so not all that different then Radulov

The kid is a good young player but your really overstating his KHL accume/accomplishments against that comparable list.

He seemed to be slightly ahead Radov but wasn't in Kovachuk's league in terms of accompaniments.

Again, both Kovalchuk and Radulov had a different paths to start their careers than Kaprizov did. Not sure why you want to use them as comparisons

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Ok I’ll choose my words more carefully next time. Hopefully for Minny his play doesn’t decline. The trend is for him to continue to improve and score more. We’ll see how it plays out.

i wasn't trying to be cute--its just that people who worry about regression are usually talking about a player who has had a sudden bump in stats (like in a contract year) and worried they'll go back to being meh. Kaprizov's only questionmark as far as play goes was whether he'd be comfortable on NA ice. They already saw how he played vs adults, how he played against top comp in international play. Last worry was watching him for warts on a different sized sheet of ice. 55 games was enough to see he was comfortable, competent, and confident.

it is still a gamble, but it's a pretty safe one IMO. now the risk is the "comfort" risk. player signs big contract, gets too comfortable, effort drops. but with five years on this one he'll be looking for another big payday so i don't think there's risk his motivation will drop.

Reactions: Waterbuf

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Anyway you slice it, Kaprizov is coming out of this well. He's getting paid like a proven superstar with only having to play 55 games. He controls his destiny once he hits UFA years, so he can force his way out of MN to a team he wants to play for. And he will make bank on his next contract assuming he performs in the future. Yeah, he has to suck it up for a few years on a likely bad team, and he doesn't become a UFA immediately, but you can't do much worse than this when you're drafted by a team you wish hadn't done so.

Now that we have KK's contract in place, it really is laughable how Guerin and gang expect to compete in the next 4 years when you look at future cap hit under contract. The dead cap hit coupled with deals like this one are brutal.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
8 x X would have been nice but with his KHL risk/leverage it was always going to be a team-unfriendly contract, this isn't a bad signing though. The people losing their heads in this thread don't have a good feel for current NHL contract values.

Edit: and to all the comments talking about only 55 games, it wasn't a hot streak. If you watched the player you could see the level of play he brings, which is superstar level.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i wasn't trying to be cute--its just that people who worry about regression are usually talking about a player who has had a sudden bump in stats (like in a contract year) and worried they'll go back to being meh. Kaprizov's only questionmark as far as play goes was whether he'd be comfortable on NA ice. They already saw how he played vs adults, how he played against top comp in international play. Last worry was watching him for warts on a different sized sheet of ice. 55 games was enough to see he was comfortable, competent, and confident.

it is still a gamble, but it's a pretty safe one IMO. now the risk is the "comfort" risk. player signs big contract, gets too comfortable, effort drops. but with five years on this one he'll be looking for another big payday so i don't think there's risk his motivation will drop.

He seems like the type to be more intrinsically motivated, so I wouldn't be too worried about his effort level falling off.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Wait isn't this the guy who has played about half a season?

Hoping this deal will not blow at their faces.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Again, both Kovalchuk and Radulov had a different paths to start their careers than Kaprizov did. Not sure why you want to use them as comparisons

I'm not, just pointing out that your statement of him producing much more at the same age wasn't accurate.

I have no comparison as he made his NHL debut in a situation and setup that had never happened before and as such its hard to accurately judge his year vs. Other past players.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm not, just pointing out that your statement of him producing much more at the same age wasn't accurate.

I have no comparison as he made his NHL debut in a situation and setup that had never happened before and as such its hard to accurately judge his year vs. Other past players.

I was comparing Kaprizovs numbers to Gusev and Dadanov. Not Kovalchuk and Radulov.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Seems like an overpayment for just 55 NHL games played.

He had 33 pts in 32 games with a +18 against 4 bottom feeder teams(ARI/ANA/LA/SJ), and 18pts with a -8 in 23 against COL/STL/VGK. He also wasn’t too much of a factor in the playoffs either, with just 3 points in that 7 game series.

I’m curious to see how he performs in a full 82 against the entire league, especially now that he has more tape on how he plays.

this is a good point

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is a great deal imo. Ideally, for both sides, he signs for a bridge deal to prove his worth, but Minnesota's cap situation took that option away. So yes, it's a lot of cash to invest in a player with that few NHL games, but it was for the perfect term that suited Minnesota. To go longer would have ramped up the AAV

Reactions: Waterbuf and BHD

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'd think a 5 year deal of any $ amt would be better for the league than 8 year deals which create longer static periods.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was comparing Kaprizovs numbers to Gusev and Dadanov. Not Kovalchuk and Radulov.

Gotcha. Well those two aren't very good examples. Gusev isn't even a top 6 caliber player and as such isn't making that much cash. Dandonov produced really well his second stint in the NHL but signed in his 30's which likely played a role in it only being for an aav of $5 million.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
You're missing the point.
Kaprisov got paid because of the season he just played, not his KHL production.

No GM would hand out anywhere near a 45 million dollar contract to Kaprisov a year ago. Thus my (true) statement GMs are weary of giving KHL guys big contracts without NHL proof
The CBA kinda prevents it, but great analysis Dr.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
A bit more money than I'd like, but not too bad. Good job by Billy for getting the five years.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
As a outsider I think the Wild are truly the biggest WTF team in the NHL right now. Curious to see how the next handful of years play out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad