Value of: McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
The Oilers are gonna lose any McDavid trade. Contending teams are gonna be reluctant to trade their big key pieces and they don’t want to hurt their depth. And McDavid isn’t gonna waive his NMC to go to a non-contending team. It’ll be the Gretzky trade all over again except the Oilers aren’t stacked enough this time around to win a cup without their main superstar.

With that being said, we all know McDavid is most likely walking on July 1st, 2026. It’ll just be interesting to see which teams in contention will be able to sign him at that time

Last edited:
Reactions: AndreRoy

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
in terms of a trade it will be close to Eichel…..

1st, decent not top 5 prospect, another prospect/2nd that becomes a 1st, and w decent roster players that are close to $9M+ combined salary or players are due one in the summer.
Maybe if McDavid neck was in danger of being fused together

Reactions: Macheteops

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
for mcdavid i think some teams will try an offer involving their best forward.

Very few would, if any.

McDavid only has a couple years left on an overpriced contract, and no team is going to trade an elite or near-elite forward on a good longterm deal for that. So the only teams that would even consider making their top forward available are those for whom that player is either on a similar contract (like Toronto) or simply isn’t that good (like Montreal.) The problem is the players in the first group pretty much all have NMCs/NTCs and likely won’t accept a trade to Edmonton, and the teams in the second are generally far from contending and won’t be interested in trading their top forward for two years of a guy who won’t put them over the top anyway.

Basically, unless Matthews/Nylander wants out and Edmonton can entice him with an overpayment on his extension, it’s highly unlikely that McDavid will return a team’s top forward. And even if that happened the Oilers would still be stuck in the same place they are now.

• Haha
Reactions: randywoodsghost

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I’ll add that if Edmonton really wants to get serious value for McDavid they should offer him with retention. McD at $12.5M is a roster-crippling contract that few if any contending teams will want anything to do with; McD at $6.25M on the other hand would attract a ton of interest. He still wouldn’t bring back an elite player on a good longterm deal, but he’d return a wealth of picks and prospects.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Very few would, if any.

McDavid only has a couple years left on an overpriced contract, and no team is going to trade an elite or near-elite forward on a good longterm deal for that. So the only teams that would even consider making their top forward available are those for whom that player is either on a similar contract (like Toronto) or simply isn’t that good (like Montreal.) The problem is the players in the first group pretty much all have NMCs/NTCs and likely won’t accept a trade to Edmonton, and the teams in the second are generally far from contending and won’t be interested in trading their top forward for two years of a guy who won’t put them over the top anyway.

Basically, unless Matthews/Nylander wants out and Edmonton can entice him with an overpayment on his extension, it’s highly unlikely that McDavid will return a team’s top forward. And even if that happened the Oilers would still be stuck in the same place they are now.
Overpriced contract?

You think McDavid is overpaid?

Come on.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I’ll add that if Edmonton really wants to get serious value for McDavid they should offer him with retention. McD at $12.5M is a roster-crippling contract that few if any contending teams will want anything to do with; McD at $6.25M on the other hand would attract a ton of interest. He still wouldn’t bring back an elite player on a good longterm deal, but he’d return a wealth of picks and prospects.
Very few would, if any.

McDavid's 12.5m is very, very far from being an overpriced or roster crippling contract, c'mon now, there are real obstacles to getting fair value for McD without talking bullshit. Other top players mostly having NTC's, McD's NTC, and especially his contract status, which prevents a pre-agreed extension. I have no doubt that McDavid with an 8x15 extension in place would return most teams best forward+++.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
McDavid's 12.5m is very, very far from being an overpriced or roster crippling contract, c'mon now, there are real obstacles to getting fair value for McD without talking bullshit. Other top players mostly having NTC's, McD's NTC, and especially his contract status, which prevents a pre-agreed extension. I have no doubt that McDavid with an 8x15 extension in place would return most teams best forward+++.

What contender is going to gut its roster to accommodate that cap hit, much less give its top forward away in the process? Go ahead, I’m waiting.

As for an extension, first of all a sign-and-trade is vastly different from a scenario where Edmonton already has McDavid locked up with no need to move him and no chance of anyone else obtaining him via free agency.

Second, is McDavid agreeing to a trade with a rebuilding team - one that has sufficient cap space to fit that contract and a top forward that isn’t close to elite? Because that’s the only way that happens, and even then a smart team would stay away and stick to its rebuild rather than consign itself to perpetual mediocrity. Certainly nobody’s giving up an elite forward on a far superior contract for McDavid, much less with “+++” included. Contrary to popular belief teams aren’t lining up to turn themselves into the Oilers 2.0.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think Buffalo is in a good position to make such a blockbuster move.

At the draft...

to Buffalo:
- Connor McDavid, $12,500,000
- Cody Ceci, $3,250,000
to Edmonton:
- Owen Power, $8,350,000
- Dylan Cozens, $7,100,000
- Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, RFA
- 1st in 2024
- 2nd in 2025
- 1st in 2026
Would Buffalo even bother doing a deal like that? They finally look like they are headed in a good direction and thats 2 young core pieces on 8 year contracts going the other way.

I'd give everything for McDavid.

Matthews + 1st

Get it done
I wouldnt do that, the goal would be to add McDavid to the core, not just swap 1C’s.

If McDavid comes to the Leafs it’s through free agency. I’m not trading for him

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
In theory if the oilers did this correctly they could essentially get enough assets to be a contender for a long long time

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Just for fun
Lets say the Oilers want to rebuild.

McDavid to Buffalo for: Cozens(C), Power(LD), Joki(RD), Levi(G), 1st 2025

Draisaitle and Campbell to the Wild for: Faber (RD), Rossi (C), Boldy(LW), Wallstedt (G)

Move RNH for Picks and Nurse to whoever will take him.
As your young guys get better, you draft wise and go UFA shopping as older contracts come off the book. Set your contender window to 2027
I doubt Minnesota violently guts themselves for 1 and 1/2 years of Leon

I just saw Campbell is there too jesus, how much value do you think he has?

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
There has to be some contending teams that have a bad contract and would trade a huge amount of picks and prospects for McDavid at 50% no?

Oilers need to do this before it's too late. It's time to clean out the hockey operations and start fresh. Move McDavid and Drai at 50% for insane value and then go from there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In a cap world where every dollar must be allocated efficiently to construct a winning roster? Absolutely he’s overpaid.
The best player in the league gets paid. Simple as that. And it's not like he is getting way more than the rest. Christ, he makes 1.5 million more than Tavares. THAT is what overpaid looks like.

Oilers issues is not McDavid and his cap hit. Paying a AHL goalie 5 years x5 million, is.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
in terms of a trade it will be close to Eichel…..

1st, decent not top 5 prospect, another prospect/2nd that becomes a 1st, and w decent roster players that are close to $9M+ combined salary or players are due one in the summer.
It will be so much more than Eichel. He had like literally double the points Eichel did last season.

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
TSN is calling this season one of the most disappointing seasons in NHL history for EDM.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
In a cap world where every dollar must be allocated efficiently to construct a winning roster? Absolutely he’s overpaid.
He makes like $1.5M more than Tavares.
$2M more than Eichel

While being twice the player.

You’re basically calling everyone not on some bargain contract “overpaid”

Reactions: Tripod

verdi

Oct 19, 2023
He makes like $1.5M more than Tavares.
$2M more than Eichel

While being twice the player.

You’re basically calling everyone not on some bargain contract “overpaid”
He can be three times the player, that doesn't seem to matter in a season - clearly.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
There has to be some contending teams that have a bad contract and would trade a huge amount of picks and prospects for McDavid at 50% no?

Oilers need to do this before it's too late. It's time to clean out the hockey operations and start fresh. Move McDavid and Drai at 50% for insane value and then go from there.

That’s precisely what I said. Those guys at 50% would be highly desirable commodities for a lot of teams (namely those in desperate need of scoring and who don’t care about their forwards’ effort on defense) and would fetch a pretty penny in picks and prospects in return. And by the time those draft selections and prospects are ready to compete Edmonton will have a lot of cap hit coming off the books and will be in a position to build an actual contending roster.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No matter what retention is done….Edmonton will not get back a true value in return.

doing this trade mid season limits the market. A trade around the draft opens it up to many more teams. Provided the cap goes up.

Mcdavid at 8.5-9.5 and Campbell ( full) and possibly a younger player is I think the likely trade package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad