Value of: McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Bruh it’s not just better than McDavid (who’s 4th all time btw), it’s better than every single active player in the NHL, including VASTIY better than every single Vegas player.

Your opinion here is one of the more ridiculous I’ve ever heard.

Well, everything sounds ridiculous to a fool, and watching Vegas repeatedly shut down McDrai has been a real, actual treat as opposed to your statistically musings that are good for fantasy hockey but little else. You'll let me know if either one of them ever hoists the Cup, I presume.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
There is no doubt that the Oilers need to make some serious decisions about the current team. I don't think they entertain the idea of trading McDavid though. There is more to it than just hockey. He is their brand and generates millions of dollars for the Franchise without even setting foot on the ice. If they ever did trade McDavid it'll be the trade deadline before he walks into free agency after they exhausted all efforts to extend him.

The more realistic option is trading Draisaitl. It's the scenario I think is actually already being discussed behind closed doors in EDM. They can't have one walk into UFA and then do it all over again with the other. I'm not sure a deal like that gets done in-season, but I will be shocked if both are on the same team to start next season. I think Draisaitl is the player getting traded.

Reactions: Heldig

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well, everything sounds ridiculous to a fool, and watching Vegas repeatedly shut down McDrai has been a real, actual treat as opposed to your statistically musings that are good for fantasy hockey but little else. You'll let me know if either one of them ever hoists the Cup, I presume.
Both of them have 24pts in 18 games against Vegas IIRC… weird way to “shut them down”

Vegas sure as hell could have used them when they missed the postseason entirely two years ago.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
RW Lucas Raymond, C Joe Veleno, LHD Simon Edvinsson, Nate Danielson, Marco Kasper, 3 consecutive 1st round draft picks.

2 NHL roster players, 3 upper prospects, 3 1st round picks.

Honestly, he'd go for more prolyl if ever available. If he was available, he'd likely be choosing where he goes based on who he'd even "resign" with. Like legitimately some teams don't even have a shot in spite of whatever they offer. (Jets, coyotes, wild, blue jackets, etc) I'd expect him to go to NYR honestly. It'd be the best for off-ice success and exposure if he could handle the media. (I think he could).

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There is no doubt that the Oilers need to make some serious decisions about the current team. I don't think they entertain the idea of trading McDavid though. There is more to it than just hockey. He is their brand and generates millions of dollars for the Franchise without even setting foot on the ice. If they ever did trade McDavid it'll be the trade deadline before he walks into free agency after they exhausted all efforts to extend him.

The more realistic option is trading Draisaitl. It's the scenario I think is actually already being discussed behind closed doors in EDM. They can't have one walk into UFA and then do it all over again with the other. I'm not sure a deal like that gets done in-season, but I will be shocked if both are on the same team to start next season. I think Draisaitl is the player getting traded.
Agreed.

Keep McDavid and trade Draisatl.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i am not sure why you think the oilers are in control and deciding things here. the oilers have had years to think about the decisions they need to win mcdavid a cup. they have chosen to avoid all hard decisions and rely on mcdavid's talent to cover for their dithering. they can't even bring themselves to use 1st rounders to acquire a decent goalie when in cup or bust mode. you think they can pull off a mid-season draisaitl trade that saves the season, redefines the team into a contender and avoids a trade demand from mcdavid?

because i think it's not going to be their decision and they won't get to consider their options. mcdavid can surely see that this team is never going to be a contender. he will therefore demand a trade at the end of the season and give them a list of teams he will go to. if they refuse he will sit out until they move him.

they will then have to move quickly to deal him and market whatever comes back because it is a franchise killing moment and they will not sell many season tickets until it is done.

they may belatedly offer to trade draisaitl to convince mcdavid to stay but trading draisaitl is not going to return the assets needed to fix the oilers. more likely they will try hard to retain draisaitl because losing both will make them look even more pathetic.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
McDavid is someone I'd love to have. I'd rather have had him from his draft day of course, but if he was available I'd still be calling if I were a GM.

I can give you a whole third line of Beauvillier, Garland and Suter/Blueger as cap, along with the actual value portion...which I don't know, this year's 1st, next year's 2nd, this year's 3rd and a conditional 1st with a low bar to clear (Vancouver making the finals once in any of the 3 years). As for prospects, what does Edmonton need? Wing? Lekkerimaki, Podkolzin, Klimovich, Karlsson, Bains, Alriksson. Center? Raty, Glover, Sasson, Kunz, Gardiner. Defence? Brzustewich, Willander, Celebrini, Hirose, McWard, Pettersson, Woo. Goalies? Silovs, Young, Tolopilo, Sawyer, Koskenvuo, Theissen.

Yes, it will be a series of dimes for a dollar kind of trade, simply due to the cap constraints.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Why would they? The Oilers are in no position to dictate terms. If anything, they're in the position of being dictated to.
Lmao what. McD is still the best NHL player and teams know it. There would be 31 teams bidding up the price.

McDavid is someone I'd love to have. I'd rather have had him from his draft day of course, but if he was available I'd still be calling if I were a GM.

I can give you a whole third line of Beauvillier, Garland and Suter/Blueger as cap, along with the actual value portion...which I don't know, this year's 1st, next year's 2nd, this year's 3rd and a conditional 1st with a low bar to clear (Vancouver making the finals once in any of the 3 years). As for prospects, what does Edmonton need? Wing? Lekkerimaki, Podkolzin, Klimovich, Karlsson, Bains, Alriksson. Center? Raty, Glover, Sasson, Kunz, Gardiner. Defence? Brzustewich, Willander, Celebrini, Hirose, McWard, Pettersson, Woo. Goalies? Silovs, Young, Tolopilo, Sawyer, Koskenvuo, Theissen.

Yes, it will be a series of dimes for a dollar kind of trade, simply due to the cap constraints.
We don’t want that 3rd line. We want your 1st line and you can use 3rd teams to sort out the extra cap

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Lmao what. McD is still the best NHL player and teams know it. There would be 31 teams bidding up the price.
Not really, the true contenders will not want to gut their depth and chemistry for a single player, so that is 8 to 10 teams not bidding. Then there are teams that McDavid would not waive for, so that's probably another 15 teams.

Reactions: AndreRoy

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Only scenario where Edmonton trades him is if 2026 trade deadline Oilers are on bottom of the league and he has convinced the team he is not gonna sign contract extension.

He is worth of gold marketing wise I'm not sure if Oilers could match on that even by building a real champion which would be very unlikely

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
RW Lucas Raymond, C Joe Veleno, LHD Simon Edvinsson, Nate Danielson, Marco Kasper, 3 consecutive 1st round draft picks.

2 NHL roster players, 3 upper prospects, 3 1st round picks.

Honestly, he'd go for more prolyl if ever available. If he was available, he'd likely be choosing where he goes based on who he'd even "resign" with. Like legitimately some teams don't even have a shot in spite of whatever they offer. (Jets, coyotes, wild, blue jackets, etc) I'd expect him to go to NYR honestly. It'd be the best for off-ice success and exposure if he could handle the media. (I think he could).
Any Detroit offer would have to start with Moritz Seider for Edmonton to take it seriously. 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♀️

I think you would want McDavid to play with Matthews.

It would have to be Marner, with a 1st and a nice prospect I think.
Marner has a NMC. Why would he want to play in Edmonton?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I can see why you find that proposal laughable. I made a few posts in the last "Trade McDavid" thread that highlighted some of the issues I think this poster was getting at:

- Edmonton will have to take money back in a trade.
- The acquiring team has to think they can win a cup over the next three years or they can resign McDavid
- The acquiring team has to feel they can win without giving up too many assets in the deal
- Anyone moved back to Edmonton has to not have a NTC or partial NTC

Show me a deal that works with all of the above. I am not saying this proposal was good, I am saying this is very tricky...even moreso as an in-season move.

Every half-way decent player in the league has some kind of trade protection.

It’s at the point where it doesn’t really matter. If a team wants to trade you, they will get you to waive

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I think you would want McDavid to play with Matthews.

It would have to be Marner, with a 1st and a nice prospect I think.
Take your pick - McDavid Matthews Tavares as your center depth is nutty

Realistically none of this happens as both Matthews/Marner have NMC and will never waive for Edm

Last edited:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Any Detroit offer would have to start with Moritz Seider for Edmonton to take it seriously. 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♀️

Marner has a NMC. Why would he want to play in Edmonton?

I’m repeating myself, but who doesn’t have a NMC? McDavid also has a NMC

Who cares? Players will waive them. You think Marner wants to be bugged by the GM, media, fans, president, etc al day asking why he won’t agree to be traded?

Look at what they did to Sundin, who ended up not waiving obviously. But my point remains.

Everyone has a NTC who is half way decent in the league. They’re pretty much just an ‘ask me first, k?’ Clause

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Not really, the true contenders will not want to gut their depth and chemistry for a single player, so that is 8 to 10 teams not bidding. Then there are teams that McDavid would not waive for, so that's probably another 15 teams.
If McDavid is available. Those 8-10 teams are calling. It’s not your average everyday player. It’s a guy who can make that business a ton of money and also bring the “goods”.

If Edmonton had a great/ good team around him, they’d be excellent. A true contender would excel with him

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
If McDavid is available. Those 8-10 teams are calling. It’s not your average everyday player. It’s a guy who can make that business a ton of money and also bring the “goods”.

If Edmonton had a great/ good team around him, they’d be excellent. A true contender would excel with him

They're probably not calling. Take Tampa, for instance, which just doesn't have the cap space and will struggle just to re-sign Stamkos. Boston isn't blowing up their defense for him. Vegas wouldn't offer because they are built as a depth team. And etc. & etc. for most of the other true contenders.

Katz will probably offer McDavid around $18-$20Mx8 to hang around, so whoever bids for McDavid is going to have to pay in that range. Even with the cap increase, that would gut a lot of teams that are already good now.

But I agree that McDavid will probably land with a team that needs an attraction to fill the stadium. Also, it would have to be a team that McDavid would waive for, which cuts out about half the teams (Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, Phoenix, etc., need not apply). It would be a team like Anaheim which can carve out the space, needs the attraction, and McDavid could sail his boat around Newport Beach harbor when he's not out golfing. Flyers and Isles probably also in the mix because they are in large metro areas.

Reactions: AndreRoy

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Every half-way decent player in the league has some kind of trade protection.

It’s at the point where it doesn’t really matter. If a team wants to trade you, they will get you to waive
I don't think so. Do we know of any other examples of a person waiving that right?

Reactions: VivaLasVegas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad