Post-Game Talk: Mild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Choose 3 Funniest Posts

• Ail

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • will1066

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Circus88

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Brutananadilewski

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Tob

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 2Leetch_94

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Yeah, but people really looked down on him.

Honestly, for a team that struggles to generate anything 5v5, removing Strome wasn't all that helpful.
Yeah but we weren't winning anything while he here. He was the leader of the free-lance parade, who also made it clear he didn't like being coached up.

Plus signing him to any type of multi-year deal was a complete non starter.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's gonna start happening more and more when we start playing quality teams. Our schedule has been really soft so far.

I like the way they've defended and I like what Laviolette is doing with the hand he was dealt, but you can't sustain limiting quality when you don't have the puck.

We've seen "keep it to the outside" Rangers teams fail before. Against the Devils, too! That's gonna be fun the third time.

Wait until it happens before saying it then.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah but we weren't winning anything while he here. He was the leader of the free-lance parade, who also made it clear he didn't like being coached up.

Plus signing him to any type of multi-year deal was a complete non starter.
I mean, sure. I wouldn't hang my hat on him long-term. Then again, I wouldn't have hung my hat on Zibanejad long-term, but here we are.

I kind of get he free-lance thing because sometimes Panarin is annoying and Strome was always very annoying. That being said, the team's main downfall is that they don't generate enough offense and somehow everyone seemed to get this idea in their heads that they would generate more offense if they grinded more.

We've been gaslit by this team for 30, maybe 40 years depending on how long you've been doing it. Have zero offensive stars and then say you weren't tough enough to win. It's Rangers hockey.

Right now, we are grinding more. With the exception of last night which was just a tape burning, every game has been a mudshow. I get it, and I would have done the same thing in Lavi's shoes, but lo and behold, it's just turning into a different flavor of the same house of cards.

And plenty of people are still complaining that we're just not getting to the dirty areas!

Sorry, but we're just not good at offense. We're not good at because the forward corps is ass and has a dearth of talent.

Yeah, we have Panarin and Kreider. That does not a good forward group make. Jesper Bratt has like 50 points already and he's leaps and bounds from being NJ's best forward. That's what the difference is. After Panarin and Kreider, our next best forward is....honestly, not even worth figuring out.
Wait until it happens before saying it then.
No.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I mean, sure. I wouldn't hang my hat on him long-term. Then again, I wouldn't have hung my hat on Zibanejad long-term, but here we are.

I kind of get he free-lance thing because sometimes Panarin is annoying and Strome was always very annoying. That being said, the team's main downfall is that they don't generate enough offense and somehow everyone seemed to get this idea in their heads that they would generate more offense if they grinded more.

We've been gaslit by this team for 30, maybe 40 years depending on how long you've been doing it. Have zero offensive stars and then say you weren't tough enough to win. It's Rangers hockey.

Right now, we are grinding more. With the exception of last night which was just a tape burning, every game has been a mudshow. I get it, and I would have done the same thing in Lavi's shoes, but lo and behold, it's just turning into a different flavor of the same house of cards.

And plenty of people are still complaining that we're just not getting to the dirty areas!

Sorry, but we're just not good at offense. We're not good at because the forward corps is ass and has a dearth of talent.

Yeah, we have Panarin and Kreider. That does not a good forward group make. Jesper Bratt has like 50 points already and he's leaps and bounds from being NJ's best forward. That's what the difference is. After Panarin and Kreider, our next best forward is....honestly, not even worth figuring out.

No.
Good post. Gallant was a bit of knuckle dragger & he clearly needed more structure, but coaching isn't putting this team over top until this roster is significantly overhauled. Here we are still the worst skating team, Power Play dependent & soft as baby shit.

And I hated Mika's deal the moment it was signed.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Good post. Gallant was a bit of knuckle dragger & he clearly needed more structure, but coaching isn't putting this team over top until this roster is significantly overhauled. Here we are still the worst skating team, Power Play dependent & soft as baby shit.

And I hated Mika's deal the moment it was signed.
I hate to single people out (unless it's Neal Pionk!) but Zibanejad is really turning into the poster child for why this isn't good enough.

Panarin, Kreider, and Fox are good enough.

They're missing a true elite center and probably another top line forward. The latter is on the procession line of the young forwards who are mediocre at best and busts at worst, when all we really needed was one of them to hit. The former is on hitching the wagon to probably the 20th best center in the league.

Going forward with Zibanejad as THE center was contingent on Lafreniere and Kakko really hitting and having an embarrassment of riches at wing. That didn't happen.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I hate to single people out (unless it's Neal Pionk!) but Zibanejad is really turning into the poster child for why this isn't good enough.

They're missing a true elite center and probably another top line forward. The latter is on the procession line of the young forwards who are mediocre at best and busts at worst, when all we really needed was one of them to hit. The former is on hitching the wagon to probably the 20th best center in the league.

Going forward with Zibanejad as THE center was contingent on Lafreniere and Kakko really hitting and having an embarrassment of riches at wing. That didn't happen.
have been saying this for a long time, which is why I wanted Eichel so badly. Zibanejad isn’t good enough to lead a line and like you said we dont have the embarrassment of riches at wing to make up for it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
have been saying this for a long time, which is why I wanted Eichel so badly. Zibanejad isn’t good enough to lead a line and like you said we dont have the embarrassment of riches at wing to make up for it.
That's the thing that gets me.

They kind of abandoned the rebuild in the summer of 2019. I think it was a combination of Panarin becoming available and "hey, most guys that go 2OA are automatic, so Kakko is another star." I don't blame them for thinking that.

But then like, an elite center became very available and they didn't seem that serious about pursuing it.

The unique set of circumstances disrupting the rebuild and Zibanejad being the 1C at the time, I can totally wrap my head around. When Eichel was the market, they were also presented with an alternative on the short track and well and truly decided that Zibanejad was their guy.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I was leading the charge that Panarin was the poster child, but I give him credit for being honest with himself & realizing his play wasn't good enough the past few playoffs. He's attacking again & backchecking hard...he's darting into the slot & he's thinking shot a lot more than he had been. Hard to ask more from the guy at this point, but he also needs to play the same way when it counts in April.

He wasn't the only one who needed to look into the mirror, however. Zib has been a ghost 5v5 since Covid cancelled the season. He just looks lost with the puck on his stick. He's passing up shots in prime scoring territory & all he seems to fixate on is his one timer. He's playing like 38 year old Ovie with a less accurate shot. He also needs to be called out for how unwilling he is to engage physically & how overrated of a PKer he is.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
That's the thing that gets me.

They kind of abandoned the rebuild in the summer of 2019. I think it was a combination of Panarin becoming available and "hey, most guys that go 2OA are automatic, so Kakko is another star." I don't blame them for thinking that.

But then like, an elite center became very available and they didn't seem that serious about pursuing it.

The unique set of circumstances disrupting the rebuild and Zibanejad being the 1C at the time, I can totally wrap my head around. When Eichel was the market, they were also presented with an alternative on the short track and well and truly decided that Zibanejad was their guy.
Has a GM ever had a worse off-season than the first Drury one?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think Buffalo’s owner would have never approved an Eichel trade here

But if Drury had made an offer that was too good to be true, I’m sure Eichel’s surgery would have failed and he’d never play again lol

Reactions: Slaydagnar

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's the thing: Zibanejad is a good player it could work in a different context.

And I'm not even saying there needs to be a better center or the lineup needs to be Team Canada at wing.

It just needs to be a good forward corps with depth. Our depth of speed and skill is non-existent. We're *really* relying on Zibanejad to carry a lineup like Backstrom helped Ovechkin carry the mid ass 2018 Caps, and he's not that guy.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, I blame St. Louis. Unironically.

That garbage ass roster winning the Cup for literally no reason other than the universe just deciding it was time for the 14th best team to win the Cup made a lot of front offices think they could take shortcuts because it wasn't that hard.

Yeah, they had good analytics, but like, winning the Cup is hard (usually). You generally need a good system that produces puck possession AND a lot of firepower in terms of big name players.

They had no firepower. Sorry, but Vladimir Tarasenko has never been a superstar. He's a 70 point player.

It'll be a generation before a roster that bland wins another one.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Also, I blame St. Louis. Unironically.

That garbage ass roster winning the Cup for literally no reason other than the universe just deciding it was time for the 14th best team to win the Cup made a lot of front offices think they could take shortcuts because it wasn't that hard.

Yeah, they had good analytics, but like, winning the Cup is hard (usually). You generally need a good system that produces puck possession AND a lot of firepower in terms of big name players.

They had no firepower. Sorry, but Vladimir Tarasenko has never been a superstar. He's a 70 point player.

It'll be a generation before a roster that bland wins another one.
Vegas just did it last summer

Reactions: TheDirtyH

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They have that record despite not being able to score in a Bangkok whorehouse at even strength, and people have been watching that shit with varying W-L records since......

1997??

People are just tired of the 40 saves, powerplay goal, win 2-1 routine. I really get it.

I also get that a lot of people just enjoy wins and don't care, which is why I pretty much only rant after losses now.
Bunch of bull. They have had 2 bad games, those being last night and against Nashville. They haven't scored a lot but they also haven't given up a lot of shots and high quality opportunities game after game. I like the defensive structure. I would rather win 2-1 than lose 5-4.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That’s where you lose me. As ass as Gorton/JD was and still is, nothing was a heinous as the 1st Drury summer. Buch trade + Zib over Eichel + overpaying a bunch of traffic cones. Just doesn’t get worse
I guess, but at that point, the ship had kind of sailed on the direction we were heading.

I would have gotten Eichel *also* but they weren't getting rid of Zibanejad.

Rebuilding is easy in the internet. In the real world, your bosses get mad when you start yeeting good players without warning.

Drury did a really shitty job with the mess he had but I still think Gorton made the mess. Our outlook is totally different if Gorton drafted even one good forward.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I always liked Stone, I just think his defense (like a lot of stars) is just a tad bit overstated.

Like, he's still literally better at offense than he is at defense.
I can't say one is better than the other, but I do think he's way better defensively than you give him credit for.

Where he's really underrated is his swagger. He f***ing hates losing & you can tell its contagious with his teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad