Confirmed with Link: Mathieu Joseph traded to Blues

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Jeez back to rehashing everything. Read previous convos this has been beaten to death now. Not putting this on Dorion, and no one gets to own it except Staios at this point. Coaching change is bad as well, went from unproven coach to one that already proven to have no better success. Other moves equally uninspiring. Seems like some people are still more than happy to just keep drinking the Kool aid, I thought we'd all know better by now after the previous leadership, guess not. If this is what best in class looks like, God help us all.
You gonna be ok?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Jeez back to rehashing everything. Read previous convos this has been beaten to death now. Not putting this on Dorion, and no one gets to own it except Staios at this point. Coaching change is bad as well, went from unproven coach to one that already proven to have no better success. Other moves equally uninspiring. Seems like some people are still more than happy to just keep drinking the Kool aid, I thought we'd all know better by now after the previous leadership, guess not. If this is what best in class looks like, God help us all.
I think you're going a little bit overboard honestly. You haven't even seen what the product looks like on the ice and you're already saying the team is terrible. First of all, Jensen is an extremely quick defender. So some of that speed we lost with Joseph is replaced by Jensen. Jensen is not massively offensive, but a capable puck mover. He will be a compliment to Chabot. Pinto is also plenty fast.

I'll give you that the coach is a question mark. But Paul Maurice didn't win a cup until he did. In the final this year, he faced a coach who literally came out of the minors, picked the Oilers out of the dirt in November and brought them to a Stanley Cup final. I understand your pessimism, but don't you think its time to chill for a bit and see what we've actually got?

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I think you're going a little bit overboard honestly. You haven't even seen what the product looks like on the ice and you're already saying the team is terrible. First of all, Jensen is an extremely quick defender. So some of that speed we lost with Joseph is replaced by Jensen. Jensen is not massively offensive, but a capable puck mover. He will be a compliment to Chabot. Pinto is also plenty fast.

I'll give you that the coach is a question mark. But Paul Maurice didn't win a cup until he did. In the final this year, he faced a coach who literally came out of the minors, picked the Oilers out of the dirt in November and brought them to a Stanley Cup final. I understand your pessimism, but don't you think its time to chill for a bit and see what we've actually got?
Thats all there is left to do at this point. Can't change much until next year, so ya we'll see how it goes.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Rehashing? I quoted you directly from a recent post and responded to it.

And you just keep spewing how everything Staois is doing is crap without responding to any valid points that refute or challenge your point of view.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Rehashing? I quoted you directly from a recent post and responded to it.

And you just keep spewing how everything Staois is doing is crap without responding to any valid points that refute or challenge your point of view.
Yes, been hashed out a dozen time already, if youre actually interested in anything besides pointless back and forth, see previous posts.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Jensen is 34 this season and will be 36 if we resign, no thanks. Perron already cant keep up. None of these will be here in two years, Im praying theyre off the team by then or were in even bigger trouble. Amadio and Gregor arent key pieces for anything, theyre decent role players, thats it, and Amadio cap is higher than should be. Anyhow arguing in circles here, bottom line, none of the moves he's done aside from Ullmark warrants any commendation, theyre just bad all around, and not getting us any closer to building a real perennial contender.
Maybe this was all said but you're looking at too much of this on paper. It's the culture shift that Staios is after and that's hard to get excited about in a preseason analysis. It's fine that you're discounting what was done but we all know a change was needed and that change has less to do with injecting talent and more to do with attitude.

Say what you want about Noah Gregor on paper but he's a head down hard working type that does his talking on the ice and I for one think that's going to be important to breaking any kind of complacency and cliqueyness that might have be plaguing this team.

You're rightfully happy about Ullmark but his skill as an asset to the team is only half the story. An equal coup with him is that he is the penultimate pro who is very comfortable in his own skin and won't accept anything but focus and hard work from his teammates, similar to Giroux.

It's about injecting players that will make the young kids feel a little less comfortable and less in control of the ship. All of a sudden this isn't quite Brady's team like it was last year and that's a good thing. Nothing against Brady but a little bit more accountability might go a long way.

Staios has preached following a process and it's pretty glaring to me what they are after and I don't disagree with it at all. First culture, then tweak the talent pool. That to me is a logical sequence since all the talent in the world will get you nowhere without the right team mindset/attitude/culture.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Maybe this was all said but you're looking at too much of this on paper. It's the culture shift that Staios is after and that's hard to get excited about in a preseason analysis. It's fine that you're discounting what was done but we all know a change was needed and that change has less to do with injecting talent and more to do with attitude.

Say what you want about Noah Gregor on paper but he's a head down hard working type that does his talking on the ice and I for one think that's going to be important to breaking any kind of complacency and cliqueyness that might have be plaguing this team.

You're rightfully happy about Ullmark but his skill as an asset to the team is only half the story. An equal coup with him is that he is the penultimate pro who is very comfortable in his own skin and won't accept anything but focus and hard work from his teammates, similar to Giroux.

It's about injecting players that will make the young kids feel a little less comfortable and less in control of the ship. All of a sudden this isn't quite Brady's team like it was last year and that's a good thing. Nothing against Brady but a little bit more accountability might go a long way.

Staios has preached following a process and it's pretty glaring to me what they are after and I don't disagree with it at all. First culture, then tweak the talent pool. That to me is a logical sequence since all the talent in the world will get you nowhere without the right team mindset/attitude/culture.
Culture change was a driving force, yes I know that was a motive behind some moves, Perron especially. He stated as much in his presser when asked about what he was trying to accomplish with all these changes, and he said more professionalism and maturity and growth. I get that part. Some think it was worth the cost it took for the changes, but I don't see them as a net benefit, too much given up for too little in return, and don't think will have any meaningful lasting impact towards assembling a contending roster in the future either.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Culture change was a driving force, yes I know that was a motive behind some moves, Perron especially. He stated as much in his presser when asked about what he was trying to accomplish with all these changes, and he said more professionalism and maturity and growth. I get that part. Some think it was worth the cost it took for the changes, but I don't see them as a net benefit, too much given up for too little in return, and don't think will have any meaningful lasting impact towards assembling a contending roster in the future either.
Do you have any specific alternate outcomes you were hoping for this offseason?

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Folks getting bent over a bottom 6, inconsistent, forward being moved out. The team badly needed a turnover as what we had was negative synergy. Fantasy returns for players that are not that special is a fan's prerogative of course.

Last edited:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Except the return is really hard to measure until we start seeing it in action. Again, you seem to be analyzing on paper but paper gains weren't Staios' objective. A culture change was and that's a wait and see type deal.

There isn't really a talent analysis debate to be had here. SS has applied some addition by subtraction logic and you need to see how that plays out.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Yeah, read some comments about it afterwards and it's true, very possible so I added "But possibly a bridge was burnt with the organization... and Joseph had to go"

Sucks if that's the case. They should have traded him before the deadline then, doubt they would have needed to pay to move him then as he was having a very good season.

I mean, Jason Dickinson got signed for $4,250,000 x 2 years... How is Joseph a dump at 2.95? Timing. Not a time to sell marginal/support players
I seem to recall Dorion tried to unload him last summer to Philly and they wanted a 1st rounder in return. I think the only way they could've traded him without including a pick would've been retaining some of his salary but that wasn't in the cards. Suggest either SS has other moves he wants to make during the summer or he wants cap space to play with.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I seem to recall Dorion tried to unload him last summer to Philly and they wanted a 1st rounder in return. I think the only way they could've traded him without including a pick would've been retaining some of his salary but that wasn't in the cards. Suggest either SS has other moves he wants to make during the summer or he wants cap space to play with.

Makes you wonder why teams value him so poorly. From what I see on the ice, Joseph is a positive asset on the third line. And his cap hit isn't bad (not great value, but not terrible).

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Nothingburger trade to make cap room and roster room for a better fit.

We won’t miss him, and Perron is a much better player, always has been. Heck, Amadio is a better fit if he brings his game from
Vegas.

Nice speed and used it, but just couldn’t make much happen on the ice much like Branstrom.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Makes you wonder why teams value him so poorly. From what I see on the ice, Joseph is a positive asset on the third line. And his cap hit isn't bad (not great value, but not terrible).
I'm figuring it is the salary. His value is also determined by our leverage though. Bran at $2mil is unwanted but at $900k i bet there's a few teams that will take him. It makes a difference

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's not a secret, right? Ottawa was soft as baby shit and easy to play against, as well as likely being slightly immature, so staios has begun changing things so that it's a more workman, gritty approach than silky skill - which got us nowhere anyway.

I still would have likely to keep Joseph, but I certainly get the idea.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Do you have any specific alternate outcomes you were hoping for this offseason?
Lol man you just can't stop huh? Priorities are the same as you had. For starters, don't do this dumb trade. I'll take Tank over Perron anytime. Hire literally anyone than bottom barrel Green, even an uproven coach is a preferable option than one that has already proven he's a failure. Impossible to say how to deal Chykrun, I'm not privy to any inside info of what was available and what wasn't, picks/players etc, no one guessed Boston would agree to take Korpi, so anything is possible, but if you can't find a youngish RD to swap with that can be part of the teams future for several years, then look for best assets available and use those as trade bait later, sign a temporary plug in meantime if necessary. Sometimes you can't check all boxes adequately, prefer he'd done that than just make any underwhelming move just to say a need was addressed, while gifting away asset like its Christmas. Ullmark as is.

You're just not gonna convince me he's done a great job, and I'm clearly not gonna convince you either. Like I said, wrap it up fam, I've gone back and forth with you more than my ex at this point.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Not a chance!
Bruh, im not getting in an argument with you for fun just cause you desperately need it. I've already told you we've debated everything there is to debate in earlier posts, not gonna do it all over with you just cause you're late to the party. Find someone else to bother.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bruh, im not getting in an argument with you for fun just cause you desperately need it. I've already told you we've debated everything there is to debate in earlier posts, not gonna do it all over with you just cause you're late to the party. Find someone else to bother.
You never did offer any realistic alternatives to the moves Staios made, you just said outside of Ullmark they were terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad