Confirmed with Link: Matteau to MTL for Devante Smith-Pelly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
I think that either directly, or indirectly, Jim has contributed about 90% of the posts in this thread. 900 posts about this trade is insane.

A true genius!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He just hasn't been given the right opportunities. :sarcasm:

Over 4 years Matteau has played 550 minutes. - 109 of those minutes are with Montreal. So with NJ he's had 441 minutes over 4 years.

For a little perspective:

Jiri Tlusty in 30 games has played 411 minutes this season

Franham has played 426 minutes this season.

Ruutu has played 338 minutes this season.

O'Niell played 228 minutes this season.

Tad bit of perspective, wouldn't you say?

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Over 4 years Matteau has played 550 minutes.

For a little perspective:

Jiri Tlusty in 30 games has played 411 minutes this season

Franham has played 426 minutes this season.

Ruutu has played 338 minutes this season.

O'Niell played 228 minutes this season.

Tad bit of perspective, wouldn't you say?

Give me DSP 10/10 times with the way he has responded to coming here.

Not saying Matteau couldn't develop more with solid minutes but I don't see it, and if I did I still like DSP a lot more and I was a big Matteau supporter.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
DSP is now almost at a PPG pace in 20+ games played in the top 9 this season. Pretty solid for a 23 year old. The future is bright.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
there's literally 0 data suggesting Matteau would be better with added minutes, and boat loads suggesting DSP is

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Ice time in the NHL is earned, not handed out for free. Why should Matteau have been given more ice time when he couldn't even handle shifts as a 4th liner?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Ice time in the NHL is earned, not handed out for free. Why should Matteau have been given more ice time when he couldn't even handle shifts as a 4th liner?

Because he was a first rounder and that somehow entitles him to more time even though he's never shown any skill or produced at any level.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

While the gist of this is true with Matteau we're going down a real slippery slope here considering some of the other scrubs that get icetime. It's usually a combination of earning icetime and other factors that come into play. They never felt Matteau fit their system from day one. He never proved them wrong, and hasn't yet since leaving.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I completely, unequivocally 100% agree.

Now explain to me how O'Neill, Ruutu and Tlusty "earned" their ice time. Or freakin Josefson for that matter.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Now explain to me how O'Neill, Ruutu and Tlusty "earned" their ice time. Or freakin Josefson for that matter.

Josefson is a center, is pretty good defensively, great in the shootout and power play. O'neill and Tlusty were given a shot because I guess they're viewed as "skill guys"..O'neill produced really well in the AHL and was given a shot to see if he could cut it in the NHL(too long of a shot) and Tlusty has had NHL success in the past. Ruutuu just sucks ass and doesn't belong in the NHL..not much can be said to defend him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Josefson is a solid defensive player that also performs well on special teams. He's a perfect player for a 4th line and Matteau can only dream of even playing solid hockey like he does.

O'Neill, Ruutu, and Tlusty are all bad players, but they are better than Matteau. Matteau also played 201 minutes in 20 games for us this season, so throwing out 550 in 4 years to compare to guys who have played 200-400 minutes this season is being disingenuous. The difference between Matteau and O'Neill is that O'Neill played 2 more games for us this season.

Matteau being a terrible hockey player has been further reinforced by the fact that Montreal clearly doesn't think much of him either. He is only averaging 49 seconds more per game with Montreal than with us and they have already had him as a healthy scratch.

DSP is miles better as a hockey player, and this trade was a clear win to everyone, except you it seems, before DSP even played a game.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Over 4 years Matteau has played 550 minutes. - 109 of those minutes are with Montreal. So with NJ he's had 441 minutes over 4 years.

Yeah, maybe because he was in the minors or Juniors for 3 of those years?

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Josefson actually produced some points, and has helped out the power play. Even though he's not producing many points at all and should be a 4th liner.

If Matteau had produced a little more offense, I maintain that he would have been given more of a chance. But he had the worst PPG of any forward on the name not named Ruutu.

And his PPG was even worse than most of the defensemen on this team too. Merrill went over 20 games before getting a point, but no one else on the back end was even as bad at offense as Matteau had been this year.

Tlusty had a proven track record as an offense producer before this year. For some reason, he just fell off a cliff sometime in the past year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Josefson actually produced some points, and has helped out the power play. Even though he's not producing many points at all and should be a 4th liner.

If Matteau had produced a little more offense, I maintain that he would have been given more of a chance. But he had the worst PPG of any forward on the name not named Ruutu.

And his PPG was even worse than most of the defensemen on this team too. Merrill went over 20 games before getting a point, but no one else on the back end was even as bad at offense as Matteau had been this year.

Tlusty had a proven track record as an offense producer before this year. For some reason, he just fell off a cliff sometime in the past year.

And with 1 measly goal, he had a better Points/60 5v5 than almost every single bottom 6 player that has played this season.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
And with 1 measly goal, he had a better Points/60 5v5 than almost every single bottom 6 player that has played this season.

Wasn't that goal misplayed by the goalie? If he didn't show enough in practice to play over Tootoo or Gio then he didn't deserve to play. Just let yourself be happy. We turned him into a useful RW.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wasn't that goal misplayed by the goalie? If he didn't show enough in practice to play over Tootoo or Gio then he didn't deserve to play. Just let yourself be happy. We turned him into a useful RW.

I'd rather we turned a 4th round pick into a useful RW. Is that really an absurd or outrageous thought?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'd rather we turned a 4th round pick into a useful RW. Is that really an absurd or outrageous thought?

You aren't getting a DSP for a 4th round pick, nor are you trading some of the trash we had for him. Trading Matteau works because he's still young and another team hopes to turn him around, but he was expendable to us because he played like ****.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

That's not outrageous. But who knows if that would've got DSP? Maybe they wanted a roster player? Management didn't like him and we moved him for a guy who's fit in great. There's no changing what happened, and whatever "mismanagement" occurred was under Lou, not Shero. Shero moved a guy that wasn't working out for a guy who is working out at a position we needed more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad