Rumor: Matt Sekeres (Daily Hive) - Winnipeg Jets team to watch on JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Except he isn’t. He’s about 5 goals short of that. If you are going by points he is tied with Adam Fox and Fox is not a locker room cancer who got traded off two contending teams and having article reporting he has divided a locker room against Captain.
Yeah I am going by points. Not sure why you are bringing Fox in the convo, it’s not like rumors are about you guys trading for Fox or Miller.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
And if you want Stanley and Vesalainen, then great. Otherwise, the point about trading valuable assets on Miller at this point in time for the Jets still stands.
I don’t know why you guys would be in, not sure it makes sense unless your management team feels like Miller locks you guys into contending status or maybe they feel that he is cheap cap wise and it allows you guys to go all in and get even more this trade deadline to get to that contender state.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Sounds like this was a rumor from the start of the season, not recently. PLD has been great this year, Mark has been solid after recovering from COVID. Jets have no need for JT, he's a good player with a short term contract..........I don't see the Jets having any interest now, especially at the cost to get him.

Reactions: hn777

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Canucks fans sure are dreaming big. Necas+Drury, Newhook+Barron, Schneider+Kravtsov+1st, Perfetti+Heinola.

Miller is great and he’s not a rental. He’s a legit first liner. He’s also not a superstar and he’s got 1.5 years of good contract left.

A package including a 1st, a really solid prospect who maybe was a recent later 1st and is trending well, another nice pick, and a youngish NHLer who maybe needs a change of scenery but has upside…I mean that is probably more what we are looking at.

I will be shocked if teams give young NHLers with big upside who are already critical pieces of their team (Necas, Jarvis, Newhook) or crown jewel prospects who occupy a unique projection position for their clubs (Schneider, Perfetti).

There’s delusion fans with every base.

A package of lesser pieces or one of the aforementioned would be nice. JT Miller is a good player.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
Just stop… maybe he was back in the rangers days. Rangers should go try and pry hertl out of San Jose. Miller can go to a contender. So much hate on for him. Pretty sure most teams would be better for having him on their team.

we get it…. Everyone wants him at a reasonable return level. Can say that about most player options. If he’s actually available he will be one of the top few options on the market between now/trade deadline. Whether your personal opinion of his character has any legs or not.
Rangers acquire Hertl to be 3C? Lmao

he was traded previously for a late first and 3rd. He was traded for a late second and Howden.

I would say his value is in that range considering less control and he’s still same p/60 that he was years ago.
Can you explain why he was sold dirt cheap twice? Why are Canucks shopping him if he’s the leader in locker room. Canucks have made moves that imply they are contenders. You don’t bring in Bruce and JR just to rebuild

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Why wouldn't we ask/expect a return like that though? We're not desperate to move him and still have a realistic chance at the playoffs. Moving him now means giving up on the season. Can always wait till July to see his contact expectations and move him in the summer or next deadline.

Yeah. In my mind, his return should be roughly typical trade deadline return for 1st line players (1st + 2nd/3rd + solid prospect + a little salary coming back), plus an extra 1st. If its not that, why would the Canucks trade him now rather than keeping him and trading him in the offseason or next season, when they could get the typical trade deadline return?

Not saying Perfetti, etc.. will be available, but Miller will return a haul from someone.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Big Fan of Samberg

watched so much of him,
that Anderson/samberg pairing at Duluth played such an NHL style game. always thought he was an underrated prospect that could be a 2nd pairing unit.

but they are going to be targeting a right shot d-man

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
It has to be incredible value because trading Miller would hurt a lot. So yes, you'll probably see Canucks fans asking for the moon but there's really no other reason to trade him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Unless Perfetti is on the table, there really isn't much of a fit with Winnipeg for a Miller trade. That's just how it is.

I actually think Gawanke/Chisholm project as NHLers and are decent pieces, but the Canucks aren't going to accept Gawanke + 1st for Miller.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Insiders have said teams are calling on miller. Hence all these (ridiculous) miller trade threads. There hasn’t been many leaks/rumours on trading horvat, probably as he’s our captain. It’s an even longer shot. But sure if someone offers you their arm and leg for bo then we’d listen. We also feel jt may not resign in 2yrs so moving him at peak value is a no-brainer (if he won’t be here for long).

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Insiders have said teams are calling on miller. Hence all these (ridiculous) miller trade threads. There hasn’t been many leaks/rumours on trading horvat, probably as he’s our captain. It’s an even longer shot. But sure if someone offers you their arm and leg for bo then we’d listen. We also feel jt may not resign in 2yrs so moving him at peak value is a no-brainer (if he won’t be here for long).

I doubt Horvat will be moved, or at least at this TDL. I feel like trading Horvat and Miller is the right long term move for the team but I don’t think that will happen. Miller being traded is possible, but once Miller is moved how do you convince Horvat to stay? Miller is our best forward and without him the top 6 opens up a huge hole, basically Horvat is the only legit centre who can win face offs, you’re not going very far in that case. I have a very hard time seeing how moving Miller doesn’t trigger Horvat wanting out as a UFA, especially given he had to see guys like Tanev and Markstrom walk a few seasons ago who he was close to. Once Miller is moved it’s basically a sign of a retooling/taking a step back which it sounds like Horvat wants no part of.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I doubt Horvat will be moved, or at least at this TDL. I feel like trading Horvat and Miller is the right long term move for the team but I don’t think that will happen. Miller being traded is possible, but once Miller is moved how do you convince Horvat to stay? Miller is our best forward and without him the top 6 opens up a huge hole, basically Horvat is the only legit centre who can win face offs, you’re not going very far in that case. I have a very hard time seeing how moving Miller doesn’t trigger Horvat wanting out as a UFA, especially given he had to see guys like Tanev and Markstrom walk a few seasons ago who he was close to. Once Miller is moved it’s basically a sign of a retooling/taking a step back which it sounds like he wants no part of.
I mean one way or the other something has to give… so you hang on to both miller and bo. Still a fringe playoff team and they potentially both walk to UFA? I get what you’re saying. No matter what we do there will be a substantial hole. But got to start somewhere. Our D needs revamped and there’s no money to fix that area (without freeing up contracts). Drafting and developing from within is very important so at least accumulating picks could be beneficial (long term, maybe not so much in the now).

Reactions: iFan

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Rangers acquire Hertl to be 3C? Lmao

he was traded previously for a late first and 3rd. He was traded for a late second and Howden.

I would say his value is in that range considering less control and he’s still same p/60 that he was years ago.
Can you explain why he was sold dirt cheap twice? Why are Canucks shopping him if he’s the leader in locker room. Canucks have made moves that imply they are contenders. You don’t bring in Bruce and JR just to rebuild
Let's see here... NYR trade him to TBL due to Yzerman requesting him in the McDonagh trade. His best season was 56 pts and was widely regarded as a high end 3rd liner/low end 2nd liner.
TBL have a cap crunch and of the 4 players that made the most sense to move, 3 had NTCs. Canucks made the best offer and they sold low. Usually happens when you need to dump cap, and they still made out good.
Comes to Van as a 50-60 pt guy and just explodes offensively. Turns into a ppg player, just game reaches a new level, and now finds himself on a team needing to retool itself for the future. He is worth a hell of a lot more than what we paid for him. He evolved his game and became a top 20 scorer.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
But Canucks fans say he is a top 20 player in the league……
He is.....

Winnipeg doesn't have a RHD we need so the offer must include Perfetti or we gladly look elsewhere. Canucks have all the power this deadline. Miller is in his prime, on an amazing contract, has been a top 15 NHL forward this year and has 2 years left on his deal. No rush to move him at all. We'll gladly keep him if the offer isn't there.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I honestly don't see it happening. I love Miller, but I just can't see the Jets trading for him.

I imagine Vancouver would want Chaz Lucius and a 2022 1st and I don't see us making the playoffs right now.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Except he isn’t. He’s about 5 goals short of that. If you are going by points he is tied with Adam Fox and Fox is not a locker room cancer who got traded off two contending teams and having article reporting he has divided a locker room against Captain.

Your handle is Overrateprospects, it seems like you UnderratePros.
JT Miller has been fantastic for the Canucks this season (and since the trade, obviously), scoring clutch goals and dragging the team into the fight even when things were looking impossibly bleak. There was never rift between he and Bo Horvat, it was our local media trying to create news during a really tough stretch of piss-poor hockey.

He is a tobacco-spittin' outdoorsy American man , that does not have time for City slickers. The guy is being asked to carry the team, and compensate for our struggling metrosexual Swede and small forward group.

There is no attitude problem - he's the only guy with the right attitude.
That said, the writing is on the wall in Vancouver... we need to get younger and retool this thing quickly.

So, quit underrating a genuinely fantastic hockey player that any team would love to have, and show us your best offer.

Reactions: EP to Kuzmenko

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I wonder what the 4th team to be rumored will be...
Also maybe a deal that gives us assets to get Chych out of Arizona. Hughes has said he likes, and can play the right side.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Totally fair and unrealistic ask… I am just not sure through what jets could offer. Would start with a first but beyond that not sure heinola is the right fit and/or enough to make this deal happen.

As I said in the thread either, JT is a fine player and perhaps one the Jets kicked the tires on early in the season before they knew what they had in PLD……but now the Jets clearly have two 1C in Mark & PLD and don’t need a third one. Jets are surely no interest in JT at this stage due to the growth of PLD and already having Mark. Other teams would significantly out bid the Jets due to this.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Canucks fans are going to see what Duchene got a few years ago and expect something similar. That was a big haul at the time. I think that's the template everyone expects out of this trade.

Yeah. Duchene was able to get such a large return because they got the return of Turris as well. Plus Sakic waited a long time to get the return he wanted. Ottawa was desperate to keep Karlsson. Duchene isn't the market value for Miller.

That being said, the Canucks should be looking at a young NHLer or top prospect as a centerpiece for Miller. Especially at 50%. 1st+B prospect deals should not get it done, when he could return that as a rental next year. If teams want a 1c making 5.25m for two playoff runs it won't be cheap. If teams don't want to pay the price we will keep him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad