Confirmed with Link: Matteau to MTL for Devante Smith-Pelly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
You all are continuing to fall for the bait.....

Was just going to say this lol, it's quite fascinating.

Im not as active on this forum as I used to be on the hockey side of things, but I'm reading through the past few pages of this thread thinking, "who the **** is this Aethon guy"? I see your post and go back to his account and see it's Jim! His posts back in the Kovy days were gold :laugh:

No disrespect at all Jim, I love the contrarian viewpoints you tend to take. It's entertaining and you're not just flat out trolling.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And again, what Matteau is as a player is completely irrelevant to my point.

I am not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp, we traded a former 1st rounder for a guy who was literally one step away from being available for free this summer after Montreal most likely walked away from resigning him.

You cannot come to any other conclusion than piss poor asset management.

A pick for Matteau would've been much more advantageous for New Jersey OR giving up a low pick for Pelly would've been better for us as well...but throwing away an undeveloped former 1st round asset for what really is the type of player you can pick up for nothing is just bad management...

A pick that had maybe a 10% chance (if that) of being what DSP is now. If anyone could, FMASC could give chapter and verse over how many 2nd/3rd rounders ever become 200+ game NHL players. I'd wager that number is low and that's presuming you could even get a 2nd/3rd back for Matteau which wasn't likely.

If there was bad asset management it was drafting Matteau that high in the first place. What you're advocating is akin to buying a stock, watching it go down the tube and then holding onto it when there's no sign it'll go back up to anywhere near the amount you paid for it and there's far more of a chance it plummets further instead of cashing in your losses and investing in another potentially undervalued stock, which is essentially what Shero did.

And even if you could give up a 5th/6th for DSP (there's no evidence of that other than perception) - what's that going to do for Matteau in terms of asset management? He wouldn't have played any more going forward and only would have played less next year when more young guys started beating him out.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He's using the sunk cost fallacy. It's much better asset management to cut ties with a known useless turd than to hang on to him because he happened to be a 1st round pick.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
You guys have completely misunderstood me here. My comments really have nothing to do with Matteau. Not even a little. To me Matteau was an asset that was mishandled by both regimes, and thrown away. Getting less value than they should have had they took the time to develop him and give him the opportunity.

This issue for me is trading a forward prospect for a limited player. Yeah it is nice and all that Pelly has 10 points in 9 games but any reasonable person looking at his career would fully understand that there hasn't been much of anything there. This is a guy that had opportunity with Getzlaf and Perry on multiple occasions so don't tell me his numbers are because of usage...

So this is a player that had 21 goals in 195 before he got here - Pelly literally just scored a quarter of his career goals here in New Jersey in 9 games... 25% here. and is a RFA with arbitration rights at the end of this seasom.

Sorry dudes, Matteau can be bubble gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe...But trading a two year younger player, signed for another year that hasn't been given an opportunity for a 4th liner is terrible, terrible, terrible asset management. Just is.

I'm in disagreement about the 4th liner tag. 3rd liner who can spot on higher lines imo

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
And again, what Matteau is as a player is completely irrelevant to my point.

I am not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp, we traded a former 1st rounder for a guy who was literally one step away from being available for free this summer after Montreal most likely walked away from resigning him.

because you're against the trade due to principles and hypotheticals, while everyone else is focused on the reality.

Matteau was mishandled, yes. That's on lou thou. Is it better to stick it out and try to force someone to develop in the NHL who clearly isnt cutting it and can't be sent to the AHL, or is it better to cut your losses and get an immediate upgrade over both the player and at a position of need?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Chasing results without regard for any principles is usually a bad long-term approach.

But results beat principles every time. We won the trade. For now.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Chasing results without regard for any principles is usually a bad long-term approach.

But results beat principles every time. We won the trade. For now.

For sure, but solely sticking to your principles can blind you to what is actually the best option for your team

See: Lamoriello, Lou

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well since he has two points this season

I guess I can now call him Matt-2!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
if he can put up 20-25 points next year, I would consider that a success.

If you're referring to Matteau I'd consider that a success. DSP I wouldn't, unless you just mean in relation to Matteau being a success or for some reason we made enough additions that he was strictly a 3rd/4th line player the whole year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you're referring to Matteau I'd consider that a success. DSP I wouldn't, unless you just mean in relation to Matteau being a success or for some reason we made enough additions that he was strictly a 3rd/4th line player the whole year.

I am talking about Smith-Pelly

you wouldn't be happy with 25 points from DSP next year? come on

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I am talking about Smith-Pelly

you wouldn't be happy with 25 points from DSP next year? come on

Not unless they make another legit top six addition at RW and Palmeri/top six addition don't get hurt the whole year. Even then 25's about on the meh side for a third-liner especially if you have Boucher/Blandisi also on the third line. I mean right now DSP would be penciled into the top six without said addition so no 25 points wouldn't be acceptable for that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'd be more shocked if DSP scored less then 20 goals then I would be if he scored over 30.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd be more shocked if DSP scored less then 20 goals then I would be if he scored over 30.

Now this is really drinking the Kool-Aid ;)

I do think if you put him in a top six he'd score 20 but I ain't buying 30 yet...I gotta see that one to believe it.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he's like a 30-35 point player.

Which is good, because we didn't have a single 30-35 point caliber player all year.

It's a few 40+ guys, then a bunch of 15-20 and under 15 point guys. Our third line has been a joke all year.

Since we are the worst offensive team in the NHL this year, there's no way anyone can argue against saying our 3rd line was by far the worst 3rd line in the NHL. And no even just by a little bit either. Any team with a 3rd line this bad, would have to have one of the best top 6's in the entire league.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He doesn't have 30 goals in his ENTIRE career. LoL.

He has 28 career goals in over 200 career games. 25% of those 28 goals came in the last 9 games.

He's averaged 8.8 goals per 82 games over his career before he got here. To get to 20, he needs to better his 195 game career average by about 2.5 times.

Even now, with this crazy hot streak he has 13 goals in 55 games this season. That averaged over a full season is still shy of the 20 goal mark.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He doesn't have 30 goals in his ENTIRE career. LoL.

He has 28 career goals in over 200 career games. 25% of those 28 goals came in the last 9 games.

He's averaged 8.8 goals per 82 games over his career before he got here. To get to 20, he needs to better his 195 game career average by about 2.5 times.

Even now, with this crazy hot streak he has 13 goals in 55 games this season. That averaged over a full season is still shy of the 20 goal mark.

All the indicators point towards upward trending. 2nd line RW with PP time next season? I think 20 goals is a lock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad