Value of: McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Idk. Those players are 21 and younger (I think). They are 1C and 1st pair defensemen (I’d be shocked if Hughes isn’t. Trending for more than 50 pts as a 20 year old rookie Dman is nothing to sneeze at. Outside of Luke, I believe they are locked up through their 20’s. The Oilers would downgrade from an all time great to one of the best in the NHL now AND be adding a 1st pair Dman. Sometimes the whole is greater than the some of the parts. And if McDavid isn’t going to resign, no way an expiring contract gets those sets of guys

ETA: forgive the mess. The site reloads so I copy and pasted so I didn’t lose everything
You have to take into consideration the age of the Oilers other players and the fact that moving McDavid also means moving Leon for mostly futures since you can only take back about $8M. The best supporting players are not 23 to go along with these two kids as they grow. You still have a team with goaltending issues. If the Hughes brothers were capable of carrying the Oilers depth to a cup in the next few years NJ would now be a legitimate contender. What you likely end up with is an aging team that has two young stars that are not as good as the pair you lost.

As I said Oiler fans have seen this story before. It did not work out well. There is absolutely no guarantee it would this time. And frankly I'd rather take a shot with McDavid and Draisaitl over the Hughes brothers.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
And the call ends there, with Buffalo’s GM hanging up.

No, they aren’t. The Lightning, for instance, already have two legitimate 1Cs as well as multiple quality depth centers, are tight against the cap, and are struggling defensively; they have no need for McDavid and are not going to destroy their depth or further weaken their defense to fit him on their roster. That would simply turn them into the Oilers and nobody wants that.

And you overestimate McDavid’s financial impact, especially for teams in the United States where he is by no means a household name. In any event the big bucks come from corporate sponsorships - individual fans buying tickets and merch are a drop in the bucket comparatively, and even then nothing sells tickets/merch like winning. Sure, he’d be a financial boon to a struggling team in Canada, but for a successful team in the US his monetary impact would be negligible.
I see that you are on team “McDavid isn’t as valuable as Oiler fans think”.

Is there really an asset more valuable than the consensus best NHL player?

People that give a shit about hockey know who McDavid is. Not to mention the marketing that would occur from having a player like that. A player with a similar reputation saved Pittsburgh. Crosby was the saviour there. Don’t undervalue a megastars impact.

Reactions: TFHockey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He’ll get full value for an impending UFA. Which even with an extension agreed upon in advance is nowhere close to the same as full value for a player who is already locked up longterm with no need for his current team to trade him and no chance for any other team to acquire him in free agency.
He's not an impending UFA. He's got two years under contract after this one. A team smarter than the Oilers - or the Sabres for that matter - could turn that two years into two Stanley Cups if they play their cards right.

This pipe dream other teams have that Edmonton would take their spare parts, B+ futures, and distant firsts for Connor McDavid even in the extremely unlikely scenario he demands out needs to die.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well, as cap considerations really. I fully acknowledged they have no value, and asked what actual value Edmonton fans would want as far as prospects to be included.
Whatever your best prospects are and many many firsts if you’re not offering a single NHL player with value.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He’ll get full value for an impending UFA. Which even with an extension agreed upon in advance is nowhere close to the same as full value for a player who is already locked up longterm with no need for his current team to trade him and no chance for any other team to acquire him in free agency.
He’s not a pending UFA. You’d be getting him for 2.5 years if traded today at the deadline.

Every playoff contender would be calling.

Reactions: frontsfan67

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No, they aren’t. The Lightning, for instance, already have two legitimate 1Cs as well as multiple quality depth centers, are tight against the cap, and are struggling defensively; they have no need for McDavid and are not going to destroy their depth or further weaken their defense to fit him on their roster. That would simply turn them into the Oilers and nobody wants that.

And you overestimate McDavid’s financial impact, especially for teams in the United States where he is by no means a household name. In any event the big bucks come from corporate sponsorships - individual fans buying tickets and merch are a drop in the bucket comparatively, and even then nothing sells tickets/merch like winning. Sure, he’d be a financial boon to a struggling team in Canada, but for a successful team in the US his monetary impact would be negligible.
Like 35% of NHL teams revenue comes from ticket sales. Add in extra merch and you’re dead wrong on it being a “drop in the bucket”. Advertising revenue also goes up with the attendance boost

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Is there really an asset more valuable than the consensus best NHL player?

Even if we assume that the consensus is correct (which is debatable), cap hit, term, age, and trend all still impact player value - and that’s in a vacuum, before we get into the demand side of the equation where things like team positional need and cap situation come into play. As good as McDavid is there are a lot of elite players who are younger and/or on far better contracts in terms of cap hit and term, and those players are more valuable than he is.

This pipe dream other teams have that Edmonton would take their spare parts, B+ futures, and distant firsts for Connor McDavid even in the extremely unlikely scenario he demands out needs to die.

This pipe dream that Oilers fans have that other teams would be lining up to give away their younger elite players signed to far superior longterm contracts for a couple years of an exorbitantly expensive and past his physical prime McDavid needs to die.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
He’s not a pending UFA. You’d be getting him for 2.5 years if traded today at the deadline.

Every playoff contender would be calling.

He won’t be traded today. If he’s traded it will be in the final year of his contract, when more teams can afford him at the deadline and will have an opportunity to negotiate an extension with him.

And no, every playoff contender would not be calling if McDavid were to be traded now, as most of them can’t fit him under the cap without gutting the roster that made them playoff contenders in the first place. For some reason Edmonton fans can’t seem to understand that there is a salary cap and that not everyone is willing (or even able) to turn themselves into the Oilers by doing what it would take to fit him in under it.

As a rental, especially with retention from Edmonton? Sure, most teams would be interested in that scenario even if they would be unable to re-sign him, though even then there may be some that due to LTIR would be unable to accrue cap space throughout the year and would therefore still be unable to fit him in.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I think every team in the league would call. Even Calgary would make a pitch for McDavid. I mean, why wouldn't they?

Yeah, I mean if you want to be pedantic about it every team would call, because GMs wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they didn’t at least inquire about him. But not every team would be calling with serious intent to add him. For some teams it would be “can you retain 50% so we can even consider fitting him in under the cap? No? Ok, thanks anyway.”

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He won’t be traded today. If he’s traded it will be in the final year of his contract, when more teams can afford him at the deadline and will have an opportunity to negotiate an extension with him.

And no, every playoff contender would not be calling if McDavid were to be traded now, as most of them can’t fit him under the cap without gutting the roster that made them playoff contenders in the first place. For some reason Edmonton fans can’t seem to understand that there is a salary cap and that not everyone is willing (or even able) to turn themselves into the Oilers by doing what it would take to fit him in under it.

As a rental, especially with retention from Edmonton? Sure, most teams would be interested in that scenario even if they would be unable to re-sign him, though even then there may be some that due to LTIR would be unable to accrue cap space throughout the year and would therefore still be unable to fit him in.
Did you really state that it’s arguable McDavid is the best player in the league? Hahaha

IT is amusing to see posters run down a player who is 26 years old, and has 311 goals, 567 assists for 878 pts in 588 games

From the start of the 2019 season to now he has

301 GP-183 goals-323 assists-506pts

Pts wise the next nearest guy is Leon 460

McDavid has over 2.5 seasons left on his contract--but he is called a rental.
According to some here, he’s not even the best in the league. They’re best to just ignore, which I’m about to do because it’s similar to arguing with toddlers.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Even if we assume that the consensus is correct (which is debatable), cap hit, term, age, and trend all still impact player value - and that’s in a vacuum, before we get into the demand side of the equation where things like team positional need and cap situation come into play. As good as McDavid is there are a lot of elite players who are younger and/or on far better contracts in terms of cap hit and term, and those players are more valuable than he is.

This pipe dream that Oilers fans have that other teams would be lining up to give away their younger elite players signed to far superior longterm contracts for a couple years of an exorbitantly expensive and past his physical prime McDavid needs to die.
And you’re basing this on what, the shitty return Buffalo got for Eichel? :laugh: not everyone sells off their stars for pennies on the dollar.

McDavid is the best player in the NHL. In a later post you want Edmonton to retain, too, on top of not giving up anything of value for him? Take a lap. McDavids are NEVER available via trade. If you’re comfortable with your team being the 19th highest bidder, that’s on you, but don’t expect any offer of spare junk and picks to be taken seriously.

Imagine even IMPLYING that Connor McDavid isn’t full value for his contract.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Did you really state that it’s arguable McDavid is the best player in the league? Hahaha

According to some here, he’s not even the best in the league. They’re best to just ignore, which I’m about to do because it’s similar to arguing with toddlers.

You should take a good long look in the mirror there, son: insulting someone because you lack the intellectual capacity to refute them is surely the mark of a child. And as I see no point in arguing with one, I’m through with you. Now go away and let the adults converse in peace.

• Haha
Reactions: nbwingsfan

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
His value is going up every day since he’s collecting points and the team is winning. Better nab him before he’s out of your price range, boys.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
His value is going up every day since he’s collecting points and the team is winning. Better nab him before he’s out of your price range, boys.

Nah, according to buddy you can get him for free soon enough. He doesn't seem bias at all either referring to McDavid as a "overpaid loser" so I'm sure you guys will have constructive discussions with this fantastic poster

He likely just started watching hockey this fall so give him a bit of time to learn the game

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Anyone who does not think that McDavid is the best player in the NHL is either being disengenuous or is simply not credible. And you do realise that McDavid is 26. Crosby is 10 years older and he's still a pretty decent player I'd say.

Name 2 players you actually think are more valuable than McDavid. Bedard some may argue I am sure because of his age and potential, but give me one more name.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Nah, according to buddy you can get him for free soon enough. He doesn't seem bias at all either referring to McDavid as a "overpaid loser" so I'm sure you guys will have constructive discussions with this fantastic poster

He likely just started watching hockey this fall so give him a bit of time to learn the game

Another mental infant incapable of anything other than insulting his betters. I won’t miss your posts either.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
it's time to discuss this. ignore the oilers fans in denial and let's discuss where the best player in the league ends up after this season.

post your team's real cap compliant offers.

oilers won't trade him to the canucks so i'll spectate.
You look at what the rangers\flyers offered for Lindros and compare.

The 3 1's type offers are not in the same galaxy.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Anyone who does not think that McDavid is the best player in the NHL is either being disengenuous or is simply not credible. And you do realise that McDavid is 26. Crosby is 10 years older and he's still a pretty decent player I'd say.

Name 2 players you actually think are more valuable than McDavid. Bedard some may argue I am sure because of his age and potential, but give me one more name.

Some of us just value postseason performance over the regular season, and Kucherov is the best postseason performer of the past decade and the only player besides Gretzky and Lemieux to put up 30+ points in back-to-back Cup runs. But you go ahead and keep virtually fellating the guy who disappears in big games and who cares more about padding his offensive stats than about winning championships.

I’d frankly take Kucherov over McDavid even with contracts being equal - not only because he’s the best postseason performer in the league over the past decade but because his game will age far better as he relies on hockey IQ rather than speed - but given that McDavid is 32% more expensive with a year less of term Kucherov is easily the more valuable when contracts are taken into account.

Similarly there are numerous elite players signed to good-to-reasonable longterm deals who would not be moved for McDavid with only two years less on his and a raise on his already roster-crippling cap hit to follow. Point, Dahlin, Hughes, Heiskanen, et. al. Nobody is giving up several years of an elite player for a couple of McDavid, especially when the difference in cap hit would also cost you another quality player or two.

It’s your turn: name me one instance during the cap era where an elite player (who was recognized as such at the time) under years of team control was traded for a substantially more expensive player with only two years remaining on his contract. Everyone is so certain that teams would do this that they act like I’m the crazy one, and yet not one of you has been able to provide an example of a deal like that taking place. Can you do it, or are you yet another who chooses to mock those he is intellectually incapable of refuting?

• Haha

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You look at what the rangers\flyers offered for Lindros and compare.

That was in a pre-cap league and for a rookie with years of team control ahead of him, not the most expensive player in a cap-restricted league with only two years of term remaining before he hits free agency. The two are not remotely comparable.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Some of us just value postseason performance over the regular season, and Kucherov is the best postseason performer of the past decade and the only player besides Gretzky and Lemieux to put up 30+ points in back-to-back Cup runs. But you go ahead and keep virtually fellating the guy who disappears in big games and who cares more about padding his offensive stats than about winning championships.

I’d frankly take Kucherov over McDavid even with contracts being equal - not only because he’s the best postseason performer in the league over the past decade but because his game will age far better as he relies on hockey IQ rather than speed - but given that McDavid is 32% more expensive with a year less of term Kucherov is easily the more valuable when contracts are taken into account.

Similarly there are numerous elite players signed to good-to-reasonable longterm deals who would not be moved for McDavid with only two years less on his and a raise on his already roster-crippling cap hit to follow. Point, Dahlin, Hughes, Heiskanen, et. al. Nobody is giving up several years of an elite player for a couple of McDavid, especially when the difference in cap hit would also cost you another quality player or two.

It’s your turn: name me one instance during the cap era where an elite player (who was recognized as such at the time) under years of team control was traded for a substantially more expensive player with only two years remaining on his contract. Everyone is so certain that teams would do this that they act like I’m the crazy one, and yet not one of you has been able to provide an example of a deal like that taking place. Can you do it, or are you yet another who chooses to mock those he is intellectually incapable of refutiing?
McDavid: scores at a higher PPG than Kucherov ever has the past two post seasons, including scoring 7 more points in 7 less games in 2022 to lead the NHL post season in scoring

This guy: McDavid is an Overpaid loser who sucks in the playoffs and Kucherov is way more valuable !!!

Pro tip: if literally no one agrees with you, you’re wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad