Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Good job by Gueren setting his final offer in stone and making Kirill accept it. Both sides eventually compromised on term and AAV. I think he plays out this deal and leaves as a UFA but Minnesota just bought his entire prime for a very reasonable AAV. This guy is the same age as Eichel. Making $1mm less per year but in a healthier body and a better goal scorer.

Good on Kirill to get the full NTC for the last two years so he can’t be moved to a city he’d hate. I figured they were fighting over this type of clause. This is a deal be probably plays out and walks from but Minnesota gets him for six seasons. He’s really dang good for those of you that didn’t see him play in the weird 2020-21 season. As an opposition fan, I’d pay to watch him. Can’t say that about another wild player.

Reactions: rynryn

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No kidding. I'm well aware, I'm just pointing out the Wild get him for less guaranteed time than other teams get their young stars, and coming off his 2nd contract he will be a UFA (which isn't the case for a lot of young players).

But honestly the length isn't the problem here, its the price compared to what he has proven.

The price seems to only be a problem to people whose only argument is "55 games" or "one season"

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
A good question.

One that can be answered with more games played than 56, but thats just me.
Unfortunately Wild don't have more seasons to evaluate.

What they have is a Dominant KHL and international career, combined with a 30 goal season as a rookie that exceeded most everyone's expectations, plus the 55 game tape of him doing it with Viktor Rasks corpse.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The price seems to only be a problem to people whose only argument is "55 games" or "one season"
Look at the other forwards who get paid over 9 million they've all proven and accomplished more. Not to mention the risk you're taking considering there is only 1 year to examine. There is no way to dice this as a good contract, the Wild were backed into a corner with the threat of him leaving to Russia and gave him what he wanted to keep him here.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
In what way? Based on what?

I eagerly anticipate your reply showing me that you never actually watched the player.

Ehlers is an elite possession driving forward that scores exceptionally well at 5 on 5.

He hasn't gotten number 1 pp time which is largely why he's been more of a 65 point player and not a 75 plus point player.

I actually also like that comparison better then Conner as Nik is a better player then Conner is.

When I watched him, he was more of a play driving player as mentioned in surixon's comment. It's meant to be a compliment, Ehlers is a better player than Connor imo.

Reactions: AKL

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I'm guessing it's the highest cap hit and highest total contract ever for someone with less than or equal to 55, 82, 100, or even more games played?

I'm from MN. We had to pay it. I just want to know the facts.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d much rather have this guy making $9mm than Marner making $10.9mm. Both are sublime players. But this isn’t an overpay. He’s 24. He’s entering his prime. You’re paying for his peak seasons with none of the 21 year old player growing pains. $9mm feels like a bargain.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Look at the other forwards who get paid over 9 million they've all proven and accomplished more. Not to mention the risk you're taking considering there is only 1 year to examine. There is no way to dice this as a good contract, the Wild were backed into a corner with the threat of him leaving to Russia and gave him what he wanted to keep him here.

Watch hockey sometime. Seriously, just watch him play hockey. Stop looking at stats and scary headlines. If you're going to look at headlines at least make sure you understand what's going on. You don't seem to.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
No player is aiming to be MacKinnon in the contract negotiation department. This way he'll never be the chump "best contract in hockey" winner.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
So at the very least, if he plays like a 9mil player this season (or whenever) is he immediately no longer overpayed?

Reactions: rynryn

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

There was no threat of that.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm guessing it's the highest cap hit and highest total contract ever for someone with less than or equal to 55, 82, 100, or even more games played?

I'm from MN. We had to pay it. I just want to know the facts.

It is. For 55, probably 82 and 100 as well.

But the only other contract comparable to him is Panarin, and that didn't work out well for the Blackhawks in terms of being able to keep him.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Even if this ends up being a bad contract, who cares? It ends in five years, we're not going to be relevant for those five years anyway. There's very little actual practical risk in this deal.
Pretty dumb logic. If that’s the case then why not immediately retain 50% and get a massive haul and be better quicker?

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Watch hockey sometime. Seriously, just watch him play hockey. Stop looking at stats and scary headlines. If you're going to look at headlines at least make sure you understand what's going on. You don't seem to.
Ive watched him play plenty. And I'm not saying the Wild made a mistake, they needed to get him signed.

But getting 9 million after 1 good season is utterly insane. Its completely unprecedented and the only reason you're getting so defensive is because of your fandom.

Reactions: account deactivated

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
It is. For 55, probably 82 and 100 as well.

But the only other contract comparable to him is Panarin, and that didn't work out well for the Blackhawks in terms of being able to keep him.
Might even be 200 games?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ive watched him play plenty. And I'm not saying the Wild made a mistake, they needed to get him signed.

But getting 9 million after 1 good season is utterly insane. Its completely unprecedented and the only reason you're getting so defensive is because of your fandom.

Before Kaprizov even came over, everyone was aware of the level of player he was. In the KHL and in international play, he was exceptional. His production at the same age as some of the best Russians in the game is similar or better. You know, guys like Panarin. The only question left when he came over was not "how good is he?" it was, "can it translate to the NHL?"

It did translate, and he got paid accordingly. I'm disagreeing with you because you're wrong, not because you offended the honor of the team I cheer for. Get over yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad