Value of: McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmabileCassarole

Nov 4, 2023
i am not sure why you think the oilers are in control and deciding things here. the oilers have had years to think about the decisions they need to win mcdavid a cup. they have chosen to avoid all hard decisions and rely on mcdavid's talent to cover for their dithering. they can't even bring themselves to use 1st rounders to acquire a decent goalie when in cup or bust mode. you think they can pull off a mid-season draisaitl trade that saves the season, redefines the team into a contender and avoids a trade demand from mcdavid?

because i think it's not going to be their decision and they won't get to consider their options. mcdavid can surely see that this team is never going to be a contender. he will therefore demand a trade at the end of the season and give them a list of teams he will go to. if they refuse he will sit out until they move him.

they will then have to move quickly to deal him and market whatever comes back because it is a franchise killing moment and they will not sell many season tickets until it is done.

they may belatedly offer to trade draisaitl to convince mcdavid to stay but trading draisaitl is not going to return the assets needed to fix the oilers. more likely they will try hard to retain draisaitl because losing both will make them look even more pathetic.

There's no way they'll trade McDavid for two reasons:

1. Darryl Katz will veto any attempt because McDavid is literally his golden goose.
2. It's the Oilers. They'll f*** up any trade, and we know it. Deep down, we all know that the trade will be like Duke Nukem Forever: totally underwhelming, let alone shitty.

Them walking in free agency is the most realistic scenario here. We can talk about "ideal trades" until we're blue in the face, but you said it yourself:

"i am not sure why you think the oilers are in control and deciding things here. the oilers have had years to think about the decisions they need to win mcdavid a cup. they have chosen to avoid all hard decisions and rely on mcdavid's talent to cover for their dithering."

Ain't no way in hell the same brain trust that brought you Mr. 9.5 and Jack Campbell's thousand yard stare is gonna get a good deal for McDavid, or even Drai for that matter.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Any Detroit offer would have to start with Moritz Seider for Edmonton to take it seriously. 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♀️

Marner has a NMC. Why would he want to play in Edmonton?

If we're taking this situation seriously...

He's more likely to walk in UFA vs net a massive haul of any teams top 3 players and picks.

Reactions: Oneiro

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Attachments

• IMG_3117.jpeg
    IMG_3117.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: banks

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Of course we do, Karlsson just got traded
ok. He waived to go from a tire fire to a team that has Crosby, Malkin, Letang and one more shot at a cup. San Jose also ate on that one. He also narrowed his list of acceptable destinations pretty severely.

I don't see the direct comparison to this situation. Who is waiving to go an Edmonton team that just moved McDavid and has Draisatl as a pending UFA?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
ok. He waived to go from a tire fire to a team that has Crosby, Malkin, Letang and one more shot at a cup. San Jose also ate on that one. He also narrowed his list of acceptable destinations pretty severely.

I don't see the direct comparison to this situation. Who is waiving to go an Edmonton team that just moved McDavid and has Draisatl as a pending UFA?

You aren’t necessarily going to find a direct comparison. The question was around NMC

Players can, and do waive them.

How do you get someone to waive? That’s up to management, I guess.

But everyone has some form of trade protection, McDavid has trade protection. It’s a non-issue, if the player wants to move, he’ll move. If the team wants to move the player, they’ll figure it out

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Problem is nobody's giving full value for McDavid unless they're absolutely sure he'll resign there. I mean yeah, a team like Buffalo could make a damn good offer, but they won't because if he leaves for the Rangers or Tampa in two years, it would all but destroy thier future. So IF McDavid would come to Buffalo, and they would trade him right now, My personal all in considering his contract would be

2023 1st
Dylan Cozens (good young player signed for 6 more years.
Matthew Savoie ( "A" quality prospect)
2024 2nd.

I'd still be hesitant because if McDavid walked after his contract plus losing all those pieces would be a huge kick in the teeth.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It would take whatever someones will to give up and gut their future. You'd have to think 3 top prospects , at least 3 firsts, plus others. You might have to throw in some iphones and macbooks too for the scouting staff.

AmabileCassarole

Nov 4, 2023
It would take whatever someones will to give up and gut their future. You'd have to think 3 top prospects , at least 3 firsts, plus others. You might have to throw in some iphones and macbooks too for the scouting staff.

Good thing nobody will make a trade, then. No team is going to gut their future when they can just wait for him to walk in free agency a la Tavares.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Problem is nobody's giving full value for McDavid unless they're absolutely sure he'll resign there. I mean yeah, a team like Buffalo could make a damn good offer, but they won't because if he leaves for the Rangers or Tampa in two years, it would all but destroy thier future. So IF McDavid would come to Buffalo, and they would trade him right now, My personal all in considering his contract would be

2023 1st
2024 2nd.

I'd still be hesitant because if McDavid walked after his contract plus losing all those pieces would be a huge kick in the teeth.
It starts with Dahlin.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

2023 1st
2024 2nd.

There would be a league wide bidding war. You can bet he'll get full value.

If McDavid doesn't cause a bidding war, who in the NHL would?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
There would be a league wide bidding war. You can bet he'll get full value.

If McDavid doesn't cause a bidding war, who in the NHL would?

Sure, everyone's going to bid. But the teams with high 1st's and top prospects aren't going to hand them all over for two years of McDavid. I mean, I guess you never know but odds are the return would be disappointing for what one would think McDavid should return. A big market team might be willing to give more if they're convinced he'll stay. I'm just saying teams like Buffalo wouldn't give nearly what some of these posts are saying simply because of the contract.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Sure, everyone's going to bid. But the teams with high 1st's and top prospects aren't going to hand them all over for two years of McDavid. I mean, I guess you never know but odds are the return would be disappointing for what one would think McDavid should return. A big market team might be willing to give more if they're convinced he'll stay. I'm just saying teams like Buffalo wouldn't give nearly what some of these posts are saying simply because of the contract.

Well, I highly doubt McDavid goes anywhere. Katz & Co. will open the vaults to make sure he remains an Oiler, so my money is on a lucrative 8 year extension being signed sometime next year.

However, as these boards are just for fun let's say McDavid won't sign in Edmonton. Any team who makes an offer for him, leaving no asset "off limits" because doing so would take them out of the running, would want assurances that an extension would be signed. So factor that into your calculations.

I can only imagine what a team would look like after acquiring McDavid. Most of their best prospects and top young guns would be gone. However the vets in their prime would still be on their roster as this increasingly hypothetical team takes a massive run at Stanley Cup glory.

I suppose a the most highly motivated teams in this regard would want to outshine Connor Bedard and the 'Hawks. So someone out East? Maybe even a team in the Central Division? No one in the Pacific would get a sniff, I think we can bank on that.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: Sabresruletheschool

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well, I highly doubt McDavid goes anywhere. Katz & Co. will open the vaults to make sure he remains an Oiler, so my money is on a lucrative 8 year extension being signed sometime next year.

However, as these boards are just for fun let's say McDavid won't sign in Edmonton. Any team who makes an offer for him, leaving no asset "off limits" because doing so would take them out of the running, would want assurances that an extension would be signed. So factor that into your calculations.

I can only imagine what a team would look like after acquiring McDavid. Most of their best prospects and top young guns would be gone. However the vets in their prime would still be on their roster as this increasingly hypothetical team takes a massive run at Stanley Cup glory.

I suppose a the most highly motivated teams in this regard would want to outshine Connor Bedard and the 'Hawks. So someone out East? Maybe even a team in the Central Division? No one in the Pacific would get a sniff, I think we can bank on that.

Just my two cents.
Pretty sure McDavid cannot sign an extension any time next season. His current contract runs til 2026.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
No matter how good a player is there is only so much any team will give up for any player. The whole point of acquiring McDavid would be to win so of course a team is not going to gut their roster to get him. The Oilers would still get a great return for him though but the Oilers are trying to win also and I doubt what you get back for him will make you a better team then if you moved other players instead to improve the team. That is why it makes no sense for the Oilers to trade McDavid unless he wants to be traded. If he did get traded I would expect it to be a sign and trade scenario and McDavid will go where he wants to go.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Probably not as much as some would think in a salary cap world. I’d guess great youngish player+ blue chip prospect+ 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad