Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If you're signing 8 figure contracts based on non NHL success, longterm thats a losing game as a GM. It gives some context to him as a unsurprisingly good player, but really the only production you can directly value is this past season.

I mean Kaprisov only had 3 points in 7 games in his NHL playoff career. There are avenues to argue Kaprisov over Marner but I don't think playoff production is the way to do it, even considering Marner's horrendous showings.

Too bad Columbus was so stupid to walk Panarin right into UFA vs locking him up into some UFA years. Kirills stats and performances in the KHL demonstrated ample hockey bona fides. His NhL success was a surprise to no one that followed his career.

Reactions: GuerinUp and Zuluss

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If you're signing 8 figure contracts based on non NHL success, longterm thats a losing game as a GM. It gives some context to him as a unsurprisingly good player, but really the only production you can directly value is this past season.

I mean Kaprisov only had 3 points in 7 games in his NHL playoff career. There are avenues to argue Kaprisov over Marner but I don't think playoff production is the way to do it, even considering Marner's horrendous showings.

You act like this is a normal situation as opposed to a situation that's happened like twice in the cap era.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I thought they'd only get a 4 year deal from him

Kirill is the real deal. Guerin did really good for his franchise today

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
geeze... these contracts nowadays my god

yes hes talented, but cmon... guys with this limited NHL experience shouldnt be getting this so fast. No wonder every year teams scramble due to cap issues

However, im happy hes signed though... was fun to watch last year

Good on Kaprizov massively cashing in though.. gotta get that money fast

Its a little much but our best player. Not to mention his center was holding the line back many nights, too many nights.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Its a little much but our best player. Not to mention his center was holding the line back many nights, too many nights.

or horror of horror maybe our GM and coach are right and Rask isn't as terrible as fans like to make him out to be.

edit: do not get me wrong--he does not pass my eye test but it is possible he does somehow make others better while looking bad himself.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
The guy had Victor Rask as his center for most of the year. You ever watch him play? He will outperform this contract.

If we find a great center i think so. I dont think he will be overpaid by the end of the deal that is foe sure.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
what's the avg ppg for $9m players? i have no idea.

30 players (forwards) in the NHL with a cap hit of 8M or more last season.
Toews and Kucherov didn't play at all, Seguin only played in 3 games, so I'm taking them out of the pool. 27 players left.

All 27: 0.97 PPG; 0.36 GPG

Players making exactly 9M, 1 total, not including Kaprizov: 0.26 PPG; 0.13 GPG

Players in the 8.5M to 9.5M range, 11 total, including Kaprizov: 0.97 PPG; 0.39 GPG

Players in the 8M to 10M range, 21 total, including Kaprizov: 0.87 PPG; 0.33 GPG

Kaprizov: 0.93 PPG; 0.49 GPG

Last edited:

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
plus the 55 game tape of him doing it with Viktor Rasks corpse.

People dont know how real this is, mutiple plays would just die by his side every game. Kap and zuc were setting him up left and right but it was a bloody mess.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Is there anyway Pettersson doesn’t come in at at least 8.5M?
I think before this there was talk of 6-7 years at 9.5 million but I would be shocked if he signs for 4-5 years. Its going to be 3 years at or around what Barzel signed for imo.
With 17 million there is still a chance at long-term for both but I doubt it now. Possibly Quinn at 7+ for 7 and petey at 7.25 for 3 is my guess but both being bridged allows them to have cap for Brock while having Myers and Pearson off the books plus whatever cap increase over the next 3 years. Maybe 4 for Quinn since he's not a ufa until 5 years.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
or horror of horror maybe our GM and coach are right and Rask isn't as terrible as fans like to make him out to be.

edit: do not get me wrong--he does not pass my eye test but it is possible he does somehow make others better while looking bad himself.

They aren't right....

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I don't see it. For 9 million without term...you are expecting him to be a PPG or better...if he isn't then it just is a bad contract.

We are absolutely expecting it with one asterisk, a mild upgrade as his center. Doesnt have to be huge, just serviceable. We might have that but we might not for another year or so.

Reactions: PM88RU

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
View attachment 465867
have you seen the way that kaprizov plays? He does deserve the money
Listen hes a great player but he's been a ppg player once in the KHL and this season he played 40 games against 4 bottom 10 teams and one middling team in the blues. His numbers are really hard to judge because of this. Hopefully it works out but
I'm seeing a lot of people who bash a GM like Dubas for the MM signing saying how good Guerin did here.
Marner was far more proven and the actual structure of the deal is far more trade friendly if need be.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
30 players in the NHL with a cap hit of 8M or more last season.
Toews and Kucherov didn't play at all, Seguin only played in 3 games, so I'm taking them out of the pool. 27 players left.

All 27: 0.97 PPG; 0.36 GPG

Players making exactly 9M, 1 total, not including Kaprizov: 0.26 PPG; 0.13 GPG

Players in the 8.5M to 9.5M range, 11 total, including Kaprizov: 0.97 PPG; 0.39 GPG

Players in the 8M to 10M range, 21 total, including Kaprizov: 0.87 PPG; 0.33 GPG

Kaprizov: 0.93 PPG; 0.49 GPG

You're really going to try and show something when his $9M comparison is Jeff Skinner? Like that proves he's worth the money? And you include a range that includes Getzlaf, Johansen, etc.?

I'm not saying he's not worth the money, but your stats are a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad