Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Panarin got 2 years/6m after 2 seasons and it was clears that they he was worth a longer a commitment at the time.

It would have been nice for the team to have had a full season before committing but the pandemic hellscape had other ideas, but the dude isn’t that much of a black box.

Makar is 22 and has only played 101 regular season games (and 35 playoff games). I’m assuming you were sold on him at some point with not a whole lot of games played.

KK probably squeezed an extra mil from them but he wanted a bridge deal they couldn’t give him and the deal includes two UFA years. (And before you yap at me, the Makar comparison is just about your fainting couch over GP, his deal is definitely much more team friendly.)

Not a Wild fan but he’s right and you’re wrong and the “you’re just saying that because your a fan and my piercing observation about a player’s contract hurt your feelings, and so your reasonable response is really just you lashing out in anger, so there” is always the sign of someone who has no other argument.
I’m not a Wild fan either but he’s not wrong at all.

Giving a guy with just over half a seasons worth of production in a different environment than usual NHL, a poor playoff showing and only producing at a ~75pt pace NINE MILLION DOLLARS is just ridiculous.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It probably shouldn’t surprise me at this point, but it’s fascinating how difficult it is for people to grasp that, sometimes, players are being paid for how good they are, and an extensive NHL résumé is only one way of indicating that. Hockey exists outside of the NHL. Players can actually prove their quality outside of it. Guys like Panarin or Kaprizov didn’t suddenly start learning to play the game when they hit an NHL rink. If your talent evaluation absolutely hinges on having proven everything in the NHL for an extensive amount of time, that’s firmly a you-problem, and one that’s resulting on you missing out.

Good for the Wild to keep an outstanding player around long term.
You mean like NJ giving Gusev $4.5M and buying him out one season later because he sucked?

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Justifying terrible contacts by comparing them to other terrible contracts is what causes it to escalate.
"Well it's good compared to [insert terrible deal]"
The players are entitled to 50% of hockey related revenue. No terrible contract changes that. It's the same amount of money no matter which player is getting what. The cap goes up because the amount of money coming in goes up, not because someone overpaid Milan Lucic.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
lol I don't want to hear 1 more word about Marner. 5 years, 9 million for a guy with a half a season of games. Unreal.

Kap is twice the player Marner is. His production will sky rocket to Panarin levels before you know it, and that'll be with worse linemates than Mitchell

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Come on guys... Let's be realistic he isn't sniffing those numbers. He shot at 17% for 55 games. Of those 55 games, 32 of them were against Anaheim, SJ, Arizona, and LA.

This is a terrible deal that is going to backfire hard.

What's so outlandish about 17% for a guy who was known to be a legit goalscorer when he came over?

His 17% wasn't even top 20 in the league last year, and it was on a high volume of shots. We're not talking about someome like Alex Wennberg and his 20% shot percentage here. Your take is just dismissive for the sake of being dismissive.

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Kap is twice the player Marner is. His production will sky rocket to Panarin levels before you know it, and that'll be with worse linemates than Mitchell
I'm a massive Kaprizov fan (own the RR jersey), but Marner is a 90 point player. I wouldn't be surprised if Kaprizov gets to 90 points soon, but to say he's twice the player of Marner is pretty disingenuous.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
What's so outlandish about 17% for a guy who was known to be a legit goalscorer when he came over?

His 17% wasn't even top 20 in the league last year. Your take is just dismissive for the sake of being dismissive.

Comparing statistical outliers to stastical outliers isn't a very useful exercise. Point and Draisaitl are the only players in the NHL with a career shooting percentage (with at least 800 shots) over 17%. 20th among active players is 13.97%.

Maybe Kaprizov will have the highest career shooting percentage in the NHL. Personally, I'd bet on regression before that.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Comparing statistical outliers to stastical outliers isn't a very useful exercise. Point and Draisaitl are the only players in the NHL with a career shooting percentage (with at least 800 shots) over 17%. 20th among active players is 13.97%.

Maybe Kaprizov will have the highest career shooting percentage in the NHL. Personally, I'd bet on regression before that.

The thing is even if he falls to say 13%, which would be low for a player of his calibre, he's still a 30 goal scorer with his shot volume over 82 games. That's in addition to being someone who drives the play and creates chances at a pretty high level. His floor is higher than you are suggesting, that's all.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The 55 games is what it is. The contract was always going to be unconventional given the circumstances of both him and the team, and our not being able to consider any kind of a bridge.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I’m not a Wild fan either but he’s not wrong at all.

Giving a guy with just over half a seasons worth of production in a different environment than usual NHL, a poor playoff showing and only producing at a ~75pt pace NINE MILLION DOLLARS is just ridiculous.

Typically I would agree with your post. But try as hard as you might, you can't ignore his entire body of work that started before he arrived in the NHL.

Do you think that CHI regrets signing Panarin to his bridge deal and walking him to UFA? Instead of letting Kaprizov walk to UFA, they locked him up for a good chunk of his prime. To do so, they had to pay a premium. Is there a risk? Of course, but one that the Wild (or any team) would have to make.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's a W for the Wild in my books.

They desperately need a player like Kaprizov, both for the team and the fans sanity. He's wearing a Wild jersey for (presumably) 6 years before possibly moving on, and for guys near their mid 20's coming over, that's not a guarantee.

I'd say a 5th round pick well used. Hawks would've probably liked to see Breadman for 6 instead of 2.

If for some reason it doesn't work out, well, that's just another reason to start a rebuild.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad