Value of: McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I would think a vast majority of teams are more desirable then EDM at this point.
Not necessarily to McDavid personally. Seems like he is marrying an Edmonton girl who has her own business in Edmonton, Oilers star Connor McDavid gets engaged and so McDavid probably isn't moving anywhere unless the grass is a lot greener (and so is the pay). Perennial non-contenders and/or teams where he can't golf everyday need not apply. So that probably leaves Anaheim, LA, Tampa, and Florida. Else, he just stays in Edmonton and takes a money bath every day while keeping his new wife happy. Katz will likely offer McDavid around $18~$20 million for eight years to hang around.

Since these other teams probably can't outbid Katz, even if they thought it was wise, the most probable outcome is that McDavid stays in Edmonton and trades his Cup aspirations for marital bliss. Unless of course, she wants to move too, and wealthy women seem to like NYC for whatever reason, so maybe those teams become an option too.

Something tells me Anaheim would be the most likely option. They'd pay for a big star, and McDavid could live in Newport Beach and sail his yacht around when he's not playing golf, while his wife moves her career to within the lucrative LA basin. Perfect weather most days, and a laid back lifestyle where celebrities successfully fade into the community without anybody recognizing them or even caring at the grocery store and local bars.

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If Edmonton is looking to still compete, I'd do something like Zibanejad+Goodrow (cap+bottom 6 reinforcement)+Othmann/Perreault+1 or 2 1sts. Could possibly add Dylan Garand in too.

Draisaitl takes over 1C, Zib to 2C. Goodrow reinforces bottom 6 and buyout is affordable if EDM doesn't want to keep him, Othmann could play this year but might be better off marinating in the A for this year.

Edit:
If EDM is looking for straight futures, I don't think the Rangers have what it takes

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
So that probably leaves Anaheim, LA, Tampa, and Florida.

Tampa’s loaded at center and short on cap space, to the point where they may not be able to bring Stamkos back next season. So they have neither the need for McDavid nor the ability to realistically fit him in under the cap.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Tampa’s loaded at center and short on cap space, to the point where they may not be able to bring Stamkos back next season. So they have neither the need for McDavid nor the ability to realistically fit him in under the cap.

Yep, should have made clear those are destinations that McDavid would himself consider, not that those teams would necessarily even want McDavid because of their own considerations. In fact, my guess would be that out of Anaheim, LA, Tampa and Florida, only Anaheim would seriously think about making an offer for McDavid taking into account that he will probably want $18~$20 million on his next contract.

Reactions: AndreRoy

AmabileCassarole

Nov 4, 2023
McDavid will not waive his NMC for undesirable destinations.

Something tells me Anaheim would be the most likely option. They'd pay for a big star, and McDavid could live in Newport Beach and sail his yacht around when he's not playing golf, while his wife moves her career to within the lucrative LA basin. Perfect weather most days, and a laid back lifestyle where celebrities successfully fade into the community without anybody recognizing them or even caring at the grocery store and local bars.

Good for Anaheim. Lose Ohtani and Trout, get McDavid. Then Teemu can do some dopey commercials with him just like Mess did. :laugh:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think so. At worst they trade him in a year for a haul of their own if he's unwilling to sign an extension.

I think this deal would make the Sabres a cup contender, they'd still have over $17m (19m+ if they don't qualify Bryson) in cap space to get a good goaltender to play with Levi and add another defensemen or two.
Thanks.

Buffalo could be one of the very trade partners that could make sense for both sides.

Swayman, DeBrusk, Zacha, Lohrei (or switch Z and L with Carlo and Poitros)
Not saying it's a realistic deal but the money is around the same, none have NTCs and it doesn't gut Boston. (Carlo might)
Just an example.
i think Zacha has an NMC, no?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
it's time to discuss this. ignore the oilers fans in denial and let's discuss where the best player in the league ends up after this season.

post your team's real cap compliant offers.

oilers won't trade him to the canucks so i'll spectate.
I wouldn't give up on their season. That's massive move. Just two months ago they were cup contender. Same team .

The Oilers only 8 points out of wildcard spot. We seen with Florida last year, anything can happen. They need a goalie though. West is wide open this year.

Reactions: Macheteops

JeffroTullison

Aug 26, 2021
If they are trading McDavid it is because he is walking at UFA. This means the oilers suck and thus will be rebuilding. With that in mind it will be as many 1st Rd Picks and A tier prospects as they want.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think Buffalo is in a good position to make such a blockbuster move.

At the draft...

to Buffalo:
- Connor McDavid, $12,500,000
- Cody Ceci, $3,250,000
to Edmonton:
- Owen Power, $8,350,000
- Dylan Cozens, $7,100,000
- Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, RFA
- 1st in 2024
- 2nd in 2025
- 1st in 2026
Not sure McDavid would wave for Buffalo, unless they turn it around.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Why would they? The Oilers are in no position to dictate terms. If anything, they're in the position of being dictated to.

??? What on earth are you talking about. McDavid has 3 years left on his contractm. You don't think teams would line up around the block to bid on the best player since Lemeuix?

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
??? What on earth are you talking about. McDavid has 3 years left on his contractm. You don't think teams would line up around the block to bid on the best player since Lemeuix?
But how many of those teams would McDavid waive for? And of the teams that McDavid would waive for, how many teams are willing to undo years of building depth just to bring on one player? Certainly, some will, but other teams that are already competitors for the Cup will think twice.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Not necessarily to McDavid personally. Seems like he is marrying an Edmonton girl who has her own business in Edmonton, Oilers star Connor McDavid gets engaged and so McDavid probably isn't moving anywhere unless the grass is a lot greener (and so is the pay). Perennial non-contenders and/or teams where he can't golf everyday need not apply. So that probably leaves Anaheim, LA, Tampa, and Florida. Else, he just stays in Edmonton and takes a money bath every day while keeping his new wife happy. Katz will likely offer McDavid around $18~$20 million for eight years to hang around.

Since these other teams probably can't outbid Katz, even if they thought it was wise, the most probable outcome is that McDavid stays in Edmonton and trades his Cup aspirations for marital bliss. Unless of course, she wants to move too, and wealthy women seem to like NYC for whatever reason, so maybe those teams become an option too.

Anaheim would be an interesting destination for sure.

McTavish/Carlsson + Drysdale/Minyutkov + Strome + protected 1st (top 3) for McDavid ?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Pettersson
Beauvillier
Podzolkin
2024 1st Round Pick
2025 1st Round Pick

Thoughts?

I think McDavid would actually agree to move to Vancouver, given it's a short plane ride away and the team is competitive.

Definitely a more attractive option for him than somewhere like Buffalo.

• Haha

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
But how many of those teams would McDavid waive for? And of the teams that McDavid would waive for, how many teams are willing to undo years of building depth just to bring on one player? Certainly, some will, but other teams that are already competitors for the Cup will think twice.

This is something that Oilers fans just can’t seem to understand. Nobody is going to gut their roster for McDavid only to put themselves in the same place that Edmonton is in now. Especially not a competitive team, which is the only sort of team that would be interested in him with only two years remaining on his deal.

Which brings me to another thing that Oilers fans don’t understand: you have to take the contract (as well as age, trend, etc.) into account when determining value. Even if McDavid is the best player in the league (debatable), he is not the most valuable, and nobody is giving up an elite player on a much better deal for him.

And that’s before you even get into team need (positional, cap-wise, etc.) Like it or not, there are numerous players around the league who would not be on the table in a trade for McDavid, and even some teams that wouldn’t take him for free given his cap hit and what they would have to lose to make room for it.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
This is something that Oilers fans just can’t seem to understand. Nobody is going to gut their roster for McDavid only to put themselves in the same place that Edmonton is in now. Especially not a competitive team, which is the only sort of team that would be interested in him with only two years remaining on his deal.

Which brings me to another thing that Oilers fans don’t understand: you have to take the contract (as well as age, trend, etc.) into account when determining value. Even if McDavid is the best player in the league (debatable), he is not the most valuable, and nobody is giving up an elite player on a much better deal for him.

And that’s before you even get into team need (positional, cap-wise, etc.) Like it or not, there are numerous players around the league who would not be on the table in a trade for McDavid, and even some teams that wouldn’t take him for free given his cap hit and what they would have to lose to make room for it.
Your post is a bunch of nonsense and there would be teams jumping to try and make a deal for McDavid but why are you talking to Oilers fans? No one wants him traded, fans from other teams that suggest it.

Reactions: Stealth JD

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Your post is a bunch of nonsense and there would be teams jumping to try and make a deal for McDavid but why are you talking to Oilers fans? No one wants him traded, fans from other teams that suggest it.

Care to elaborate on why my post is “a bunch of nonsense”, or is slamming my position while providing nothing in the way of a well-reasoned argument all you are intellectually capable of?

Also, thank you for proving my point. Oilers fans are delusional regarding McDavid’s value, and instantly turn hostile whenever anyone fails to join in their virtual fellatio of him or attempts to enlighten them as to the reality of the situation.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Care to elaborate on why my post is “a bunch of nonsense”, or is slamming my position while providing nothing in the way of a well-reasoned argument all you are intellectually capable of?

Also, thank you for proving my point. Oilers fans are delusional regarding McDavid’s value, and instantly turn hostile whenever anyone fails to join in their virtual fellatio of him or attempts to enlighten them as to the reality of the situation.
I do think your post is complete nonsense. There would be a lot of great trade options for the Oilers to trade McDavid. No one wants him traded ans he won't be, that is the true reality of the situation.

Reactions: Stealth JD

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I do think your post is complete nonsense. There would be a lot of great trade options for the Oilers to trade McDavid. No one wants him traded ans he won't be, that is the true reality of the situation.

You’re right about one thing and one thing only: McDavid will probably not be traded. He’ll leave in free agency and Edmonton will be left with nothing.

And again, you call my post “nonsense” but provide nothing in the way of intelligent discourse yourself. So I see no point in wasting any more of my time on your posts. I’m through with you.

• Haha

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
You’re right about one thing and one thing only: McDavid will probably not be traded. He’ll leave in free agency and Edmonton will be left with nothing.

And again, you call my post “nonsense” but provide nothing in the way of intelligent discourse yourself. So I see no point in wasting any more of my time on your posts. I’m through with you.
Yes, please do not waste my time old wise one that knows everything and Oiler fans don't understand anything, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad