Post-Game Talk: Mild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Choose 3 Funniest Posts

• Ail

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • will1066

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Circus88

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Brutananadilewski

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Tob

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 2Leetch_94

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
I don’t know if I made it obvious…. I really really hate Mika’s game right now

He needs some desperate 1 on 1 coaching

And let’s hire a sports psychologist for Kakko
I agree. Take away his dumb one timer on the pp and this is who we get. A slightly better rick nash. Instead of harping on kk or al, how about this guy who wears the A. Has one gear only.

Reactions: Kravtsov420

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I just don't like Trochek. I will root for him to do well and have a Matteau moment, lead the team to victory and all of course. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

And I'm not talking about his singing on the bench jumping around like a kid on a sugar high personality.

He just does dumb things on the ice all the time and never learns. He's almost as bad with the unnecessary slashing penalties as Sean Avery was with the offsides.
Trocheck is a solid 2/3C. He battles, is good on faceoffs, and he did put up 64 points last year.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
It doesn't really matter, and this is way more a comment on the boards than a comment on the player, but every two seconds somebody comments on Cuylle being moved up.

If not for the Canes goal, you literally could have convinced me we sent him down after the Columbus game. That's how much I've noticed him.

I think we're just looking for something to not be sad about.
Then you arent watching the games. Gits, hustle every single shift

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Then you arent watching the games. Gits, hustle every single shift
I never said he doesn't try but he also doesn't really do anything.

Lafreniere hits and hustles and gets a lot of criticism. What's the difference?

The difference is that Cuylle is new and the copium is fresh.

To me, he looks like another young player that's going to plug a hole in the lineup without having a real impact.

Which is fine. Where he was picked; he's an NHL player. That's great. That being said, I don't really understand the burning desire to move him up in the lineup. I don't want to move anyone up. At 5v5, I pretty much hate this entire forward corps outside of Panarin and Kreider.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just once, I want to sit here and talk about how much one of our young players is scoring, instead of arguing about whatever vague concept of impact we opine that the player is having.

Remember when Adam Fox had 42 points playing 18:54 a game mostly with PP2 time? Remember when Henrik Lundqvist was a Vezina finalist as a rookie? Maybe before I'm dead a forward will perform like that for us.

And again, it doesn't have a ton to do with Will Cuylle. It has more to do with how impressed people are by a 3rd/4th line tweener. That kind of tells you where we're at. "Wow, one of our guys can play in the NHL and not shit his pants!"

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I feel like this narrative is based on nothing other than Panarin once led the league in 5v5 points and Jesper Fast just happened to be there
Facts!

Outside of that one year when he was with Fast, who is pretty good, and Ryan Strome who is VERY f***ing good at 5v5 offense and like, not a grinder at all ( :help: ), Panarin has always had more success with skilled players who can actually play somewhere near his level.

The "do the dirty work" narrative doesn't really apply to Panarin because there's no dirty work to do. When he has the puck, we're doing the cross-ice thing and he almost never puts the puck along the boards.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If the underlying data isn’t looking rosy for Cuylle so far I have to imagine that his linemates share plenty of the blame

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If the underlying data isn’t looking rosy for Cuylle so far I have to imagine that his linemates share plenty of the blame
I wouldn't say that it's unrosy. It's just kinda there. He's just there.

I'm fine with that. I just don't get those moments in the GDT where every other post is "TIME TO MOVE CUYLLE UPP!!!"

I mean, sure, I guess, if you're doing it from a "this all sucks try anything" standpoint, but he's not having more impact than the players ahead of him.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t get the negativity given our record.
They have that record despite not being able to score in a Bangkok whorehouse at even strength, and people have been watching that shit with varying W-L records since......

1997??

People are just tired of the 40 saves, powerplay goal, win 2-1 routine. I really get it.

I also get that a lot of people just enjoy wins and don't care, which is why I pretty much only rant after losses now.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I feel like this narrative is based on nothing other than Panarin once led the league in 5v5 points and Jesper Fast just happened to be there

Facts!

Outside of that one year when he was with Fast, who is pretty good, and Ryan Strome who is VERY f***ing good at 5v5 offense and like, not a grinder at all ( :help: ), Panarin has always had more success with skilled players who can actually play somewhere near his level.

The "do the dirty work" narrative doesn't really apply to Panarin because there's no dirty work to do. When he has the puck, we're doing the cross-ice thing and he almost never puts the puck along the boards.
It was a bit tongue in cheek & a dig at our 1OA 3rd line grinder. I simply forgot to attach an emoji.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It was a bit tongue in cheek & a dig at our 1OA 3rd line grinder. I simply forgot to attach an emoji.
People do say it tho!!

I don't even think that narrative came from Fast. I think it came from Strome.

People had the idea in their heads that this guy just wasn't on Panarin's level and that's where the wheels started turning on the narrative of Panarin playing well with lesser.

The thing is, though, Ryan Strome is a highly skilled offense-first player.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
People do say it tho!!

I don't even think that narrative came from Fast. I think it came from Strome.

People had the idea in their heads that this guy just wasn't on Panarin's level and that's where the wheels started turning on the narrative of Panarin playing well with lesser.

The thing is, though, Ryan Strome is a highly skilled offense-first player.
Honestly if I was being serious, my bias would've come from the Fast example.

Yet another Gorton A+ move we can look back at in disgust by not giving him the 3rd year. At $2M AAV no less. People say we've been placating Panarin, which is probably true, but the easiest thing in the world to keep him happy would've been to keep Fast after Panarin almost won the Hart with him on RW. Can we fire him again?

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Honestly if I was being serious, my bias would've come from the Fast example.

Yet another Gorton A+ move we can look back at in disgust by not giving him the 3rd year. At $2M AAV no less. People say we've been placating Panarin, which is probably true, but the easiest thing in the world to keep him happy would've been to keep Fast after Panarin almost won the Hart with him on RW. Can we fire him again?
The more time passes, the more Gorton's tenure looks like a f***ing torpedo.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

This is a classic.

Replace Ed Kranepool with Chris Kreider and it's word for word the same rant.

That's why some folks are in a bad mood a lot of the time.

Reactions: 80s Kid

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Facts!

If you look at the best lines Panarin has been on in his career in terms of playdriving they usually have someone on his line who was a good forechecker/puck retriever with enough skill to keep up. Fast is a perfect example of that, but also a guy like Cam Atkinson who he had a lot of success with in Columbus. It makes sense that if you have someone who is really good at not only retrieving pucks on the forecheck but also keeping plays alive when Panarin is in the offensive zone that leads to a tremendous amount of success. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that once he left Kane he became one of the better play drivers in the NHL.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you look at the best lines Panarin has been on in his career in terms of playdriving they usually have someone on his line who was a good forechecker/puck retriever with enough skill to keep up. Fast is a perfect example of that, but also a guy like Cam Atkinson who he had a lot of success with in Columbus. It makes sense that if you have someone who is really good at not only retrieving pucks on the forecheck but also keeping plays alive when Panarin is in the offensive zone that leads to a tremendous amount of success. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that once he left Kane he became one of the better play drivers in the NHL.
Fast was really underrated at making little plays to keep possessions alive and disrupting the first attempt at an exit.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
They have that record despite not being able to score in a Bangkok whorehouse at even strength, and people have been watching that shit with varying W-L records since......

1997??

People are just tired of the 40 saves, powerplay goal, win 2-1 routine. I really get it.

I also get that a lot of people just enjoy wins and don't care, which is why I pretty much only rant after losses now.

What 40 saves? Outside of yesterday's game we've been one of the best teams at limiting shots against. I think we might have had 1 game we even allowed 30.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What 40 saves? Outside of yesterday's game we've been one of the best teams at limiting shots against. I think we might have had 1 game we even allowed 30.
It's gonna start happening more and more when we start playing quality teams. Our schedule has been really soft so far.

I like the way they've defended and I like what Laviolette is doing with the hand he was dealt, but you can't sustain limiting quality when you don't have the puck.

We've seen "keep it to the outside" Rangers teams fail before. Against the Devils, too! That's gonna be fun the third time.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I mean as I recall Strome was drafted before Zibanejad, was always considered a skill player

You didn’t see him in the corners or crashing the net often that’s for sure

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean as I recall Strome was drafted before Zibanejad, was always considered a skill player
Yeah, but people really looked down on him.

Honestly, for a team that struggles to generate anything 5v5, removing Strome wasn't all that helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad