Value of: McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Point was if im the devils I dont move Hughes in a McDavid deal. And he is the only piece I would have off limits before the “you cant have untouchables in a McDavid trade” spiel
i agree generally with not moving younger very good players like hughes and makar as part of a package. they are forces of nature in and of themselves and the incremental uptick from mcdavid is not enough to lose them and other assets.

but if you get the chance for a straight swap you perhaps do it. the only player in the league i can think of who you don't consider trading straight up would be bedard. there are reasons why you pass but you think about it.

realistically though the oilers won't do a straight swap because the expectations on the player coming in would be impossible and they would be seen to lose the trade immediately.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
That is an awful team.
Forgot Parsinnen, hol up

Forsberg- McDavid- Nyquist
Novak-ROR-Parsinnen
Trenin-Glass-Sherwood
Smith-Sissons-Foudy

Thats a pretty good line up...at least as good as the Leafs

1 generational player
1 solid PPGish fwd (forsberg)
3 50-70 pt guys (ROR, Nyquist , Novak)
2 30-40 pt Middle Six guys (Sissons, Sherwood)
1 potential 40-50 pt young guy (Parsinnen)
2 Elite bottom 6 guys (trenin, Smith)
2 trash pieces : Foudy and Glass

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I doubt Minnesota violently guts themselves for 1 and 1/2 years of Leon

I just saw Campbell is there too jesus, how much value do you think he has?
he has negative value however Drai is a top 5 player, you gotta pay to play!

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
What?

Would you rather McDavid or Eichel and $2M in cap space ?
You can apply any hypothetical scenario of your choosing but the rest of us live in the real world where your team's record speaks for itself; and throwing away a year by game 15/82 is a waste of assets, time, money and potential.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada

Draisatl is a top 5 scorer but is a defensive liability so probably no true contender will be interested in him. Also, let's just say his attitude is at best questionable. But even if somebody wanted Draisatl, just wait a year and he'll be UFA and then you don't have to give any assets for him other than cap space. The Oilers can't do much about that unless Leon waives, and Leon probably will not waive unless he gets Matthews-ish compensation ~$15M and goes to someplace he considers pleasant.

• Haha
Reactions: EquivalentStay

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You can apply any hypothetical scenario of your choosing but the rest of us live in the real world where your team's record speaks for itself; and throwing away a year by game 15/82 is a waste of assets, time, money and potential.
It’s a very simple question.

McDavid or Eichel and $2M?

Also what part of “nbwingsfan” screams “Edmonton fan” to you?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
i agree generally with not moving younger very good players like hughes and makar as part of a package. they are forces of nature in and of themselves and the incremental uptick from mcdavid is not enough to lose them and other assets.

but if you get the chance for a straight swap you perhaps do it. the only player in the league i can think of who you don't consider trading straight up would be bedard. there are reasons why you pass but you think about it.

realistically though the oilers won't do a straight swap because the expectations on the player coming in would be impossible and they would be seen to lose the trade immediately.
As a neutral party I am very confident New Jersey does not make that swap. Just look at their contracts. Hughes is making $8 million until 2030 and looks to be a 100+ point player already at the very least.

Needlessly swapping him for McDavid with the uncertainty of him re-signing would be foolish IMO.

I think if McDavid ever got traded it would not be a superstar swap, it would be a very large amount of futures. Like the Eichel trade in a much larger proportion

I just dont see them moving multiple young core pieces for potentially just 1 and 1/2 years of him. Boldy is the piece that stood out. You dont trade young players you just signed for 8 years.

It would be a very large futures package (Headlined by Wallstedt/Faber like you suggested)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
in terms of a trade it will be close to Eichel…..

1st, decent not top 5 prospect, another prospect/2nd that becomes a 1st, and w decent roster players that are close to $9M+ combined salary or players are due one in the summer.

It won't be close to what Buffalo got for EIchel. He isn't in the same stratosphere as McDavid.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'll give it a try from Boston

Swayman
Poitras
DeBrusk (assuming re-signs something like 6x6)
Lohrei

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I assume that if Edmonton is going to trade McDavid, they will want picks/prospects and do a rebuild rather than try to continue to compete.

Here is my pitch from the Winnipeg Jets:

1. Cole Perfetti (10 OA pick, 21 years old winger/centre, on a breakout campaign this year: 15 points in 18 games)

2. Ville Heinola (20 OA pick, 22 LHD, earned roster spot but sustained an injury - slick offensive defenceman)

3. Brad Lambert (30 OA pick - 19 year old Centre, was at one point projected as 5 OA, game has recovered, currently a PPG player with AHL

4. Chaz Lucius (18 OA pick, 20 years old Centre, 2nd year in AHL; good production)

5. 2024 1st round pick (top 5 protected)

This proposal is clearing out a lot of our prospect pool... 5 first round picks. Thoughts? Reasonable counter-proposals?

This is an offseason proposal and with some assurance that McDavid would consider signing long-term. We could fit his $12.5M in our cap next year (cap goes up about $5M + not resigning Dillon $3.9M and Niederreiter $4M... extra space also with a Schmidt buy-out)

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Draisatl is a top 5 scorer but is a defensive liability so probably no true contender will be interested in him. Also, let's just say his attitude is at best questionable. But even if somebody wanted Draisatl, just wait a year and he'll be UFA and then you don't have to give any assets for him other than cap space. The Oilers can't do much about that unless Leon waives, and Leon probably will not waive unless he gets Matthews-ish compensation ~$15M and goes to someplace he considers pleasant.
Did you say no contender would want a 110+pt Hart trophy winner? A guy who’s been nothing but a BEAST in the post season? Beyond ridiculous.

The guy is third ALL TIME in ppg during the post season for Christ sakes

I assume that if Edmonton is going to trade McDavid, they will want picks/prospects and do a rebuild rather than try to continue to compete.

Here is my pitch from the Winnipeg Jets:

1. Cole Perfetti (10 OA pick, 21 years old winger/centre, on a breakout campaign this year: 15 points in 18 games)

2. Ville Heinola (20 OA pick, 22 LHD, earned roster spot but sustained an injury - slick offensive defenceman)

3. Brad Lambert (30 OA pick - 19 year old Centre, was at one point projected as 5 OA, game has recovered, currently a PPG player with AHL

4. Chaz Lucius (18 OA pick, 20 years old Centre, 2nd year in AHL; good production)

5. 2024 1st round pick (top 5 protected)

This proposal is clearing out a lot of our prospect pool... 5 first round picks. Thoughts? Reasonable counter-proposals?

This is an offseason proposal and with some assurance that McDavid would consider signing long-term. We could fit his $12.5M in our cap next year (cap goes up about $5M + not resigning Dillon $3.9M and Niederreiter $4M... extra space also with a Schmidt buy-out)
Offering someone better than Heinola or adding another 1st makes this a fairly decent offer IMO

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Did you say no contender would want a 110+pt Hart trophy winner? A guy who’s been nothing but a BEAST in the post season? Beyond ridiculous.

The guy is third ALL TIME in ppg during the post season for Christ sakes

Yeah, and Leon's defense totally sucks, including in the playoffs. What is his +/-?. Vegas wouldn't take Draisatl unless they knew they could flip him 10 minutes later. But I'm sure he's Mr. Wonderful for fantasy leagues.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Offering someone better than Heinola or adding another 1st makes this a fairly decent offer IMO

I think the Oilers wouldn't want just forward prospects and Heinola is our top defensive prospect who had a great training camp and was ready to finally take on a roster spot. It's a good inclusion but the value will be better established when he returns from injury and actually plays this season with the Jets.

If he doesn't impress, I would replace... fine doing a 2025 1st instead.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Whoever gets McDavid is going to have to finally teach him how to play a 200' game, unless they just want him to score a lot and fill the stadium without any real hopes of contending, i.e., pretty much the same as where he is now with the Oilers.
Such a ridiculous take, repeating it over and over doesn’t make it true

Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, and Leon's defense totally sucks, including in the playoffs. What is his +/-?. Vegas wouldn't take Draisatl unless they knew they could flip him 10 minutes later. But I'm sure he's Mr. Wonderful for fantasy leagues.
3rd ALL TIME in PPG.

Even if he was the worst player in league history defensively (he’s not before you even try to suggest it) his offence in the playoffs alone makes him an incredibly valuable asset.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
3rd ALL TIME in PPG.

Even if he was the worst player in league history defensively (he’s not before you even try to suggest it) his offence in the playoffs alone makes him an incredibly valuable asset.

Leon's offense in the playoffs has been better than McDavid's, I'll give you that. But from a team that actually plays the Oilers almost every season in the playoffs, what Leon takes away Leon also giveth. His turnovers in his own zone are legendary. Definitely the James Hardin of the NHL.

Go back and read some of the Oilers' GDTs from last season's playoffs where the Oiler fans were pulling their hair out about Draisatl's turnovers and general lack of effort on defense.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
NJ has assets they could spend on McDavid...

Hischier
Bratt
Holtz
Mercer
Meier
Nemec
Marino
Siegenthaler
Casey
2 of their next 3 1sts

Not really sure what combination of assets would work for both sides but it does look possible a deal could be made. At least one of NJ's long term money deals would need to go the other way most likely.
2 first round picks
Nemec
Mercer
Holtz
Hischier

Also probably have to throw in a cap dump or two as well as a few lower picks and prospects and maybe take on a few Oilers contracts as well. Maybe Reunite the Mcleod brothers. Foegele, Ceci ect.

Then this could probably get the conversation started IF and that is a HUGE "IF" He was actually available. It would like something like this.

As McDavid has a full No Trade Clause. If he demands a trade and only wants to go to one or two teams. The return could be considerably less though. Which is probably the most likely scenario.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Leon's offense in the playoffs has been better than McDavid's, I'll give you that. But from a team that actually plays the Oilers almost every season in the playoffs, what Leon takes away Leon also giveth. His turnovers in his own zone are legendary. Definitely the James Hardin of the NHL.

Go back and read some of the Oilers' GDTs from last season's playoffs where the Oiler fans were pulling their hair out about Draisatl's turnovers and general lack of effort on defense.
Bruh it’s not just better than McDavid (who’s 4th all time btw), it’s better than every single active player in the NHL, including VASTIY better than every single Vegas player.

Your opinion here is one of the more ridiculous I’ve ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad