Post-Game Talk: Mild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Choose 3 Funniest Posts

• Ail

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • will1066

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Circus88

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Brutananadilewski

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Tob

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 2Leetch_94

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Miller and Chytil were good picks and I remain alone on the Isle of Schneider Will Pan Out.
Miller was an excellent pick.

I'm kind of over Chytil but there wasn't anything better around where he was taken.

Yeah, those were fine I guess. It would be nice to have a guy I'm actually really excited about just once but I'll settle for Filip Chytil.

It's fitting that you're alone on an island because so is every opponent Schneider tries to cover.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If a guy is gonna "pan out" it stands to reason that he has to have strengths and weaknesses.

Like, I really like this thing, and he has to clean up these other things, but the thing I like gives him potential. To me, that's what panning out means.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm legitimately requesting: somebody please tell me anything Schneider is good at.

You can put any kid in the NHL that hasn't developed yet and they're gonna look like shit, but if they have talent, you'll see talent.

Give me one strength of Schneider's that makes you think there's a good player in there if he cleans up his act.

He's not even big. 6'3", 208 is an NHL defenseman.

I don't see it.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Miller was an excellent pick.

I'm kind of over Chytil but there wasn't anything better around where he was taken.

Yeah, those were fine I guess. It would be nice to have a guy I'm actually really excited about just once but I'll settle for Filip Chytil.

It's fitting that you're alone on an island because so is every opponent Schneider tries to cover.

If Chytil could stay healthy he'd be a great pick at that point in the draft.

If a guy is gonna "pan out" it stands to reason that he has to have strengths and weaknesses.

Like, I really like this thing, and he has to clean up these other things, but the thing I like gives him potential. To me, that's what panning out means.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm legitimately requesting: somebody please tell me anything Schneider is good at.

You can put any kid in the NHL that hasn't developed yet and they're gonna look like shit, but if they have talent, you'll see talent.

Give me one strength of Schneider's that makes you think there's a good player in there if he cleans up his act.

He's not even big. 6'3", 208 is an NHL defenseman.

I don't see it.

He's a good skater and I think the physical part of his game will work out.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Chytil could stay healthy he'd be a great pick at that point in the draft.
You're not wrong, but like, one time can't we be the team that accidentally takes Kucherov in the second round or Bratt in the sixth round?

The Rangers are actually very good at getting NHL value out of their picks in my lifetime but the most exciting one is Chris Kreider.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
You're not wrong, but like, one time can't we be the team that accidentally takes Kucherov in the second round or Bratt in the sixth round?

The Rangers are actually very good at getting NHL value out of their picks in my lifetime but the most exciting one is Chris Kreider.
Lundquist

It's either/or for this team: They are come out like gang busters or corpses. Never seems to be anything in between.
Same can be said for almost every NHL team.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I don't know.

The more I watch this, the less I think the Rangers are somehow cursed, and the more I think they just suck at building a winner and haven't made a meaningful front office change in almost 25 years.

That makes more sense to me than the hoodoo.
Rangers insist on building a "winner" from the top (unlike everyone else).

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Unfortunately we had one in Buch who we traded so we could sign Barclay Goodrow.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lundquist
Yeah, the most exciting thing in my life as a Rangers fan is a goaltender. I'm sorry if you don't understand this, but that makes me feel worse. And I know a lot of other people feel the same way.

Like I said before, I've grown to understand that people have different perspectives. I don't say shit after the team wins anymore.

I think there should be a bit more understanding as to why some people are not happy. There are valid reasons.

At least just after a bad loss, let people grieve. They have nowhere else to do it with people that follow the team closely enough to understand.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I still think game 11 is too early to make verdicts on this team and its setup. They've been one of the least disciplined and structured teams in the league for a decade now going back to AV. Laviolette is a huge culture change. That they're 8-2-1 here is the best possible scenario IMO, but it shouldn't make anyone forget that if we were say 4-4-3, much of the conversation would be about an adjustment period to the new systems. That period is still there as far as I'm concerned. I think you have to give the players a chance to sort out what works and what doesn't. I'll feel like it's worth trying to judge what this team is closer to January or February, JMHO

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But like, even Buchnevich: yeah he was great. Would have been nice if he stayed. Zuccarello was great. Kreider is great. Zibanejad is a fun player.

They're not Jack Hughes. They're not Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner. They're not Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl. They're not Nikita Kucherov or Steven Stamkos. They're not Elias Pettersson. They're not Jason Robertson. They're not David Pastrnak. They're not Ovechkin, or Crosby, or Malkin, or Barkov, or Stutzle, or MacKinnon, or Rantanen.

You can say these players are rare but IDK, I just named 12 teams and I could easily go on.

Goals win games. Forwards score goals. That's what people want.

Unless you're literally in your f***ing SIXTIES, you've never seen a homegrown, career-Ranger, who was a legitimate superstar play the forward position, and people have every right in the world to be a bit miserable about it.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You guys finally on the wagon about Zib. He's a one-dimensional player and a fraud superstar. Been saying it for a long time and no one believed me. Most of the core are one-dimensional players who do certain things at elite levels, but it takes a couple of high-end players with compete toolboxes to win today's league.
he was different pre-Gallant IMO

or maybe even back to Covid.. he used to forecheck and attack. He uses to shoot.

this play is the culmination of what I want from him.... but he just isn't that guy anymore

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
But like, even Buchnevich: yeah he was great. Would have been nice if he stayed. Zuccarello was great. Kreider is great. Zibanejad is a fun player.

They're not Jack Hughes. They're not Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner. They're not Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl. They're not Nikita Kucherov or Steven Stamkos. They're not Elias Pettersson. They're not Jason Robertson. They're not David Pastrnak. They're not Ovechkin, or Crosby, or Malkin, or Barkov, or Stutzle, or MacKinnon, or Rantanen.

You can say these players are rare but IDK, I just named 12 teams and I could easily go on.

Goals win games. Forwards score goals. That's what people want.

Unless you're literally in your f***ing SIXTIES, you've never seen a homegrown, career-Ranger, who was a legitimate superstar play the forward position, and people have every right in the world to be a bit miserable about it.
Did somebody piss in your coffee this morning?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's the thing that gets me.

They kind of abandoned the rebuild in the summer of 2019. I think it was a combination of Panarin becoming available and "hey, most guys that go 2OA are automatic, so Kakko is another star." I don't blame them for thinking that.

But then like, an elite center became very available and they didn't seem that serious about pursuing it.

The unique set of circumstances disrupting the rebuild and Zibanejad being the 1C at the time, I can totally wrap my head around. When Eichel was the market, they were also presented with an alternative on the short track and well and truly decided that Zibanejad was their guy.

Other than in that Covid year when he started the season with 3 points in 15 games he hasn't been THIS bad 5 on 5 since he broke out in 2019. Either he's just past his prime or he's just struggling this season but when Eichel became available that wasn't the case. Plus Eichel was injured and on a perennial loser. I don't think I blame them for not trading for him. His first year with Vegas he wasn't that great either. This wasn't McDavid becoming available.

Reactions: will1066

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Other than in that Covid year when he started the season with 3 points in 15 games he hasn't been THIS bad 5 on 5 since he broke out in 2019. Either he's just past his prime or he's just struggling this season but when Eichel became available that wasn't the case. Plus Eichel was injured and on a perennial loser. I don't think I blame them for not trading for him. His first year with Vegas he wasn't that great either. This wasn't McDavid becoming available.
This is a fair argument.

And yeah, whatever you think about Zibanejad, he's usually not this bad offensively. That's absolutely correct.

That being said, plenty of people said without the benefit of hindsight that Zibanejad wasn't taking this team where they want to go. That contract really is ugly.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is a fair argument.

And yeah, whatever you think about Zibanejad, he's usually not this bad offensively. That's absolutely correct.

That being said, plenty of people said without the benefit of hindsight that Zibanejad wasn't taking this team where they want to go. That contract really is ugly.

I wonder if this team can only play offense when they're not responsible defensively.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yeah, the most exciting thing in my life as a Rangers fan is a goaltender. I'm sorry if you don't understand this, but that makes me feel worse. And I know a lot of other people feel the same way.

Like I said before, I've grown to understand that people have different perspectives. I don't say shit after the team wins anymore.

I think there should be a bit more understanding as to why some people are not happy. There are valid reasons.

At least just after a bad loss, let people grieve. They have nowhere else to do it with people that follow the team closely enough to understand.

I have no problem with moaning after a loss. It's the extrapolization into absurd generalizations that are nuts to me.

Lose a game and everything about the team sucks is stupid.

Granted, a percentage of every fan base in every sport does exactly that. To me, it's odd, but to some I'm odd, so.......

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This just isn't a helpful comment.

Argue with my point and tell me where I'm wrong instead of just saying "be happy all the time because the team won some games this year."
You got this "woe is me" attitude like they have been bottom feeders the last few years. They had 110 and 107 point seasons and one of those years they made the ECF. They are 8-2-1 so far with a new coach and new system that is still a work in progress, all while playing 8 of 11 on the road to start the season. There has been success with this team lately. Only 1 team wins the cup. They had a bad game last night for a number of reasons and still got a point. They have a good roster with depth down the middle, an elite Dman and an elite goalie. They have a coach who has provided some much needed structure as well. I don't understand all the negativity when the team stands at 8-2-1 and hasn't lost in regulation in over 2 weeks. The next 3-4 weeks are going to be a slog because 2 important players are injured. Buckle up.

Dude, you need to chill, really.
Why? What did I do?

Reactions: Mandar

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wonder if this team can only play offense when they're not responsible defensively.
Yes!

You've found the golden ticket.

And it's because they don't have enough players that are just good enough at offense to score within a structure.

It's actually crazy how bad this forward corps is. You can count the good skaters on one hand and the good passers on one finger.

People say "HAHA the analytics have us down there with the Sharks!!!" as a dig at the analytics.

I mean, nobody is saying analytics are gospel or that we're legitimately as bad as the Sharks, but that should alarm you.

Meanwhile this is what I'm watching for 11 games so when people say "but we won some of them!!!!" it's like "...ok?"

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad