Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The players get a percentage of the revenue. No single player's contract changes the math on that.

The revenue keeps going up because dopes like you are willing to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for tickets to the games and $10 beers

Thanks for calling me a dope, when I have been to exactly 1 NHL game my whole life.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Canadian GMs have screwed up RFA deals and UFA deals.

The Wild are getting Kaprizov through his prime. And the Calder Trophy says he has proven quite a bit. Anyone saying this deal is awful after seeing the UFA deals handed out this summer is a dumbass.
Justifying terrible contacts by comparing them to other terrible contracts is what causes it to escalate.
"Well it's good compared to [insert terrible deal]"

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Get a talent like him in his prime years for decent money is great for Minny. Anyone that thinks it’s an overpay somehow thinks what he showed last year was a fluke. He’s the real deal.

Reactions: Waterbuf

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Good Kap didn't burn the Cap too much but i smell a soft to medium smell of Skinner 2,0 here i hope i am wrong and the smell disappears into my ass again

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Do you seriously listen to uninformed people? He was essentially point per game against every team in the division except St. Louis.

STL 7GP 2G 1A 3PTS
COL 8GP 3G 4A 7PTS
VGK 8GP 6G 2A 8PTS
ANA 8GP 1G 7A 8PTS
LAK 8GP 6G 3A 9PTS
SJS 8GP 4G 2A 6PTS
ARI 8GP 5G 5A 10PTS

How do you post the stats and then say this "He was essentially point per game against every team in the division except St. Louis."... He was only a ppg player against 4/7 (57%) teams in arguably the worst division in the league last year.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Ive watched him play plenty. And I'm not saying the Wild made a mistake, they needed to get him signed.

But getting 9 million after 1 good season is utterly insane. Its completely unprecedented and the only reason you're getting so defensive is because of your fandom.

Before Kaprizov even came over, everyone was aware of the level of player he was. In the KHL and in international play, he was exceptional. His production at the same age as some of the best Russians in the game is similar or better. You know, guys like Panarin. The only question left when he came over was not "how good is he?" it was, "can it translate to the NHL?"

It did translate, and he got paid accordingly. I'm disagreeing with you because you're wrong, not because you offended the honor of the team I cheer for. Get over yourself.
Panarin got 2 years/6m after 2 seasons and it was clears that they he was worth a longer a commitment at the time.

It would have been nice for the team to have had a full season before committing but the pandemic hellscape had other ideas, but the dude isn’t that much of a black box.

Makar is 22 and has only played 101 regular season games (and 35 playoff games). I’m assuming you were sold on him at some point with not a whole lot of games played.

KK probably squeezed an extra mil from them but he wanted a bridge deal they couldn’t give him and the deal includes two UFA years. (And before you yap at me, the Makar comparison is just about your fainting couch over GP, his deal is definitely much more team friendly.)

Not a Wild fan but he’s right and you’re wrong and the “you’re just saying that because your a fan and my piercing observation about a player’s contract hurt your feelings, and so your reasonable response is really just you lashing out in anger, so there” is always the sign of someone who has no other argument.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How is it all about me? But enjoy that 9mil if he is a 50-60 person player going forward.
"If he is". Well, IF he is, you will be looking really smart. However, at this point there is 0 evidence THAT he is. So is it really better to trade him/let him go to the KHL/whatever than pay him what the actual evidence, limited as it is, shows he's worth?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
That's not true. Marner was presented w at least one offer sheet ...

Aha, so they HAD to give him $11 million per year at age 22. Got it.

Not saying Marner didn't have any leverage, but Kap clearly has more. Not only is he the only potential/current superstar that team's had for awhile, but he could go play back home if he really didn't like the offers. Minnesota needs him more than Toronto needed Marner back in the day...and now as well, of course.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
How do you post the stats and then say this "He was essentially point per game against every team in the division except St. Louis."... He was only a ppg player against 4/7 (57%) teams in arguably the worst division in the league last year.
The argument being made by misinformed posters is that Kap got all his points against the four Cali teams. Against the two best teams in the division he posted 16GP 9G 6A 15PTS. Close enough to point per game in my book given the circumstances he had to play with.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm guessing it's the highest cap hit and highest total contract ever for someone with less than or equal to 55, 82, 100, or even more games played?

I'm from MN. We had to pay it. I just want to know the facts.

It is. For 55, probably 82 and 100 as well.

But the only other contract comparable to him is Panarin, and that didn't work out well for the Blackhawks in terms of being able to keep him.

Might even be 200 games?

200 you can probably find a number of high-end players that extended after their second year which would be like 160 games.

Eichel is one off the top of my head.
Maker player two seasons for a combined 101 regular season games and he played 35 playoff games.

Makar started college when he was 19 in 2017-18, and sign after his 2018-19 sophomore season. He played in the playoffs, burning the first year of his ELC.

These were two shortened seasons, plus he played 57 games out of 70 in his rookie season and 44 games out of 56 games last season due to various injuries.

Makar got 6 years/9m

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
It probably shouldn’t surprise me at this point, but it’s fascinating how difficult it is for people to grasp that, sometimes, players are being paid for how good they are, and an extensive NHL résumé is only one way of indicating that. Hockey exists outside of the NHL. Players can actually prove their quality outside of it. Guys like Panarin or Kaprizov didn’t suddenly start learning to play the game when they hit an NHL rink. If your talent evaluation absolutely hinges on having proven everything in the NHL for an extensive amount of time, that’s firmly a you-problem, and one that’s resulting on you missing out.

Good for the Wild to keep an outstanding player around long term.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Minnesota had to pay a premium to Kirill for not willing to give him a bridge deal, and it paid it. That's what deals are usually about, because there are usually two sides (at least) in them. I'm pretty sure they could sign him for something like 3 years/$7 million or even less, but they chose not.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not that good at math are you? 5x82=410 games ;)

I think that one flew way over your head. He only played 55 games as a rookie in the NHL last year and he got 9.0 for 5.

I can see both sides of the coin here.

They can't afford to lose talent like him, but also, that's a lot to give for such a small sample size.

Hope all works out for both sides.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I really don't get the whining about this deal. He's a Calder winner JFC, and eveyone and their grandma can see it was not just a fluke.

This deal is going to be a steal.

santapore

Oct 11, 2010
Well i would love to get kaprizov at 9mil instead that we got hayes at 7mil on flyers

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pretty crazy to be able to get $9M after only playing a single season in the league but Kaprizov is worth every penny of that, he's going to be a superstar.

Russian prospects should see this and realize the value of staying in KHL for a couple of extra years to develop and what kind of payoff that can generate.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I think that one flew way over your head. He only played 55 games as a rookie in the NHL last year and he got 9.0 for 5.

I can see both sides of the coin here.

They can't afford to lose talent like him, but also, that's a lot to give for such a small sample size.

Hope all works out for both sides.

Well, i do understand that. He is still getting paid 9 mio per year for 5 years so my math is correct ;)

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Probably a good deal. Kaprizov is already or should really soon be in his prime. Just hope Guerin manages to turn the ship around within four years now.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
lol @ minny fans who thought that they were going to play hardball and offer 4 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad