Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You're basically a more sophisticated version of EdJovanovski. He cares about douchebags making dipsy doodle moves at the blueline effective or not and you care about the asthetics of the game. I don't fault you for the asthetics of the game THAT much, this is why I didn't love the 11-12 team as much as I should have. That said to me that's a tie breaker. I'm not watching the Rangers strictly for the art. This is not an oscar nominated movie. The whole point is to win. And that said they've been boring this year but they haven't been outplayed in most cases. At least outside of a few third periods when we had the lead.
See now, Jovanovski just wants to see somebody try the Michigan and he doesn't care if it works. He would be happy if we scored 6 a game, gave up 8, and lost every night.

I still care if it works.

I want people to be afraid of the Rangers. You do have to win some games to accomplish that.

That being said, if they struggled for a bunch of games despite looking good because that's hockey, I wouldn't care. Just make the playoffs.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
See now, Jovanovski just wants to see somebody try the Michigan and he doesn't care if it works. He would be happy if we scored 6 a game, gave up 8, and lost every night.

I still care if it works.

I want people to be afraid of the Rangers. You do have to win some games to accomplish that.

That being said, if they struggled for a bunch of games despite looking good because that's hockey, I wouldn't care. Just make the playoffs.

I don't know about other teams, but reading the boards here a lot of people have much more respect (and in some cases fear) than the average Rangers fan. Canucks fans took their loss to us as a moral victory.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
See, again, I think this is just different perspectives.

We all have a favorite kid, let's be honest. You talk about the Giants a lot. They're important to you. The Giants have won like 12 games since Ryan Callahan was here, so you place value on just being able to win some games.

And you said "but aren't you a Giants fan?"

Yes, but my favorite kid is Liverpool. They've had possession of the ball probably 70% of my fandom and like 95% of the losses are because we didn't finish.

Your expectation now is to make the playoffs and win more games than you've lost. That's a smashing success for the Giants. My expectation is looking good just about every game and having superstars.

I don't just care about how many. I care about how. I watch to enjoy it. I'm not interested in getting outplayed and winning. Getting outplayed is a failure.

Now, hockey is obviously a different beast with a lot more parity, but our rate of producing offense and offensive stars is very bad relative to other hockey teams.

I don't even expect to win the Stanley Cup. That's a lot of luck. I expect to look better than the other team more games than not and have offensive players that scare other teams' fans. Winning ugly doesn't satisfy that goal for me.

Some people on this board are particularly married to the Mets or the Yankees. They're just happy to be alive.
How nervous were you today within minutes of losing to Luton Town?

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I like watching for entertainment. Something to do in the evening after dinner. I’m happy if they win. I don’t expect 60 minutes of perfection. I know there are ups and downs in a game. It’s the very rare win where I think “that was a waste of an evening”. I don’t care f the score on the PP, 5v5 or shorthanded. As long as the end up with more than the other team I’m good.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How nervous were you today within minutes of losing to Luton Town?
Not very because my attitude is that a draw is already a loss.

And I was also mad because we had 3.51 xG in that game, but I'm not that mad at the team because they should have won, I'm more mad at the universe.

I was glad we scored because I got tired of the announcers fellating Luton Town over how spirited and defensively sound they were in conceding 3.51 xG.

I expect Tottenham to fall off because they're the PDO whores of the league right now and should have lost to a team with nine players, and once that happens, we're only three points behind the opponent that matters.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
That's the thing that gets me.

They kind of abandoned the rebuild in the summer of 2019. I think it was a combination of Panarin becoming available and "hey, most guys that go 2OA are automatic, so Kakko is another star." I don't blame them for thinking that.

But then like, an elite center became very available and they didn't seem that serious about pursuing it.

The unique set of circumstances disrupting the rebuild and Zibanejad being the 1C at the time, I can totally wrap my head around. When Eichel was the market, they were also presented with an alternative on the short track and well and truly decided that Zibanejad was their guy.
I think Buffalo (and possibly the NHL) was pretty dead set against trading Eichel to the Rangers. If the Rangers went way over the top in terms of an offer, I’m not saying it wouldn’t have happened. But we all know the rangers never like to rock the boat anyhow.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Remember when Stepan was raked over the coal for his lack of offense? Zibanejad is 100% immune to criticism by Sam and Joe or John and Steve and Henrik. None of the reporters talk about it.

It's pretty much up to Larry to churn our a sassy article at the quarter season mark if Zib still sucks ass.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Schneider can be good carrying the puck in & shooting. Otherwise, no. His decision-making & ability to move the puck quickly just are not there. Every long shift in the Rangers' zone he is on the ice it seems.
Two years ago, the EXACT same things were being said here about K'Andre. I don't think Schneider wil become K'Andre, but I give a much longer leash to young defensemen than young forwards.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Two years ago, the EXACT same things were being said here about K'Andre. I don't think Schneider wil become K'Andre, but I give a much longer leash to young defensemen than young forwards.
Another reason to not throw Zac Jones out the window. We’ve seen how long Kreider and Mika and JT Miller took to hit their stride. Defensemen take even longer. Partly because it’s harder to shelter them. That said, the rangers have been very patient with Miller and Schneider. I think it’s gonna pay off.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I’m dissapointed in Kakko too, but zib and Kreider have one 5v5 point ?!?? If that’s true I mean, there’s not much to say. A change is needed on that line. Zibanejad is just a soft little bitch at the end of the day, not what you want in your #1 center.

Remember when Stepan was raked over the coal for his lack of offense? Zibanejad is 100% immune to criticism by Sam and Joe or John and Steve and Henrik. None of the reporters talk about it.

It's pretty much up to Larry to churn our a sassy article at the quarter season mark if Zib still sucks ass.
And people here don’t rip him enough because he gets spoon fed points by Panarin and Fox on the PP. Beta male, beta personality, should just join Swedish House Mafia at this point

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Tob

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I agree that both players can carry the puck. However, K'Andre to my eyes was always better than Schneider, esp at decision-making & moving the puck in D zone. He's not a genius at it, but he was never as bad as Schneider.

If the coaches are working with Schneider on this, good, but the fact that the MSG broadcast seized on him right away as someone to hype makes me think the Rangers decided immediately, "he's our guy," and the major holes in his game don't matter. This is the team that let Stralman go to keep Girardi & Staal and hired any number of large no-talents at 6D. They don't value what I do in defensemen.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Miller got shitty results his first year while very obviously showing flashes of talent and then he got excellent results his second year. It's a very different case.

Reactions: Lua

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@SnowblindNYR brings up a salient point which is that everyone's third pair sucks.

Here's another problem -- our second pair sucks.

Does it actually suck or does it spend too much time on the ice with our forward corps which definitely sucks?

Reactions: yrrebbor

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
@SnowblindNYR brings up a salient point which is that everyone's third pair sucks.

Here's another problem -- our second pair sucks.

Does it actually suck or does it spend too much time on the ice with our forward corps which definitely sucks?
that 4th line is physically incapable of getting out of the zone. defensemen have no where to go with the puck

they're (4th line, mainly Bonino ) great at defensive positioning/blocking shots but if you can't 'dump it out' like you're on the PK, even strength becomes a problem. They need speed on the flanks if Bonino is going to play.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
that 4th line is physically incapable of getting out of the zone. defensemen have no where to go with the puck

they're (4th line, mainly Bonino ) great at defensive positioning/blocking shots but if you can't 'dump it out' like you're on the PK, even strength becomes a problem. They need speed on the flanks if Bonino is going to play.
Miller and Trouba have a 53% xGF away from Bonino and it's 12% when all three are on the ice together.

That seems good lol.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Sometimes you just have to laugh it off. Rangers played 10 of the 65 minutes, they got what they deserved. Onto the next one.
Many (including myself) would say they didn't even deserve the point, but man if anyone would have suggested that we would be 8-2-1 wth a new coach and new system, and playing 5 more road games than home......we'd have signed up......correct?

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’d figure it’s the same with Fox.
Lindgren and Fox with Bonino (and Bonino is just the best ice time marker, it's not just him in particular) come in at 27%.

However, Lindgren and Fox without Bonino come in at only 45%.

Fox without Lindgren is at 67% and together they're at 42%.

Maybe it's just an absolute nothing coming out of a small sample, but it's something to keep an eye on.

If Lindgren and Fox don't perform well together, get rid of Lindgren yesterday.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
This is crazy how badly playing with the 4th line skews their numbers. Generally that’s to be expected but not to this degree.

So what is the issue, you think? The line's shift starts are predominantly in the defensive zone. Goodrow and Bonino have faceoff percentages well over 50%. Vesey's is 0%. Either he's not taken a single faceoff or he's not won a single one. The line also gets the 3rd defense pair mostly, I believe.

I think it's a combination of their slowness + whatever D pair happens to be on the ice with them decides to mess up at that time. They win the puck off the draw, work it back to the D but either the D f***s things up or the D cannot move the puck effectively to them because their pinned or the D moves the puck to them but they're already hemmed in or all of the above.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We were simply outplayed. Sucks to blow a three-goal lead, but we were really outplayed for 45 minutes. I'll take the point. Just regroup and keep the momentum going.

It's going to take a while to get used to life without Fox and Chytil, for that matter.
By the time they "get used to it" Filip will be back. It's not exactly like he was setting the world afire. This team can easily stay afloat even w/o Foxy. When an injury occurs to a player of that caliber, is WHEN you really find out things about your team. There should be NO excuses, and everyone needs to step it up a notch. Simple. Show that this team is tough. Supporting Fox against Aho, was great to see for ONE game. Now, really be tough, mentally strong and play well w/o him.

Reactions: CLW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad