Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I love how the Wild are damned if they do, damned if they dont. "The Wild are being cheap....they paid him too much....he doesn't want to play there.....yeah he agreed to 5 years, but they should have traded him (which would then lead to) they can't keep a top player."

I'm not thrilled about the cost considering he hasn't even played a normal length season yet, but why trade him? So another team can overpay him? Because he was going to be overpaid.

Both Guerin and Kap were being big #@$!heads during this process.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
This has been looked into.
He was a career 15% percent shooter in the KHL(18 to 23 aged seasons), and over his last three KHL seasons shot 19%.

There is no evidence of big drop offs in shooting percentage between KHL and NHL and vice versa. 17% is a likely normal shooting percentage for him.
12% is a normal shooting percent if he drops to that his goals and season points pace take a huge hit

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The KHL factor pretty much tied Minnesota's hands. If they didn't give him a bloated contract, you know he'd go off to Russia and get paid.
KHL factor didn't exist and all sides knew it. Had nothing to do with it.

He's an elite winger that got paid elite winger money for agreeing to stay until he is 30.

Reactions: Magnifico and LOFIN

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He had to be signed at all costs by the team (and GM), and the contract reflects that.

The team will still probably get fair value for the deal though, barring any slumps or major injuries

Reactions: ugrakarma

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Kaprizov did play hard ball though? It took months to sign him. If Kyle Connor and his 7 million is in the ballpark for Kaprizov, then why is 9m a good contract?

I'm not saying Kaprizov is a bad player or anything but I think people would be less callous if it was in the 7.5 - 8.2 range or so. There's currently 9 wingers making more money than him. Two (Skinner and Benn) obviously don't belong so let's say he's the 8th best paid winger if we remove the shitty contracts like they don't exist just for me. Can that really be justified? Especially when there's been zero cap rise for 3 years now.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter for Minny if he gets a mil less or more but it's just a wild number to me when you compare it with Rantanen (Which was literally the only thing I took exception to to begin with)

Connor is a solid finisher, but I wouldn't say he drives the play on his line. He's got Scheifele and Wheeler for that.

Reactions: Chips

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Is this how Wild fans really feel? Ugh.
It actually makes sense whether the deal ends up being bad or not.

14mil in dead cap is going to hurt, I can’t imagine they aren’t going to lose an important player after this season in addition to relying on less experienced players. This is basically their best chance at being at least close to a “legit” contender for the next 4 years. Not quite the same as potentially wasting several years of an open window overpaying a star or two (hypothetical, not trying to get into a whole thing about anyone else)

I personally feel safe betting he’s worth the money if not this season, than the next and think what he did was impressive especially as it was his first/adjustment season in the NHL and his center was garbage compared to what most/all comparably paid wingers have to work with…

But at the very worst they have a flashy 60pt forward to keep fans interested and stop their young guys developing a losing culture because they can feel they at least have a chance at winning any given game through the dark years

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
12% is a normal shooting percent if he drops to that his goals and season points pace take a huge hit

That's a normal shooting percentage for good NHL forward. Not necessarily an elite scoring one.

We won't know for sure what his norm is for a few years, but evidence is stronger that 17% is in his norm range.

He has put up 18%,19%,20%,17%, in the last 4 years while leading the KHL in goals 3 times and finishing top 10 in NHL goals (with an extremely poor C to play with).

It's more likely he's a high end scorer and shooter than not.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Connor is a solid finisher, but I wouldn't say he drives the play on his line. He's got Scheifele and Wheeler for that.
No way I call a one zone player a line driver. Line driver drives his line up the ice.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The KHL factor pretty much tied Minnesota's hands. If they didn't give him a bloated contract, you know he'd go off to Russia and get paid.
It really didn’t. Offering him 9M x 8 at the opening of negotiations got him this type of money. Look at all of Guerin’s deals; he’s more than fair. This time he was negotiating with one of the biggest d-bag agents in the game and got squeezed as much as he could.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I tuned in a few times last year just to watch the guy play. Kaprizov looked like an elite star player to me. IMO, you pay this type of player 100% of the time and save cap and dollars some place else.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he outperforms this contract.

Reactions: Drewcifer

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would have compared Kaprizov more to Ehlers than Connor.

In what way? Based on what?

I eagerly anticipate your reply showing me that you never actually watched the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad