Rumor: Matt Sekeres (Daily Hive) - Winnipeg Jets team to watch on JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
In either JT or Brock's case I'd ask for Logan Stanley plus one of the Jets' young prospect C's (maybe not Perfetti if the Jets refuse to trade him). That or DeMelo plus a young prospect C with upside, and given the cost to acquire a #1 C/ bonafide 1st liner that's the price to get them.
Deal.
Stanley /DeMelo + young C prospect (not Perfetti) for Boeser

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
No chance. The Jet's brass could be about done with Schiefme's act though. That would be a straight up deal.

LMAO.

They are the same age, that's about where the similarities end.
Scheifele is signed for an extra year (albeit at a higher, but still reasonable cap hit), and has averaged 18 more points per 82 games over his career.

Even the last 3 years, Scheifele has more points and more goals in fewer games.

I don't have any idea why the Jets would be interested in Miller. He's a fine player, don't get me wrong, but with Scheifele, Dubois, Statsny, Lowry, Copp, etc.... the center position is definitely not their biggest need, and Miller isn't a huge upgrade over their top 2.

Reactions: Huffer

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
LMAO.

They are the same age, that's about where the similarities end.
Scheifele is signed for an extra year (albeit at a higher, but still reasonable cap hit), and has averaged 18 more points per 82 games over his career.

Even the last 3 years, Scheifele has more points and more goals in fewer games.

I don't have any idea why the Jets would be interested in Miller. He's a fine player, don't get me wrong, but with Scheifele, Dubois, Statsny, Lowry, Copp, etc.... the center position is definitely not their biggest need, and Miller isn't a huge upgrade over their top 2.
Agreed.
Boeser should be the target in Vancouver. Jets need an RW upgrade and Boeser is a young Phil Kessel style player… exactly what Winnipeg needs on the Connor-PLD RW.
Miller does nothing for the team.
I’d offer up Stanley/Heinola/DeMelo + a young C prospect not named Perfetti for Boeser.
If the Jets decide to trade Scheifele, which I think they should, then you use him to upgrade the top pairing RHD.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Agreed.
Boeser should be the target in Vancouver. Jets need an RW upgrade and Boeser is a young Phil Kessel style player… exactly what Winnipeg needs on the Connor-PLD RW.

1) Jets can't afford Boeser's cap hit unless salary is going back
2) Wheeler actually looked pretty good just before he went down to injury
3) Perfetti has fit in really well with PLD and Connor. If not for puck luck, he'd have 3 or 4 points over the last 3 games

Connor - PLD - Wheeler / Perfetti
Copp - Scheifele - Ehlers
Stats - Lowry - Perfetti / Wheeler

Is actually a pretty solid top 9 and while Boeser may be an immediate upgrade over a couple of those guys (Stats, Perfetti, maybe Copp), I don't really see that as a need either.

The Jets are super deep on defence, but lack that true number one. If anyone on Vancouver, I'd be looking at Hughes or OEL, and I don't think either of those guys would be available.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
3) Perfetti has fit in really well with PLD and Connor. If not for puck luck, he'd have 3 or 4 points over the last 3 games

Is actually a pretty solid top 9 and while Boeser may be an immediate upgrade over a couple of those guys (Stats, Perfetti, maybe Copp), I don't really see that as a need either.

The Jets are super deep on defence, but lack that true number one. If anyone on Vancouver, I'd be looking at Hughes or OEL, and I don't think either of those guys would be available.
Personally, I think this team needs a leadership/culture change and that’s all Wheeler and Scheifele.
Wheeler is a 3rd liner at best and declining fast… he should be moved or bought out to make room for an upgrade, and create cap space.
Scheifele should be moved to upgrade our top pairing RD with an RHD, making Schmidt unnecessary and moveable.
I’ve run the numbers and buying out Wheeler and trading Scheifele and Schmidt, gives us plenty of cap space to upgrade our RW and RD and to sign PLD and others.
We just let Beaulieu walk and could move DeMelo and/or Dillon if needed to make room for Samberg or Heinola

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah I really hate when people do that. Mentioning how many years a player has left under contract while thinking prospects are going to be ELC forever.
How many teams have the cap space to give him that raise?especially if they give up const controlled assets to get him.
Hockey is a business. Not a video game

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Agreed.
I’d offer up Stanley/Heinola/DeMelo + a young C prospect not named Perfetti for Boeser.
If the Jets decide to trade Scheifele, which I think they should, then you use him to upgrade the top pairing RHD.

Personally not interested in paying a price to acquire Boeser, and then subsequently having to extend him long term on a deal I don't think he's going to be worth. There could be other wingers that might be available that could be had for much less IMO.

0 interest personally in dealing Scheifele either.

Reactions: Snowman

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Personally not interested in paying a price to acquire Boeser, and then subsequently having to extend him long term on a deal I don't think he's going to be worth. There could be other wingers that might be available that could be had for much less IMO.

I agree. Winnipeg should have no interest in Boeser. He'll cost too much to acquire and his extension will make it harder to sign players the Jets actually need and as you said he'll be hard pressed to live up to the cost of his extension.

Boeser would be a nice luxury if the Jets could afford him, but he's definitely not a need.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands

While this would leave the Vancouver D in even worse shambles than it is, sure. What do you want to give for OEL? The contract is no good, despite the Arizona retainment.

Hughes is untouchable.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

I agree. Winnipeg should have no interest in Boeser. He'll cost too much to acquire and his extension will make it harder to sign players the Jets actually need and as you said he'll be hard pressed to live up to the cost of his extension.

Boeser would be a nice luxury if the Jets could afford him, but he's definitely not a need.
An RW upgrade is an absolute need, and Boeser should be the top of the list. He’s exactly the type of player the Jets need and would fit perfectly on Connor and PLDs RW.
We have become a left handed club, which is a detriment and predictable to play against. We need righties to change things up.
We need a culture/leadership change and buying out Wheeler, trading Scheife and Schmidt would accomplish that and give us the cap space to extend PLD at 7.5x8, Boeser at 7x7, Stastny at 2.5x1, and extend Vesa and Svech at 1.25x2 each.
We’d also have cap room to pay an upgrade RHD.
The team would be better, more versatile, and less predictable.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
While this would leave the Vancouver D in even worse shambles than it is, sure. What do you want to give for OEL? The contract is no good, despite the Arizona retainment.

Hughes is untouchable.

Significant salary would have to go back, and the only low hanging fruit for Winnipeg is Wheeler. He has a NTC and I don't think Vancouver would have an interest there anyway. Not enough room to make it work.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
An RW upgrade is an absolute need, and Boeser should be the top of the list. He’s exactly the type of player the Jets need and would fit perfectly on Connor and PLDs RW.
We have become a left handed club, which is a detriment and predictable to play against. We need righties to change things up.
We need a culture/leadership change and buying out Wheeler, trading Scheife and Schmidt would accomplish that and give us the cap space to extend PLD at 7.5x8, Boeser at 7x7, Stastny at 2.5x1, and extend Vesa and Svech at 1.25x2 each.

Losing Scheif, Wheeler and Schmidt for Boeser and Miller makes them better? Nope.

Reactions: Snowman

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Losing Scheif, Wheeler and Schmidt for Boeser and Miller makes them better? Nope.
Not Miller… no room for him.
Perfetti is ready for the 2C slot.
Boeser is a huge upgrade over Wheeler… massive, gigantic, upgrade
A top pairing RHD upgrade is a step up from Schmidt… easily
Perfetti isn’t an improvement in Scheif, but he’s young and will improve, plus changing the culture and leadership is a big step forward.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Not Miller… no room for him.
Perfetti is ready for the 2C slot.
Boeser is a huge upgrade over Wheeler… massive, gigantic, upgrade
A top pairing RHD upgrade is a step up from Schmidt… easily
Perfetti isn’t an improvement in Scheif, but he’s young and will improve, plus changing the culture and leadership is a big step forward.

1) So Perfetti is currently on the roster playing on the 1B line. No change there and it didn't cost anything.

2) Boeser vs Wheeler.. I get he's slowing down and overpriced, but Wheeler has 17 points in 22 games this year. Boeser has 19 in 33 games. Last 2 years, 63 points in 72 games for Wheeler vs 68 points in 89 games for Boeser. That's your huge / massive / gigantic upgrade?

3) Who's an available top RHD? Let's start there before they dump Schmidt

So, Schmidt, Scheifele Wheeler out, Boeser and 2 magic beans in, and the Jets are a better team?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
While I agree that they Jets could use a culture change, we both know that unless Wheeler asks to be bought out or moved, there is no chance the Jets buy him out. So, that kind of kills your idea right there.

I'm not ready to give up on Scheifele yet, but if a trade presented itself that would make the Jets better or that they could at least break even on, I could understand exploring it. But the odds of that happening are pretty much non-existent.

For Schmidt, why would the Jets trade one of their better defenseman to make room for a mythical RHD upgrade that isn't out there? The Jets spent two seasons trying to upgrade their defense and finally did that last summer and now you want them to throw that away just in case this mythical RHD becomes available. I know you've said before that you don't believe Schmidt when he says that he never turned down a trade to Winnipeg and harbour a grudge against him for that, but you need to get over it and think logically on this instead of emotionally trying to punish him because you think he doesn't like Winnipeg.

As I said, Boeser would be a nice luxury, but he's had trouble living up to his current contract so I think there's very little chance he lives up to his next contract. The Jets had a better version of Boeser and traded him away to better the team, there's no point in going backwards.

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
1) So Perfetti is currently on the roster playing on the 1B line. No change there and it didn't cost anything.

2) Boeser vs Wheeler.. I get he's slowing down and overpriced, but Wheeler has 17 points in 22 games this year. Boeser has 19 in 33 games. Last 2 years, 63 points in 72 games for Wheeler vs 68 points in 89 games for Boeser. That's your huge / massive / gigantic upgrade?

3) Who's an available top RHD? Let's start there before they dump Schmidt

So, Schmidt, Scheifele Wheeler out, Boeser and 2 magic beans in, and the Jets are a better team?
You put Boeser with Connor and PLD and his numbers improve.

Top pairing RHD… no idea, but with Scheif as a return, I’m sure we get options.

Scheifele and Wheeler out is addition by subtraction as you’re losing their attitudes and poor leadership. Yes, there’s a step down, but it’s a temporary one and as this team isn’t a contender right now, there’s nothing to lose in making these moves to improve next year and/or the year after that.
We aren’t winning shit with Wheeler dragging us down and costing us 8+m per year. Not to mention his and Scheifele’s lousy leadership.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
You put Boeser with Connor and PLD and his numbers improve.

Top pairing RHD… no idea, but with Scheif as a return, I’m sure we get options.

Scheifele and Wheeler out is addition by subtraction as you’re losing their attitudes and poor leadership. Yes, there’s a step down, but it’s a temporary one and as this team isn’t a contender right now, there’s nothing to lose in making these moves to improve next year and/or the year after that.
We aren’t winning shit with Wheeler dragging us down and costing us 8+m per year. Not to mention his and Scheifele’s lousy leadership.

So Wheeler is dragging them down with his .97 PPG over the last 3 years, while Boeser's 0.82 PPG is just what they need. Plus Wheeler brings far more intangibles. This seems to b a personal issue for you...

Reactions: Snowman and Huffer

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
boeser has 1 year of rfa left with a qualifying offer of 7.5 million, why would he sign long term for anything less then that?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That would be terrible, Canucks gave up more for UFA Toffoli who played 14 games for Canucks and was a much lesser player compared to Miller now at time of trade.

...Umm yeah. Which is why I said the Canucks would not accept it. Not sure why you're flipping out on me.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Significant salary would have to go back, and the only low hanging fruit for Winnipeg is Wheeler. He has a NTC and I don't think Vancouver would have an interest there anyway. Not enough room to make it work.

Doesn't sound like a match, then. The only reason the Canucks have to deal OEL is to clear his contract. He is a serviceable top 4 d-man that would be paid accordingly at 4 or 5 mil/per.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Can Miller play RW? Jets offense is already loaded but if they get Miller, they're the best team down the left side. Imagine having Ehlers, Connor and Miller on 3 seperate lines.

This would give them 4 legit scoring lines.

Connor-Dubois-Perfetti
Ehlers-Schiefele-Wheeler
Miller-Copp-Stastny
Veralainen-Lowry-Svenchnikov

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Can Miller play RW? Jets offense is already loaded but if they get Miller, they're the best team down the left side. Imagine having Ehlers, Connor and Miller on 3 seperate lines.

Connor-Dubois-Perfetti
Ehlers-Schiefele-Wheeler
Miller-Lowry-Svenchnikov
Veralainen-Suess-Stastny

He can realistically play all 3 positions, which is why he's so valuable.

That and the cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad