Value of: McDavid

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Just getting back to the salary cap differential… Connor McDavid signed for 16.667% of the league cap (many restricted years eaten up). When McDavid signs a new contract, I think he would eat a similar % of total cap… and if the cap is about $90M at the time of resigning, that’s a $15M AAV contract. No one would be surprised at that number since he really is the best forward in the league.

Comparing $15M AAV to Hughes $8M AAV, I think you’re getting much better value from Hughes that would allow the Devils to pump up the rest of the team.
Agreed

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
There is no hope of a reasonable return for McDavid so the Oilers should simply make the smart moves right now.

1. Move Draisitl since they can’t afford to resign him. Should return a good haul.

2. Retain 3M and unload Nurse at all costs. Nurse at 6.25M is a decent D man.

3. Buyout Campbell in June.

Sure it means 5M in dead cap for a while but the team is broken.

They can’t afford to re-sign Draisaitl but they can afford $5m in dead cap for the foreseeable future?

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
My offer from the Jets, all great young pieces aside from the guys for capspace. Perfetti is the centerpiece.

- Cole Perfetti (2020 10th overall, one of the Jets best forwards this year)

- Chaz Lucius (2021 first rounder)

- Brad Lambert (2022 first rounder)

For cap purposes:
- Nate Schmidt
- Mason Appleton

• Haha
Reactions: branch

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
hughes i very much doubt. stutzle would be moved in a second for mcdavid. powers too.

draisaitl is for a different thread. in this thread we are trading mcdavid.

not trading Power for Mcdavid unless other pieces on D were brought in.

only way Stuzle could be moved is if its one year from free agency thus extension can be done.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'd give everything for McDavid.

Matthews + 1st

Get it done
How does this solve the Oilers' problem?

Then they'll just suck with Matthews instead of McDavid.

I've said it before --

IF McDavid is getting traded, he will be traded for a quality to quantity deal.

A team trading FOR McDavid would be a contender - meaning that if they acquire him, asking for their 1D and 1G just makes them the Oilers. So that won't happen. You can't make a "value" hockey trade for McDavid. Unless there's teams with 2 #1D and #1G. And they'd need the space to make it work.

What is needed is the Oilers to accept several players for depth in a trade to round out their roster who are young-ish with upside and also willing or contract restricted to to stay in EDM while having a team to provide those specific positions in lower tier players, and that team also needs to have players ready to step in ready to fill those roles again. If you get a player near caliber to McDavid (relatively speaking of course), that doesn't solve their actual problem of no D and G. If McDavid is trade for Matthews + 1st, or Petersson or Hughes or whoever, the + won't be big enough to solve their issues.

Edmonton needs a top 4 D and a #1G.

I think the Flyers here are still a good fit. They can give a lower tier C/W who is lacking opportunity with low cap hits and positional value (Frost/Laughton or even both), a #1G in Hart (with Ersson replacing), several wingers (Tippett/Farabee/Cates) who are top 6 caliber, and a top 4 RHD in Walker/Risto. It's not without risk, on both sides. Those are just example players - obviously from a value perspective, any singular piece can be asked for by EDM, but like I said, that won't solve their problem of depth and position - and the higher value piece asked for reduces the depth that can be asked. Unless you're getting Makar/Fox/Q Hughes (which the other team won't do because again - they are contenders and need those players), 1 for 1 replacements don't make sense either because EDM needs D AND G. In addition, the Flyers can also take on Campbell and cap, allowing the Oilers the freedom to trade their 1sts or whatever for additional assets with cap space. I do think these two teams are good trading partners if the Flyers 'abandon their rebuild' - which is entirely possible due to Torts, and they certainly will if a player of this caliber is feasible to acquire.

So EDM needs to accept a quality for quantity deal for players, maybe dumping salary in the process to acquire even more depth to actually become a team.

It's a hard pill to swallow, but you're going to lose whatever trade McDavid is in. You do it to acquire depth; not just a replacement. Just my thoughts.

So maybe something like Frost, Laughton, Tippet, Risto, Hart for McDavid + Campbell. Cates can be swapped in if C or defensive presence is more important. I used RIsto because Walker is UFA, and Risto is signed for 3 more years. Couple of young-ish players with upside, signed/RFA type, and 1 elite (Hart). Flyers cap is roughly $17M, as is McDavid + Campbell, so additional dump can be included because that's salary neutral for EDM to then leverage their picks/prospects for more depth.

This frees up cap from EDM, keeps their firsts, rounds out their forward core, adds a defenseman, and gets them a 1G. I think this makes them a better TEAM. EDM needs depth, Flyers need star power. If EDM can swallow the "best player team wins the trade" type of mentality (because the best player in the world being traded automatically means you lose that by said definition), something can be worked out IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORHawksFan

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
When you say “two top 6 wingers”, I would think better quality than Vilardi and Iafallo. One is a 2nd/3rd line older player, the other one is injury prone and still not a proven player.
Absolutley. Why I said a lot more than that.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Drai would have to go first and if that's the case, you blow it all up for high end futures and head straight into a rebuild. McDavid has a full NMC, so regardless of offer, he'll decide where he goes.

This discussion happens in the 2025 off season IMO. Drai would be gone and the Oilers can retain on a 1 year deal for McDavid which opens up the possibilities.

Return would have to be:
- One of the teams top 3 young players
- Multiple 1sts
- Top prospect

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
He has a full NMC - if they ever were to trade him its because hes made it clear he wants to go.

He would pick 1-3 teams he'd likely be willing to go to.

The return would be enormous, both in futures and cap-related pieces.

Leafs offer (next offseason, no chance its in-season)

Knies
Cowan
Minten
Kampf (money)
3 firsts

for

Mcdavid 50% retained.

Edit: They can't trade Marner/Matthews/Tavares as they all have NMC. Willy is of no use to Edmonton if they're trading McDavid.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Best player scorer on your team

Whoever gets McDavid is going to have to finally teach him how to play a 200' game, unless they just want him to score a lot and fill the stadium without any real hopes of contending, i.e., pretty much the same as where he is now with the Oilers.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Whoever gets McDavid is going to have to finally teach him how to play a 200' game, unless they just want him to score a lot and fill the stadium without any real hopes of contending, i.e., pretty much the same as where he is now with the Oilers.
Nah. Just surround him with a competent defensively sound team. Let him do his thing.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think Buffalo could be an interesting trading partner

Something around Cozens + Power + picks

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Still the best player on the team. Surround him better.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
mcdavid selke incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad